CDC Issues Blistering New Attack on Cruise Industry

While the cruise industry awaited a decision on the No-Sail-Order to be issued, the CDC now recommends that travelers defer all cruise travel worldwide.

The decision from the CDC to issue this advice is surprising, to say the least. It will undoubtedly shock the cruise industry, which has been making positive noises in the last weeks about sailing to take place this year.

https://www.cruisehive.com/cdc-issues-warning-against-all-cruise-travel-worldwide/42932

• Thanks 1

I've seen that. As someone said it's a power grab that they control you. They cant say dont fly, or avoid flying, they cant say dont go for a week at disney or a A1.

Cruising is all they have control of, so now its ocean or river cruises. Someone said there is a small river cruise out of Quebec that's been safe for 3.5 months, but cdc says avoid it. Otherwise they have no power. 

If they mentioned other things as possible avoids they would have more credibility.

I was reading that Dr faucci wrote a paper about how many people died during the spanish flu, from bacterial in the masks they wore. Well one more thing to worry about.

It's just one opinion. Avoid all cruises.... nothing else. Everything else is apparently safe to do. Whew. So glad. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

The CDC made it clear at the beginning of the month that they want cruises halted until mid-February. As a compromise, they agreed to continue the month-to-month delays. 2-3 weeks they will delay until Dec 15...the don't want to impact those XMas and NYE cruises yet. If they have to delay for 2020 a few week later, it will be until Feb 15th then. 

Protocols need to be in place when cruising does restart. Testing is not the full answer. I didn't know until recently that someone with covid will test positive for 3-6 months after. That will need to be managed between the DHHS database and test facilities. The same will happen for anyone that is on a vaccine trial or received a vaccine (if available). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

This isn't really anything new... at the bottom of the notice is says:

This notice was originally posted March 17, 2020.

Despite when it was originally posted, it is clear it has been updated.

Two things to consider...

1. This notice will make it much more difficult for cruise lines to defend themselves from liability cases brought by those who come down with COVID or are affected.  Cruise lines will certainly be more hesitant to resume sailings.

2.  This pandemic is far from over.  Cases are increasing here in America and worldwide.  No corners have been turned.  Wisdom dictates a responsible approach

Edited by yogimax
  • Like 10

Since it is posted on the CDC website as an update I would think that pretty much ensures that the No Sail order will be extended.  Even so. if extended thru November the cruise lines have already cancelled November themselves

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

The CDC made it clear at the beginning of the month that they want cruises halted until mid-February. As a compromise, they agreed to continue the month-to-month delays. 2-3 weeks they will delay until Dec 15...the don't want to impact those XMas and NYE cruises yet. If they have to delay for 2020 a few week later, it will be until Feb 15th then. 

It wasn’t a compromise, they were overruled by the WH. I think everyone will have a very good idea when cruising will resume after the election results next week. Cruises will either start in the near future or most likely not until 2022, depending on who wins the election.  Not trying to make a political statement, just stating the obvious. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, yogimax said:

1. This notice will make it much more difficult for cruise lines to defend themselves from liability cases brought by those who come down with COVID or are affected.  Cruise lines will certainly be more hesitant to resume sailings.

2.  This pandemic is far from over.  Cases are increasing here in America and worldwide.  No corners have been turned.  Wisdom dictates a responsible approach

The CDC also doesn't want anyone to go to Mexico:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-mexico

But US Airlines will fly you there, and US based hotel chains will rent you a hotel room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I believe this warning has been published for every country.

Yes, here is Canada:  https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-canada

But since Canada won't let American's visit (because of our out of control COVID-19 epidemic), I figured Mexico was a better example.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

The CDC also doesn't want anyone to go to Mexico:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-mexico

But US Airlines will fly you there, and US based hotel chains will rent you a hotel room.

In fact I just returned from a week in Cancun.  Very rigorous virus safety protocols at the resort.   Felt “safer” there than here in the U.S. - the CDC homeland.  The flights going and returning were full (well, to the extent Delta allows currently).

39 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

2022?  Seems a tad pessimistic. 

I don’t think so. Just look at Disney for example. Disney World in Florida has been open since July, while Disney Land in California has remained closed with no indication it will open any time soon. The difference is who is in charge of both states. If the CDC doesn’t have to worry about being overruled by the WH, they will likely continue the shutdown of the cruise industry indefinitely. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t think so. Just look at Disney for example. Disney World in Florida has been open since July, while Disney Land in California has remained closed with no indication it will open any time soon. The difference is who is in charge of both states. If the CDC doesn’t have to worry about being overruled by the WH, they will likely continue the shutdown of the cruise industry indefinitely. 

I've heard talk a few times that disney might pull up stakes in calif and move it to another state where they can open. It would hurt all the small businesses around, but there doesnt seem to be any way they can open soon in Calif. Tennessee and Texas mentioned. Idk

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've heard talk a few times that disney might pull up stakes in calif and move it to another state where they can open. It would hurt all the small businesses around, but there doesnt seem to be any way they can open soon in Calif. Tennessee and Texas mentioned. Idk

Can you provide more information about this? Where did you hear it? I'm very curious to read about it.

6 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/09/disneyland-not-moving-to-texas-tm1/

Debunking the Disneyland is moving to Texas or elsewhere rumor..

I thought that the idea of doing that sounded a bit unbelievable. It's not like they can just roll a bunch of flatbed trucks up and relocate everything. It would take years to relocate a theme park, probably far longer than just waiting to reopen.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 5

“I’ve heard talk...” and other similar phrases are used by sleazy politicians and others to spread totally ridiculous stories and still be able to say with an almost straight face that they didn’t say it. Even with the disclaimer it is still spreading ridiculous stories. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

“I’ve heard talk...” and other similar phrases are used by sleazy politicians and others to spread totally ridiculous stories and still be able to say with an almost straight face that they didn’t say it. Even with the disclaimer it is still spreading ridiculous stories. 

CNBC and fbn are sleazy politicians in disguise.

I took it as a way possibly to put some pressure on calif governor to let them open. Not that they meant it. ... just a way to pressure to open. Not that it would happen. Agree too much to move.,just pressure tactic. 

Excuse for their earnings, though disney plus is looking good. Talking heads talk about earnings. It's what they do. 

1 hour ago, TXHappyCruiser said:

The CDC would lock everyone in their home for the foreseeable future if they had their way.  

This could have stopped it in 2 months, but it would have required a massive military state and shutting down all forms of transportation. Everyone hunker down in their home, if you are out of food, MREs dropped off. But, we are not a country willing to do that and it has nothing to do with who is running the House, Congress, or WH. The People would have never accepted it.

• Like 3