Big Question, how long will it be before crew is eligible for vaccination

Windsurfboy

Vaccinating the crew is an important step in protecting us all.

But

The crew are mainly under 50, so last in queue 

The crew come from poor countries who will not get vaccine first

The vaccine isn't available for commercial companies like cruise lines  to buy and vaccinate crew ,  it's all going to governments

So it seems as if crew won't be vaccinated for some time

14 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The vaccine isn't available for commercial companies like cruise lines  to buy and vaccinate crew

If you believe that you will believe anything. Look at what has happened at the Ford Plant in Detroit for instance they are getting freezers ready for vaccination of staff according to media reports. But you do raise an interesting point as Captain Wells/Hashmi, the  bridge officers and Declan, Grant and DJ Chris are all brits and all probably in the lowest priority grouping. And the QM2 can't sail without it's captain and I don't think Cunard has American captain. I am sure money will talk it always does. 

Edited by ace2542

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

If you believe that you will believe anything. Look at what has happened at the Ford Plant in Detroit for instance they are getting freezers ready for vaccination of staff according to media reports. But you do raise an interesting point as Captain Wells/Hashmi, the  bridge officers and Declan, Grant and DJ Chris are all brits and all probably in the lowest priority grouping. And the QM2 can't sail without it's captain and I don't think Cunard has American captain. I am sure money will talk it always does. 

I'm sure there will be access if you (or your employer) is prepared to pay. 

All I  know is the major drug companies , Pfizer and Astra Zenica have both said they will be distributing ALL vaccines via governments.  First billion doses already contracted to governments. There has been a lot if pressure on them by NGOs e.g the Gates vaccine foundation  to make sure that the poorer countries get it. Can't say about USA but in Europe it is all going to governments.  I doubt if NZ will be different . 

8 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Excellent and concerning point you raise.

Not much point in vaccinating passengers if crew are not.

Surely that would make it more important to vaccinate passenger?

The only feasible answer is wait and see.

• Like 1

It will be a tricky one to work who to give the vaccine to once the over 50's have been done.  You could go by age group or job or ethnicity or just do everyone in a town with a high infection rate then move to another town. 

The impact on cruising will also depend partly on whether the vaccine stops you being infectious or just getting ill.  That seems to be still a matter of conjecture.

I am glad I am not in government as there is no right answer.

In the US, there has been a recognition of the importance of transportation and money has been available to support air lines and other who have suffered from the pandemic. I would imagine that the cruise lines, are also on some one's radar. It is a complicated puzzle as to who comes when, but getting the transportation  providers safe has got to be a high priority, I would think. 

From what I've read , I think USA and UK/Europe  will take different approaches to the control of the distribution of vaccine.  Both governments will prioritise most vulnerable to begin with and control distribution . After that USA will allow corporations to vaccinate staff, in UK/Europe governments will continue to keep control .  Whether Carnival Corporation can buy vaccine in USA and distribute vaccine to staff round world is a question.  More likely with a normal temperature vaccine than minus 80degree. 

6 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

In the US, there has been a recognition of the importance of transportation and money has been available to support air lines and other who have suffered from the pandemic. I would imagine that the cruise lines, are also on some one's radar. It is a complicated puzzle as to who comes when, but getting the transportation  providers safe has got to be a high priority, I would think. 

Transportation workers are one thing, a vacation industry like cruising is quite another.  The world economy does not depend on cruise ships operating, but it does depend on ships and airlines moving people or cargo.

I think its reasonably safe to say that any crew member who gets vaccinated will have done so in accordance with whatever protocols are in place for their country.

Given the scale and scope of the virus, there are far too many truly vulnerable people who IMO are a higher priority to receive a vaccination than a cruise ship employee as despite what some politicians in Florida have tried to suggest, the cruise industry is not that important in the larger scheme of things.

When you also take into consideration the fact that any resumption of cruising will still include social distancing, mask wearing, etc. these are all mitigating factors much like a vaccine so the cruise lines will surely look at the fact their passenger base being vaccinated and their crew being masked is an acceptable step in the right direction until such time that everyone can be jabbed.