Another restart failure

KirkNC

10 hours ago, bouhunter said:

I had no idea the crew members were forced to accept the jobs and board the ships against their will.

On 12/9/2020 at 6:33 PM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

And there lies a huge hurdle. Even if no one on board has the virus, it only takes one false positive in the whole number of tests being done start to finish to cancel both the current cruise and the next one!

If no one has the virus on board why would there  be a false positive?

On 12/9/2020 at 2:24 PM, rafinmd said:

I think it will be quite a few months after vaccines become widely available before we can be 100% sure there will never be an isolated case of Covid onboard.  There has to be a less draconian response.  Not sure if cancelling the cruise was Royal's initiative or if it was required by the authorities.

A little bit of success is that Quantum was actually allowed to disembark passengers but still depressing.

Roy

We just need the vaccines, as then we could tolerate an isolated case on board.  The isolated case would remain largely isolated if everyone was vaccinated.

BTW, this was not Draconian.  It was the correct response.

igraf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Will not sail till this is over.  I can wait.  

My fear is that when it is finally over, it won't be reasonable for me to sail again.  Covid-19 has stolen from some of us travel opportunities that cannot be replaced.  But, I remain thankful--very thankful--for what I have been able to do.  If I can never sail again, so be it.  It will be God's will.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When we feel safe to cruise will probably be very different from when the cruise lines tell us it is safe to cruise.  

We have as much confidence in the industry placing our health and well being above their profit as we did in GM's ignition switch initial response or Boeing's inititial response to the two Max8 disasters.  None whatsoever.

6 hours ago, iancal said:

When we feel safe to cruise will probably be very different from when the cruise lines tell us it is safe to cruise.  

We have as much confidence in the industry placing our health and well being above their profit as we did in GM's ignition switch initial response or Boeing's inititial response to the two Max8 disasters.  None whatsoever.

Respectfully, I disagree with your thinking.  Boeing's responses (and failures leading to the 737 MAX tragedies) are, for this shareholder, unforgivable.  And, for what little worth it is, I have voted my last two proxies to indicate that view.  Boeing has other businesses that are not commercial aircraft and that has kept them viable.  The recalls and issues, with not only GM but many other auto manufacturers are "things that ought not to have happened" to be sure.  But, has any of those companies ceased to exist because of them?  

The cruise industry exists to provide a safe, comfortable, enjoyable, pleasant vacation alternative to other types.  If they are unable to provide such a product on a reliable basis, the industry will either cease to exist or be drastically different from what we have experienced.  

The cruise lines cannot afford to be seen as having their ships being believed to be a "petri dish" of disease.  They must insure that their health protocols allow a Grand World Voyage of a hundred plus days returns with guests that left the port in as good health as when they left that port without contracting a disease such as Covid-19.  

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Respectfully, I disagree with your thinking.  Boeing's responses (and failures leading to the 737 MAX tragedies) are, for this shareholder, unforgivable.  And, for what little worth it is, I have voted my last two proxies to indicate that view.  Boeing has other businesses that are not commercial aircraft and that has kept them viable.  The recalls and issues, with not only GM but many other auto manufacturers are "things that ought not to have happened" to be sure.  But, has any of those companies ceased to exist because of them?  

The cruise industry exists to provide a safe, comfortable, enjoyable, pleasant vacation alternative to other types.  If they are unable to provide such a product on a reliable basis, the industry will either cease to exist or be drastically different from what we have experienced.  

The cruise lines cannot afford to be seen as having their ships being believed to be a "petri dish" of disease.  They must insure that their health protocols allow a Grand World Voyage of a hundred plus days returns with guests that left the port in as good health as when they left that port without contracting a disease such as Covid-19.  

Baby steps first. Before they even consider allowing a Grand World Voyage, they have to prove they can handle a short cruise. Maybe start with 3-4 days and move to 7 before gradually getting longer. But, IMHO a world voyage is well into the future if at all.

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

And yet they have shown repeatedly a disinclination to communicate transparently when there are COVID cases aboard ships. 

You would think after the issues that occurred (and all of the negative articles/publicity) in February and March of 2020, they would have learned. However, some of the communications coming from the lines that started up in Europe this summer were not exactly forthcoming either.

It's this sort of thing that leads (probably correctly) to those who think the cruise lines don't fully "get" that their evasive actions/communications do have a tendency to erode trust over time.

Isn’t it interesting that a single (now disputed) positive COVID case on a cruise ship gets everyone’s panties in a knot.

Meanwhile, there is a substantial number of cruise lines - many in Asia - that are operating very successfully, with zero COVID cases.

But nobody here seems interested in the positive news.

“If it bleeds, it leads”

• Like 1

It could be a result of how successful  some countries in Asiapacific have done in curbing covid vs. our abysmal record in North America and Europe.

Hard to trust some cruise lines when they claimed in Feb/March  that they tested everyone on board for covid when in fact they did not have the ability to do so.  Other than taking a temperature.

Misstatements, suppressing information, or 'selectively' releasing information is what makes people distrust organizations.  The smart ones put it all out there in the open, upfront.  They realize that in time it will all come out into the public domain.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, iancal said:

It could be a result of how successful  some countries in Asiapacific have done in curbing covid vs. our abysmal record in North America and Europe.

Hard to trust some cruise lines when they claimed in Feb/March  that they tested everyone on board for covid when in fact they did not have the ability to do so.  Other than taking a temperature.

Misstatements, suppressing information, or 'selectively' releasing information is what makes people distrust organizations.  The smart ones put it all out there in the open, upfront.  They realize that in time it will all come out into the public domain.

That it will all come out in the public domain is especially true now in the age of the internet.