Dinner attire on Celebrity

sellwingri

Since we have been on quarantine so long, I look forward to dressing up when sailing.  We will wear country club attire nightly.  We will order fancy masks for chic nights also!  

My DH will wear button shirts, slacks and regular shoes nightly, perhaps put on a jacket and tie for chic nights.  I will wear fancy slacks and tops nightly-   You can wear nice jeans also- 

Looking forward to getting out of our "uniform".   No shorts at dinner- unless you are a toddler.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2020 at 10:47 AM, sydbarrett said:

I think we will see more people dressing up once we return to cruising, at least early on. I am not the type to dress up too much on vacation but I have to admit after 9+ months of bumming around and working from home I'm in the mood to get a little fancy.

Doubtful. Business dress code has also declined over the years and now that people have been working from home in their pajamas or birthday suit I doubt that they will want to dress up on vacation.

I think covid has taught many how to live a simpler life and they are enjoying the freedom.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 5:08 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Do you wear your flannel dog walk "chic" morning pants to the mall? or grocery store? or outside your cabin on a cruise?

I wish I had a dime for every young adult I see walking into a store wearing lounge pants a.k.a. pajama bottoms and slippers. I don't care if they say UGG on them. They are still slippers. Most of the time they are UGG knockoffs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Doubtful. Business dress code has also declined over the years and now that people have been working from home in their pajamas or birthday suit I doubt that they will want to dress up on vacation.

I think covid has taught many how to live a simpler life and they are enjoying the freedom.

It's funny, here we are seeing people dressing to the nines to go to the grocery store, but that is pretty much all we have open right now, no restaurants even. Although I do see the odd PJ as well!

40 minutes ago, sydbarrett said:

It's funny, here we are seeing people dressing to the nines to go to the grocery store, but that is pretty much all we have open right now, no restaurants even. Although I do see the odd PJ as well!

New York is a different animal. Anything goes. Went to the Opera with DW a few years ago. We saw everything from tiaras to shorts.   

When I was working the very last thing that I wanted to do was pack and wear a suit while on vacation.  Most especially  on a Caribbean or Alaska cruise.  Let alone drag it along for a few hours on two or three evening of a trip.   

So we simply stopped doing it well before retirement at DW's suggestion.  It made packing and pre/post cruise travel so much easier. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, iancal said:

When I was working the very last thing that I wanted to do was pack and wear a suit while on vacation.  Most especially  on a Caribbean or Alaska cruise.  Let alone drag it along for a few hours on two or three evening of a trip.   

So we simply stopped doing it well before retirement at DW's suggestion.  It made packing and pre/post cruise travel so much easier. 

Everyone is different.  My DH wears a suit everyday- when he is teaching his university level students on line.   He feels that the professors should not dress like their students.  Not all professors agree.  He also, as do I enjoy celebrating our cruises and dressing for a "party" ads pleasure to our experience.  Not everyone agrees- but we each have to do what makes us happy.  Let's face it, many people no longer fit into their dress clothes and do not want to purchase new dress wear.  Since I have put on the "cover 15", I have serious dieting to do, our buy new larger size dress clothes. I currently live in sweats, and other baggie cloths.    I do not want to look like a sausage when I sail again and squeeze into old tight clothes!!

lol.

6 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

who has gone on b2b 14 or 16 day day cruises--and thought to bring a bigger size just because of 28 days of eating and drinking-even with salad at lunch?

9 months of covid pared down social life has not helped the waist line ,even if riding our bikes more than any other 2 years combined.

On board, we usually  walk outside before breakfast then later in day go to fitness center. Before the show and  then late dinner.

Thats not enough so on a couple of port stops  we just explore on our own walking a bunch of miles.

My problem moments on board are the afternoons at sea. I sit at the oceanview bar, in the shade, reading books and/or  listening to music on ipad while joking  with bartenders and trying different drinks they make, while watching where we have been.

9 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

who has gone on b2b 14 or 16 day day cruises--and thought to bring a bigger size just because of 28 days of eating and drinking-even with salad at lunch?

9 months of covid pared down social life has not helped the waist line ,even if riding our bikes more than any other 2 years combined.

On board, we usually  walk outside before breakfast then later in day go to fitness center. Before the show and  then late dinner.

Thats not enough so on a couple of port stops  we just explore on our own walking a bunch of miles.

My problem moments on board are the afternoons at sea. I sit at the oceanview bar, in the shade, reading books and/or  listening to music on ipad while joking  with bartenders and trying different drinks they make, while watching where we have been.

I guess everyone is different, but since Feb I've lost 50 lbs. I attribute it to NOT going on the 4 to 6 yearly vacations we usually take, with 3 to 4 being cruises. I would prefer to be on the vacations though. 

• Like 2

Our bottom line is this.  For us, cruising is not about dressing up and playing make believe.

IF we wanted to dress up for a nice dinner we could save ourselves a great deal of money, time, and effort  by doing it at a local restaurant.

Indeed, we would not only save ourselves a great deal of money and bother, we would in all probability have a much better, made to order gourmet meal instead of having  tarted up banquet food in the MDR.

11 minutes ago, iancal said:

Our bottom line is this.  For us, cruising is not about dressing up and playing make believe.

IF we wanted to dress up for a nice dinner we could save ourselves a great deal of money, time, and effort  by doing it at a local restaurant.

Indeed, we would not only save ourselves a great deal of money and bother, we would in all probability have a much better, made to order gourmet meal instead of having  tarted up banquet food in the MDR.

with the new pricing, you could afford the 4 star  hotels and trendy  restaurants in various cities and have money left over. Not enough for a night at a real theater (although in London last minute discount ticks will probably be  doable gain in future) .

We did that a long time ago-when we were young and very energtic--flew to london on the cheap and stayed in a Marriott a short tube ride from center city, and saw 3 evening shows and a lot of walking around. DC10's was the main aircraft then. It was a funky cheap trip. no suits or dresses. There were no electronics to pack then either. Strange now that we have all the electronics and with wifi you can do face time from just about anywhere.

You either listened to airline music on cheap headphones, slept or read a pocket book. How times have changed.

45 minutes ago, iancal said:

We don't live to eat- but eat to live- the entire cruise experience is wonderful!  However, I cannot say that I don't break my mantra on a cruise!  We don't go on a cruise to eat,  we love the entire  experience.  I can also enjoy a great dinner at home.  The cruise food taste good, but loaded with salt, fat and calories!

After this horrible experience of Covid and lock down, we need to play make believe now!!  Looking forward to better years to follow!  And of course that includes cruising!

Edited by Cruise a holic