The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

gnome12 completely different liquid!

More likely wine

6 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

As it is not a street, I assume it is a square, which would be the word "Platz" on the sign, which you cut out of the photo.

notamermaid

As far as I can tell there is no Prälat-Meixner Platz anywhere in Germany.

I get the feeling that we pay too much attention to the street name.

Georg Meixner went to Bamberg to the parish church of Our Lady as the fifth Chaplain according to Wikipedia.

So here is my guess; Bamberg - Wine loving Partygoers🍷🍷 - Main River.

Theo

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Renmar said:

I get the feeling that we pay too much attention to the street name.

For me that was the only way to get closer to the location as there were no distinctive other clues. Oddly there was no name of this fountain to be found when I did find the square in Bamberg. And I have had a go recently anyway...

I think it says "Kein Trinkwasser" on it, which means you cannot drink the water. Is this also the name, it is usually only a safety notice?

They look jovial. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Good job on keeping us from getting the exact image – google images thinks this is a flowerpot!

Hilarious - thought you were joking but, nope, you were serious. Kinda resembles a  Chia planter/flower pot.😂

59 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

For me that was the only way to get closer to the location as there were no distinctive other clues. Oddly there was no name of this fountain to be found when I did find the square in Bamberg. And I have had a go recently anyway...

I think it says "Kein Trinkwasser" on it, which means you cannot drink the water. Is this also the name, it is usually only a safety notice?

Yes, I too wondered why it would be Trinkwasser if referencing wine. I also could find no fountains/sculptures with that name. Wish Google street view was available in the area.

9 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Hoffman statue

E.T.A. Hoffmann - the great Romantic writer and author of the "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King". I did not know that he had lived in Bamberg. I really need to revisit Bamberg, my memories of the town are very hazy, so long ago.

This is the house he lived in: https://en.bamberg.info/poi/eta_hoffmanns_house-4668/

notamermaid

I will have a look at my picture files tonight and see what I can find. Except for the west coast here, you will find out tomorrow.

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Wish Google street view was available in the area.

This is the main reason why Google street view is not available for Germany. According to this think-tank.

https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/germany-street-view

Theo

If you can name the location - town & river it will be your turn to post the next picture. This place could be reached very easy from 2 rivers so either one will be fine, if you can name both you score an extra point 🙂.

Theo

2143281464_0255(2).JPG.5dc1c5b6af4b38013edf82765a39359c.JPG

That is probably a reference to tomcat Murr, the cat on his shoulder, or the cat that he took his inspiration for the satirical novel from. As part of German studies it was suggested reading, but unfortunately I never took up the suggestion. I think I should read it soon. They say it is his masterpiece. I have found an excerpt. Murr reflecting on humans and their perceived greatness (my translation): "... they pride themselves much on something that is supposed to reside in their heads and which they call reason."

A lovely mirror for us, 200 years old but oh so valid to this day.

That photo of Renmar, though, does not seem to come from reason, more a nightmare. Would not want to meet that in a dark alley. Is it in a theme park?

notamermaid

8 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

It looks a bit like a Triceratops which was a plant eater (see I have been listening to my grandson)also looks like the photo was taken nearly in the dark, maybe a cave system exhibit. Hummmm a bit more research is needed! CA

You are getting in the right direction,

Theo

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It looks a bit like the Tarascon monster but if so, it must be a statue that I didn't see. Looks different from the ones that I have pictures of.

I have no idea what the creature is called but this statue is somewhere underground. Like I said, @Canal archive has the right thought.

Theo

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Do you mean the Rhine and the Meuse?

notamermaid

👍Yes, those are the rivers. 

If you remember some of my earlier posting you might know which country.

Theo

Edited by Renmar