THE EDGE

Himself

On 11/23/2020 at 6:20 PM, Himself said:

Doone i agree.  I wish it was a HAL ship sailing in.  The APEX and the EDGE must be anchored in the Bahamas.

Whole bunch of Royal & Celebrity ships anchored off Coco Cay in the Bahamas. They bring one ship into a Florida port every couple of weeks. Fresh provisions, mail call, crew changes, all for the whole anchorage fleet.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:37 PM, Rotterdam said:

I would pick a trip on QE2 OR FRANCE over QM2. I enjoyed my 3 cruises on QM2 but certainly couldn't compare w her predecessors.🚢

Interesting. I have sailed on France ( once 50 years ago) - several times on QE2 and QM2. Although a traditionalist, I would rate the QM2’s seakeeping qualities much higher than QE2 and there is no comparison on the facilities - except maybe grills restaurants which I thought were more attractive on the QE2

On 11/23/2020 at 11:00 AM, SeaWatch12 said:

I have to say, I can't believe the Celebrity Edge class bashing I have seen on the Holland America board. 

Truly hope not all HAL passengers are so inconsiderate. It's kind of making me rethink my HAL reservation.

Perhaps the original poster was being sarcastic.🙂

I have travelled quite a few times on HAL and only once on Celebrity but I must say I actually like the new design of the Edge. Unfortunately, these boards have a number of people who defend their favourite lines by bashing another. Take it with a grain of salt. I like what I like. I travel on what I like and in which class I like. I am travelling to please myself not others.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Doubt It said:

This class of Celebrity ship does not have a forward viewing area. Really, no way to see where you are going. 

That is not acceptable what so ever. What rot!

Let's be a bit fair.  The Edge Class is not the only such cruise ship Class that lacks that forward viewing area.   MSC Meraviglia did not have that except for Yacht Club guests who had access to the YC Lounge that had a forward view.  I have little doubt that there are other vessels that lack the view.  HAL ships have had that as an unheralded amenity that is often not recognized except in reviews people write after their cruise.  It surely has not been a feature of any HAL advertising of which I am aware.    

39 minutes ago, Bramcruiser said:

I have travelled quite a few times on HAL and only once on Celebrity but I must say I actually like the new design of the Edge. Unfortunately, these boards have a number of people who defend their favourite lines by bashing another. Take it with a grain of salt. I like what I like. I travel on what I like and in which class I like. I am travelling to please myself not others.

Dear Bramcruiser, thank you for your reply, appreciate it. Mark

On 11/27/2020 at 6:42 PM, Rotterdam said:

The big corporations have once again turned something special into a mundane product...just like they did with the airlines.

Mundane is not a word I would use to describe my Edge cruises. I would describe them as amazing. Celebrity is a fantastic cruise line. In fact, I favor Celebrity over some so-called premium lines like Oceania. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Let's be a bit fair.  The Edge Class is not the only such cruise ship Class that lacks that forward viewing area.   MSC Meraviglia did not have that except for Yacht Club guests who had access to the YC Lounge that had a forward view.  I have little doubt that there are other vessels that lack the view.  HAL ships have had that as an unheralded amenity that is often not recognized except in reviews people write after their cruise.  It surely has not been a feature of any HAL advertising of which I am aware.    

Thank you for posting. Your are right.

The world changes, but I certainly will require to see where I am going. I have pictures of islands rising from the oceans, approach to Venice, approach to Rio, leaving Ushuaia, SA . No way will I travel on a vessel where I can not see where I am going.

Others can rationalize anyway they want, but reality is ships go to a point, maybe you might wish to see where you are going.

Cruising has mostly eliminated this basic principle of ship life.

• Like 2