Maintenance continues on the cruise ships

On 11/20/2020 at 10:47 AM, SeaDog-46 said:

P&O Au. Pacific Explorer ex Dawn Princess went into Singapores Sembawang drydock yesterday.

Several other cruise ships are still in the Singapore area including Sapphire Princess.

Looks like Voyager is in there now.

I wonder what they’re doing to it?

I think something for test cruises in Sydney???

They might have to modify the ships to include bigger medical facilities and quarantine areas that are isolated from the public areas onboard (ie not just a section of cabins in a passenger deck). Possibly also more crew accommodation so the crew quarters are not so cramped.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They might have to modify the ships to include bigger medical facilities and quarantine areas that are isolated from the public areas onboard (ie not just a section of cabins in a passenger deck). Possibly also more crew accommodation so the crew quarters are not so cramped.

The hospital has to be bigger and onboard testing facilities .

I’m pretty sure next season will happen and I think the cruise lines will have to demonstrate to our governments they have their act together.

Royal has expressed they want to do test cruises in Asia Pacific.

Its now up to our governments.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

One of the CDC recommendations to the cruise industry was improved medical facilities, beds, staff, equipment etc. Ships medical staff generally have their cabins in that area, they might have to knock a few walls down to enlarge the medical centre and accommodate medical staff elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The hospital has to be bigger and onboard testing facilities .

I’m pretty sure next season will happen and I think the cruise lines will have to demonstrate to our governments they have their act together.

Royal has expressed they want to do test cruises in Asia Pacific.

Its now up to our governments.

More importantly will our governments State and Federal insist that the cruiselines follow CDC policy, if they adopt the lot, the cruising constraints will be ginormous and unacceptable to cruisers.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

More importantly will our governments State and Federal insist that the cruiselines follow CDC policy, if they adopt the lot, the cruising constraints will be ginormous and unacceptable to cruisers.

I think it will be like a lot of things , It will start of pretty Rustic and they will smooth the bumps out.

Thats the whole idea of test cruises.

They could have Pacific Explorer and Voyager of the seas in Sydney before next season to iron the creases out.

3-4 night cruises to Eden,I’m sure you would be up for it?

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I think it will be like a lot of things , It will start of pretty Rustic and they will smooth the bumps out.

Thats the whole idea of test cruises.

They could have Pacific Explorer and Voyager of the seas in Sydney before next season to iron the creases out.

3-4 night cruises to Eden,I’m sure you would be up for it?

but ...would Eden be up for it ? 

14 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

In what way ?

Just talking about trial cruises.

The lines can get in a few punters with a half decent itinerary,give the locals a couple of bucks..

We can drive down there in 5 hours so I can’t see a difference.

14 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I am sure Eden would be up for it, new cruiseship wharf has been built and associated building infrastructure in progress. I was down there a fortnight ago, just under 3 hr drive from me. Ships could operate from there on short cruises, plenty of car parking and daily bus services ex Sydney. Many ships have called into Eden before, the locals want the ships, maybe one at a time only though. Certainly I would drive down there, park my car and go on say a 4 or 5 day coastie.

41 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I am sure Eden would be up for it, new cruiseship wharf has been built and associated building infrastructure in progress. I was down there a fortnight ago, just under 3 hr drive from me. Ships could operate from there on short cruises, plenty of car parking and daily bus services ex Sydney. Many ships have called into Eden before, the locals want the ships, maybe one at a time only though. Certainly I would drive down there, park my car and go on say a 4 or 5 day coastie.

Quantum and ovation call in there next season,it’s a lovely deep water port.

It would better than a cruise to nowhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed, and if Ben Boyd national park is open (all access areas) then even better.

Ben Boyd NP was open a couple of weeks ago Mic, Tower is accessible.  The park was closed most of the year post fires, regrowth is great.

Just sad that the wharf building infrastructure has been abandoned as declared unsafe, fish and chip shops, 3 or 4 restaurants and cafes, water police stn etc. Those eateries did alright from the ships and general tourism.  The deep sea trawlers operate from Eden, couple of real big ones.

• Like 1