The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Ok, phew. When I saw the answer I thought I was a complete idiot for not remembering this. We have sailed this stretch of river and there is no way I would have missed a structure of this size.

Turns out that it wasn't done until 2012, and we sailed this route in 2010. So we may have seen some construction but not the finished bridge.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I'm not seeing a picture.

Try a different browser.  I'm often getting problems with Firefox lately - I see a tag "might be a picture of a ..." but no picture.  Switch to Safari and voila! there is is.

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Try a different browser.  I'm often getting problems with Firefox lately - I see a tag "might be a picture of a ..." but no picture.  Switch to Safari and voila! there is is.

Strangely, now I see it on the same browser as before.

Oder river? Can't be, it is all "Blühende Landschaften". :classic_wink: I hope they do not look like this any more. On a more serious note, I do remember the sad state of Wismar when I went there in 1991 I think. The fronts of some sights and the two or three main streets were renovated, but the back alleys and private houses were in no good condition, many of them.

This photo from the first moment said to me: "Normandy!". Not sure why, but I think it really is on the Seine.

I imagine a fairy-tale character straight from the Brothers Grimm's book coming out of the house. It took me a while to think who. Now I know: Frau Holle! It reminds me of imagery from Frau Holle.

notamermaid

Think outside of Paris. Marie is a big clue; this hamlet was built for her.

PS nice pix, Robin. The first one was instantly recognizable and the lake and tower just clinched it for me.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Yes, it's probably the least-visited part of this immensely popular site. When we were here 9 years ago, it was not crowded at all. The rest of the place? Mobbed.

It helps that this part is in a far corner and you have to walk a good distance to get there. Since Chris and I have severe FOMO, of course we went to this part. And everywhere else...

OK, since nobody else has jumped in yet, and it's my birthday tomorrow, I'll go ahead and name the site.

This is the "Queen's Hamlet" or L'hameau de la Reine in the gardens at Versailles. It's a cute little place to stroll through and we enjoyed it. But you'll never see it if you're on a standard tour I suspect, because there isn't time to see the palace and the gardens and all of the fountains, and the Trianons, and then come here too.

But it's a fun place. They grow grapes for wine, so it's my kind of hamlet!

DSC_0221.thumb.JPG.93a3c309958de17d53a4a52cd81d3caf.JPG

And, here's the building in Robin's picture of the reflection. It was a bit windy when we were there I guess, so no nice reflections for us. It's supposed to be a mill.

IMG_6797.thumb.JPG.fe4a47ac10c3d905eab6bc98c3d59664.JPG

We did Versailles separately from Paris, before a 2012 cruise. Flew to CDG, took the RER directly to Versailles, and stayed right there (a nice Ritz-Carlton near the park gate). We had pretty much two full days to explore the grounds and we went all over. Very nice way to start a vacation (what is a vacation again?)!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

OK, since nobody else has jumped in yet, and it's my birthday tomorrow, I'll go ahead and name the site.

This is the "Queen's Hamlet" or L'hameau de la Reine in the gardens at Versailles. It's a cute little place to stroll through and we enjoyed it. But you'll never see it if you're on a standard tour I suspect, because there isn't time to see the palace and the gardens and all of the fountains, and the Trianons, and then come here too.

And, here's the building in Robin's picture of the reflection. It was a bit windy when we were there I guess, so no nice reflections for us. It's supposed to be a mill.

We did Versailles separately from Paris, before a 2012 cruise. Flew to CDG, took the RER directly to Versailles, and stayed right there (a nice Ritz-Carlton near the park gate). We had pretty much two full days to explore the grounds and we went all over. Very nice way to start a vacation (what is a vacation again?)!

Happy early birthday!

I have yet to go to Paris but was supposed to be there last May. I will get there some day! When researching it - I realized I really had not planned enough time to see Versailles and Giverny (plus Paris). So my hope to return and spend enough time to see both of these places fully! Thanks for the tip on the Ritz!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Happy Birthday! You are correct. Uniworld offered a tour of the Petit Trianon along with the Hamlet. The Queen’s House was being renovated when we were there. Kind of took away from the ambiance. Over to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The photo, hmm. What puzzles me a bit is the river looks like a meander at first, but the section to the right looks higher and has a tow path. I am wondering if it is a canal or different river. The lush greenery looks European, I would say the Douro, also as the red pipe-like tiles and banister (?) make me think of Southern European countries. They look renovated, with the cables against lightning. A famous castle tower perhaps?

notamermaid

It is very green and lush in this part of the woods, yes. Beautiful place to visit in the spring, and you'd never know that you are only a short tram ride from a very big city. Good observation of the river and adjacent Canal.

Not the Douro, but a different river in a different country. The red tiles are somewhat out of place.

Edited by jpalbny

Felicitations on your natal day @jpalbny🎂 - hope you have a wonderful b-day.

Would that short train ride take you to Munich? Is that the Isar river and adjacent canal?

Not sure where Chris is standing - the only place that I can think of is Grünwald castle (we didn't do the tower).

Edited by dogs4fun