First cruise from Singapore Quantum of the Seas has covid case onboard

Bpos

Here we go again, just when some thought it was safe to put their toe in the water, virus strikes again.

Quantum of the Seas was on a three day cruise to nowhere.

One case of covid confirmed for an elderly person, all other passengers in lockdown.

Much to early for this avid cruiser to be even considering booking a cruise from anywhere to anywhere.

On reading the link, it is interesting to note that some of the "Imported cases" in quarantine in Singapore are workers from Indonesia. As we know, many ships' crew are from Indonesia and Philippines. Indonesia has death rate of 66/million of population (and increasing), Philippines is worse at 79/million population (steady).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Re-crewing of ships could be a problem which, I presume, the cruise companies are working hard at fixing.

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

On reading the link, it is interesting to note that some of the "Imported cases" in quarantine in Singapore are workers from Indonesia. As we know, many ships' crew are from Indonesia and Philippines. Indonesia has death rate of 66/million of population (and increasing), Philippines is worse at 79/million population (steady).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Re-crewing of ships could be a problem which, I presume, the cruise companies are working hard at fixing.

Places like the Philippines will always be a strong hold for a virus.
They don’t even know their correct population let alone treat them.

• Like 1

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/no-new-cases-of-locally-transmitted-covid-19-infection-9decfullpr

An 83 year-old male Singaporean on board Royal Caribbean International’s Quantum of the Seas tested positive for COVID-19 infection this morning, and was immediately isolated. He had reported to the medical centre with diarrhoea, and as part of the protocols was tested for COVID-19 using the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test equipment on board the ship. His original sample has since been re-tested at the National Public Health Laboratory (NPHL), and has come back negative for COVID-19 infection. A second fresh sample tested by NPHL has also come back negative. NPHL will conduct another test tomorrow to confirm his COVID-19 status.

The media here were quick to jump on this but have failed to mention the many cruises (COSTA, AIDA, MSC) happening in the Med and elsewhere that have occurred without incident. What is the bet they do not do a follow up story stating it was a false result and the cruise didn't have Covid on it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The media here were quick to jump on this but have failed to mention the many cruises (COSTA, AIDA, MSC) happening in the Med and elsewhere that have occurred without incident. What is the bet they do not do a follow up story stating it was a false result and the cruise didn't have Covid on it.

That's a pretty safe bet. Even the ABC was still reporting the test as positive late in the day. I really feel that their standards have dropped, so disappointing.

48 minutes ago, nnps said:

That's a pretty safe bet. Even the ABC was still reporting the test as positive late in the day. I really feel that their standards have dropped, so disappointing.

Agreed, seems the follow up story doesn't make the same headlines, as it shows that an overreaction  was made when jumping all over the first headline. The stupid thing is, they were not wrong, the passenger was positive on the ship and then showed negative when tested ashore. The precautions were taken and the result is no covid-19 outbreak. Surely that is a good thing for the industry showing that cruising can be just as safe as any place on land.

• Like 1

It just shows how people want to think the worst about cruise ships.

The person was tested 3 times by Singapore health  and all were negative.

Some people think they are like cargo ships ,why would you go on one?
People have asked me where do you sleep, I tell them find a shipping container  on deck and open it up.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It just shows how people want to think the worst about cruise ships.

The person was tested 3 times by Singapore health  and all were negative.

Some people think they are like cargo ships ,why would you go on one?
People have asked me where do you sleep, I tell them find a shipping container  on deck and open it up.

So many uneducated people out there who have never been on a cruise ship, but suddenly become Cruise experts because they see some biased doco on the gogglebox. It annoys me.

• Like 2