CDC: "Defer All Cruise Travel"

mightycruisequeen

20 minutes ago, bizeesheri said:

They still have a cruise not cancelled to Australia and I've heard its likely closed through 2021.   

Australia and Canada are not likely to open until at the very earliest next summer.  I wouldn't book a cruise to either location until 2022.  I think the Caribbean and Med (if you can get there) will be the first openings and some sooner than later.  

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Australia and Canada are not likely to open until at the very earliest next summer.  I wouldn't book a cruise to either location until 2022.  I think the Caribbean and Med (if you can get there) will be the first openings and some sooner than later.  

And yet HAL appears to be heavily betting on Alaska as a destination for the summer of 2021, even re-deploying the Zuiderdam from Europe to Alaska (in place of one of the smaller ships) PLUS at least 4 other ships....?

How will that work if Canada remains closed?

27 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

And yet HAL appears to be heavily betting on Alaska as a destination for the summer of 2021, even re-deploying the Zuiderdam from Europe to Alaska (in place of one of the smaller ships) PLUS at least 4 other ships....?

There are political machinations occurring.  I think Alaska is betting on an executive order.  And yet, HAL is not alone in booking Alaska, seems the whole industry is thinking Alaska is a go.  It is not on my choice of destinations, been there a few times, done that.  

4 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Roger that. (Though it's great if you've never been.)

Next time I am driving then ferry hopping, long term dream of mine.   The cruises were all family affairs, lots of fun but after a few cruises I am ready to go elsewhere.  Nothing wrong with Alaska

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am curious as to how you know this.  I don't recall reading anything about the President and the Governor being involved.

We live in Tampa, and the local newspapers were full of it.  DeSantis did not want the ship to disembark, despite the fact that there were many Americans and some Floridians aboard.  It was reported that Trump called our governor and demanded that the ship be allowed in.  Residents of South Florida were also against the disembarkation for obvious reasons and DeSantis was listening to them.   

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Please check your politics at the door. Our lives are saturated with politics right now. We don't need them here.

The question was asked as to how I knew and I stated the facts.  It had nothing to do with political opinion.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

HAL is shooting themselves in the foot IMO.

I love the Volendam but the Zuiderdam itinerary was really nice and it has basically been changed to crap 💩 IMO.

The Zuiderdam sailing I was on seemed to be selling really well.  Few verandahs left, few NS’s left from what I could see and we had a pretty active roll call and the sailing was more than a year away.

Some people have started to jump ship already and the email isn’t even 24 hours old yet.

I suspect by next year, Canada will open if there is some semblance of control and/or a vaccine.  It’s going to be closed every month while things are as they are pandemic wise.

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

There are political machinations occurring.  I think Alaska is betting on an executive order.  

That would be a bet with very low odds of winning.  The PVSA statute clearly states that waivers must be due to matters of national defense.  And even if a waiver did somehow occur, the American flagged lines like American Cruise Lines and Adventure Smith, who have to abide by US tax, safety, crew, labor and wage laws aren't exactly going to let it pass without a fight. 

Edited by Aquahound

3 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

The question was asked as to how I knew and I stated the facts.  It had nothing to do with political opinion.  

Thank you for your response.  I asked the question because it was something of which I was not aware.  No political insinuation was intended in my question.  

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

That would be a bet with very low odds of winning.  The PVSA statute clearly states that waivers must be due to matters of national defense.  And even if a waiver did somehow occur, the American flagged lines like American Cruise Lines and Adventure Smith, who have to abide by US tax, safety, crew, labor and wage laws aren't exactly going to let it pass without a fight. 

Just relaying the news reports.