River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Okay I’ve hit a tech challenge again I attempted to post a drinking picture of Vieux harbour and it keeps transferring black oh well ,it it is a super place to relax with your favourite tipple and watch the world go by. If you get the chance don’t miss it.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Okay I’ve hit a tech challenge again I attempted to post a drinking picture of Vieux harbour and it keeps transferring black oh well ,it it is a super place to relax with your favourite tipple and watch the world go by. If you get the chance don’t miss it.

Maybe you had a blackout from the tipple under one of those gamps. 🙄😉

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Drinking does tend to cause blackouts.  Maybe try it with a picture of zero alcohol wine!  🤣

[oops… posted before noting that @CPT Trips had already made the same joke!]

I certainly appreciate the occasional tipple especially in excellent company be it face to face or over the (ether, airwaves - my age) oh got it the net! Although zero alcohol wine to me has always seemed a non sequitur the other reason for loosing the cognitive ability is even more horrific to contemplate and I will hang on kicking and screaming so pick up the jokes across the pond this getting older lady enjoys the banter.

It is a lovely place! I hope you can eventually get your picture posted.

20180916_172811.thumb.jpg.57cead48c2abf86f2edd596a6dce9b74.jpg

I believe that some cidre may have been consumed just before this picture was taken!

On our first Seine cruise the tour guide told us a story of an apple farmer/cider maker and his pipe smoking dog, now his explanation was a peep smoking dog you can imagine a coach load of Brits and Aussie’s at this. If anyone now mentions cider and dogs at the same time well it’s out of this world. Being a Brit now in the cider area of the U.K. I must admit to actually really appreciating Normandy Cider if your in the U.K. do watch out for the real! rough stuff it’s really leathal. 

Lovely, all those photos of ships and water and attractive buildings, folks. Have not had time to go to the river much but I spotted one river cruise ship the other day while I was there. The madness of this world, not just politically, is made more bearable with thoughts of travel and photographs of calm waters. And in my case cats help a lot as well. 😊

After unhappy developments and my neighbour's tomcat in an animal home with dogs and cats and no chance of return, the lady had to make the decision to get a new cat. She was given one (for free) not long ago and that one came with a surprise. About four weeks ago we had a stray tom cat trying to get her attention. My neighbour then said that her cat would not be interested because she had just had a kitten! It was one week old at the time and was just opening its eyes. With her kitten getting weaned the cat is now out and about more and getting used to the neighbours including me. She is busy exploring...

notamermaid

I live vicariously through friends with cats as DH is really allergic to them but if we visit friends with cats they all make a b-line for him one in particular a Siamese, beautiful cat will sit on him the only human she will acknowledge. 

Posted (edited)

Have any river cruise companies got their boats in Paris this Friday? Wow if they have!

It looks like the actual event is North of the Eiffel Tower and the river cruise companies moor south.

Edited by Canal archive

At the moment it looks to be only the Seine Princesse (CroisiEurope). She is short, 110m. Remember that ships of only 125m are allowed to dock at Port de Grenelle. They do not go upstream, i.e. past the Eiffel Tower.

I wonder if there are further restrictions in place today.

notamermaid

12 hours ago, notamermaid said:

At the moment it looks to be only the Seine Princesse (CroisiEurope). She is short, 110m. Remember that ships of only 125m are allowed to dock at Port de Grenelle. They do not go upstream, i.e. past the Eiffel Tower.

I wonder if there are further restrictions in place today.

notamermaid

I saw on the national news here in the US that some people who live on houseboats were asked to move and then given tickets to events as compensation. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Although we ended up with Silver, it's our best yet for women's rugby. This year seems to be the year we are diversifying to excelling in new sports, so it's making it more interesting. 

• Like 1

It is summer, the rivers are warm and loved by insects, especially when they are slow-flowing or almost stagnant. Vienna is having some problems (see my post in the Danube thread). The Rhine is cleaner than it was 20 years ago but the Altrhein and the old meanders are breeding grounds for little creatures. But I bet they are all a bit cleaner and emptier of stuff than the Seine. Swimmers were not happy, even after testing. Why on earth the authorities thought that it is a good idea the let them swim were the waters have already passed half of Paris is a mystery to me. I would have thought they could go to Fontainebleau or Évry. But what do I know...

notamermaid

• Like 2

On 8/1/2024 at 7:03 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

You've heard of Schrödinger's Cat?  Here's @pontac's parrot!  🤣

Thanks for crediting me with vinous knowledge.

The man obviously hasn't got Ch Cheval Blanc but I don't understand the cartoon, nor why the knives & fork are placed on the wrong side.

I was told by a sommelier some years ago that his biggest mistake of his career was on a very busy night when some staff hadn't turned up. A rich host ordered Ch Cheval Blanc for his guests and the sommelier was so busy he forgot to show the bottle before opening and pouring it.

The host later had a word with the sommelier; he thought he'd ordered a white wine! (His guests were thrilled so he took their plaudits.)

Off tomorrow on our third cruise of the year, Romantic Rhine & Moselle, from Amsterdam to Basel with Scenic.

34 minutes ago, pontac said:

Off tomorrow on our third cruise of the year, Romantic Rhine & Moselle, from Amsterdam to Basel with Scenic.

Saw the Scenic Jasper on the Rhine a few days ago and thought that you will have a splendid looking ship. Hope it contains wine that is even better than the ship looks from the outside. I know you know the area but perhaps there will be pleasant surprises still for you. Have a good trip.

notamermaid

In May DW and I took a wonderful trip through Northern Italy (Lakes Como & Maggiore), Tuscany and Umbria.  It was mainly a land trip, but it did involve several boat cruises on Lake Como and Lake Maggiore – and the Italian Lakes are often included as an extension on river cruises.  I have posted the full blog and photos here, for those who are interested:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3021443-jazzbeaux-italian-lakes-tuscany-umbria-2024/

Scenic Azure is a smaller version of the other Scenic vessels so it’s layout internally is very different to all other Scenic vessels this is due to her location on the Douro. Scenic Gem is  also different basically an it’s a squidded version of the larger river vessels because it needed to be capable of navigating the Seine. All the other Scenic vessels are very very similar. Get on one and you’ll recognise the rest. Home from home!

On 8/4/2024 at 12:09 PM, notamermaid said:

Saw the Scenic Jasper on the Rhine a few days ago and thought that you will have a splendid looking ship. Hope it contains wine that is even better than the ship looks from the outside. I know you know the area but perhaps there will be pleasant surprises still for you. Have a good trip.

notamermaid

My favorite vacation was two weeks on the Jasper sailing from Budapest to Amsterdam. I'm certainly no wine expert but I sure enjoyed what was poured on that trip. One friend doesn't enjoy a variety of wines, but our waiter insured that he always had one of the few she enjoyed available for her. Very thoughtful service. 

Paul

• Like 3

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

A dormouse was busy last night at Frankfurt airport. The result was a partial power cut and a few cancelled flights: https://apnews.com/article/germany-frankfurt-airport-dormouse-power-cut-0c9729806f8c84e36dba3d515d2f3c87

What one small animal can do.

notamermaid

I hate those meeses to pieces!

https://facts.net/lifestyle/entertainment/16-facts-about-mr-jinks-pixie-and-dixie-and-mr-jinks/