New vaccine

hollyjess

50 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Update on ‘the morning after’! My wife and I had the AZ vaccine yesterday. We have both had slight reactions, but different to those reported by others.

My issue has been my arm. It’s quite painful and disturbed my sleep quite a bit last night. I also had a stiff neck which may or may not be related. It dawned on me last night that when I had my flu jab, the pharmacist told me to let my arm go very limp and she pinched my skin as she injected. Not only did I not feel it at all, but I had no inflammation or pain afterwards, which I usually do. Yesterday, although the nurse made a point of telling us that she had been a nurse for 46 years, she did neither of these things and I felt the needle (only slightly). There is no redness, swelling or ‘hot to touch’ sensation at the vaccination site but it’s more painful than I have experienced with other jabs. Other than the arm, I feel OK. 

My wife said that she felt a little bit out of sorts last night, but she has MS and her immune system is a bit shot (hence the group 6 categorisation). Thankfully, she almost never gets colds, but if she gets anything it can really immobilise her. The very little movement that she does have seems even more compromised as a result of the effects of the jab. For those who are familiar with MS symptoms, she says that it feels as though she is having an ‘episode’. We are hopeful (and optimistic) that this will pass by tomorrow.

As long as my wife returns to her previous position, we would consider these to be small prices to pay for the prospect of life returning to normal and we both feel very relieved to have had the jab. My only advice would be let your arm go very limp, which I will try to remember for my 2nd one!

Really glad you have both had your injection. I can recognise the “episode” syndrome very well and hope she feels better soon 

Michelle

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good tip.

I hope both your side effects vanish quickly.

It definitely is worth getting the jab as covid19 from personal experience is nasty.

Our Sarah has just rang to say her covid19 test yesterday was positive.

She is a key worker and had a fit at work last week and unfortunately the friend who brought her home got a positive test a couple of days later.

Graham, I hope that your Sarah is not too ill and that she recovers quickly.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good tip.

It definitely is worth getting the jab as covid19 from personal experience is nasty.

She is a key worker and had a fit at work last week and unfortunately the friend who brought her home got a positive test a couple of days later.

Just an update, I am feeling much better post jab. Wednesday night / Thursday morning was bad and yesterday I was feeling ‘under the weather’ but a good nights sleep and I am now feeling almost back to normal. My injected upper arm is still a bit stiff - I guess I didn’t relax it sufficiently, even though I was told to. 
Just to echo Graham’s comments - although I haven’t had Covid myself, I know people who have had it and been hospitalised. Any temporary after effects of the jab pass in a day or so and compared to the risk of catching Covid and potentially extending any lockdowns or restrictions even further, it is a tiny price to pay for getting back to normal. Of course, the after effects only apply to a minority, most are completely fine anyway. I was just unlucky.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 6

delgirl - delighted to hear of your result.  At present, we are supposed to be hearing from the roving team that they will be visiting us.  However, I have been in touch with the local MP by email on and off, and now one of his staff who replies says if we don't hear by Monday she will get in touch with whoever and make sure we get 'done' pronto.  The most heartening news I have had, and improves my impression of our politicians by a notch or three - if it works.

Obviously making a fuss can make a difference, although it should not be necessary.

Hope your daughter's jabs go smoothly; you will feel very relieved.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Update on ‘the morning after’! My wife and I had the AZ vaccine yesterday. We have both had slight reactions, but different to those reported by others.

My issue has been my arm. It’s quite painful and disturbed my sleep quite a bit last night. I also had a stiff neck which may or may not be related. It dawned on me last night that when I had my flu jab, the pharmacist told me to let my arm go very limp and she pinched my skin as she injected. Not only did I not feel it at all, but I had no inflammation or pain afterwards, which I usually do. Yesterday, although the nurse made a point of telling us that she had been a nurse for 46 years, she did neither of these things and I felt the needle (only slightly). There is no redness, swelling or ‘hot to touch’ sensation at the vaccination site but it’s more painful than I have experienced with other jabs. Other than the arm, I feel OK. 

My wife said that she felt a little bit out of sorts last night, but she has MS and her immune system is a bit shot (hence the group 6 categorisation). Thankfully, she almost never gets colds, but if she gets anything it can really immobilise her. The very little movement that she does have seems even more compromised as a result of the effects of the jab. For those who are familiar with MS symptoms, she says that it feels as though she is having an ‘episode’. We are hopeful (and optimistic) that this will pass by tomorrow.

As long as my wife returns to her previous position, we would consider these to be small prices to pay for the prospect of life returning to normal and we both feel very relieved to have had the jab. My only advice would be let your arm go very limp, which I will try to remember for my 2nd one!

I hope your wife is feeling a bit better this morning and that it is a reaction and not an episode.🙏

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I also had a sore arm a few days later. Lasted about 2/3 days. No mark but sore to touch. I hope your wife is feeling better soon. I worry when my daughter has hers on saturday as she had stem cell treatment in mexico 3 yrs ago (it didn't work) and hasn't had an injection since. Hopefully it won't be too bad a reaction if she does have one. Please give my regards to your wife and hope she is better soon.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good tip.

Sorry to hear about the positive test, hope she isn’t too ill and recovers quickly. 
I had a test yesterday in Hosp, just waiting for results. Spent 11 hours on assessment ward yesterday, apparently I have an ectopic heart rhythm and have been referred to cardiac team.

Michelle

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

delgirl - delighted to hear of your result.  At present, we are supposed to be hearing from the roving team that they will be visiting us.  However, I have been in touch with the local MP by email on and off, and now one of his staff who replies says if we don't hear by Monday she will get in touch with whoever and make sure we get 'done' pronto.  The most heartening news I have had, and improves my impression of our politicians by a notch or three - if it works.

Obviously making a fuss can make a difference, although it should not be necessary.

Hope your daughter's jabs go smoothly; you will feel very relieved.

Thank you. I am glad you seem to be getting somewhere. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Just had a text from my doctor's.

I have been invited for my vaccine jab on Wednesday.

I have an eye appointment with the consultant in the Wednesday morning so I have booked the vaccine jab for 5pm at Millfield health centre Sunderland.

Excellent news 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I have an eye appointment with the consultant in the Wednesday morning so I have booked the vaccine jab for 5pm at Millfield health centre Sunderland.

That’s brilliant news for you, you never know they might offer it to Pauline as well 

Michelle

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pleased to hear you got your text at last Graham .:classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Great news Graham. I'm really happy for you. I also hope your Sarah isn't too poorly with this awful virus. Let's  hope her symptoms are few and her recovery quick. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Great news, good to hear that things are moving forward.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thats great news. Did you do a jib around the room when you heard!!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That’s good news Graham 😊

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Sorry to hear about the positive test, hope she isn’t too ill and recovers quickly. 
I had a test yesterday in Hosp, just waiting for results. Spent 11 hours on assessment ward yesterday, apparently I have an ectopic heart rhythm and have been referred to cardiac team.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle.

I hope your test is negative.

Sorry to hear about your referral to the cardiac team.

If there is a problem it is best to get it treated ASAP.

My mild heart attack was treated very quickly but could have been fatal if they had not found the blockage in my circumflex artery during angiogram.

Take care and best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kalos said:

Pleased to hear you got your text at last Graham .:classic_smile:

Thanks Kalos.

Our Sarah got a positive covid19 result this morning.

She is 40 and has epilepsy but as a civil servant she has worked at the office through all lockdowns.

She sounded positive on the phone this morning but felt tired but she regularly feels tired after a fit.

Graham.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, L751 said:

Has anyone on here had there jab,  who is alergic to penicillin, and was there any side effects 

My wife had a slight allergy, and had the Pfizer vaccine with no problems.BUT, all allergies are different - you need proper medical advice, not individual anecdotes.