Dinner attire on Celebrity

sellwingri

13 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

Those look like the pair I wear to the gym!  I have plenty of miles on them after eating all that free gelato and real ice cream! On a positive note, your flooring looks like real wood (the gelato of flooring) and not that vinyl veneer stuff.

C'mon, it's the day after Christmas and we're just having some fun here.

And yes the flooring is real wood, which I love.  Only problem is this time of year in New England.  We had ALL of the carpet removed, which we hated, and replaced with wood flooring throughout.  We are on ground floor, just above the underground parking, so that is where the Land's End slippers come in...

3 hours ago, El Crucero said:

I take a blazer along and wear it with an open collar shirt for most meals and C.C. events, otherwise I would look "shabby" compared to my elegant wife.  Again, that is just us, I am not suggesting anyone else is required to do that.

I often bring out my Tux for Formal Night otherwise I brought it for naught! LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1

Just now, Bo1953 said:

Suede???

I have to get a pair....

bon voyage

Yes, Nike, and they come in various colors.  I have no doubt you can find a color to go well with that tux you bring out for formal nights!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity calls it Smart Casual and Evening Chic. 

My intent was to say you can dress SC and above. Meaning you can wear a tux if you wish and some do. I did not address Evening Chic as it only applies to the MDR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

My intent was to say you can dress SC and above. Meaning you can wear a tux if you wish and some do. I did not address Evening Chic as it only applies to the MDR.

And some of us eat in the MDR and why I mentioned Evening Chic. You can wear a suit as well. Your choice. As Celebrity's says, "Formal night gets a modern reboot. Say goodbye to formal night, and hello to evening chic. It's your time to shine, your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Get sophisticated..." 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I go with slacks and a sport shirt. My wife usually opts for a dress . I bring a blazer but that’s as much for warmth as anything. Haven’t packed a suit or a tie in years. 

Of the many things I appreciate about Celebrity is their adherence to published guidelines for attire. I have on several occasions seen guests quietly and politely told that their shorts and t-shirt were not allowed in dining rooms at dinner. Should it really matter what other people wear to their dinner on their vacation? Of course not but having sailed Carnival for many years and watched their standards drop it just makes me appreciate Celebrity all the more. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, davekathy said:

And some of us eat in the MDR and why I mentioned Evening Chic. You can wear a suit as well. Your choice. As Celebrity's says, "Formal night gets a modern reboot. Say goodbye to formal night, and hello to evening chic. It's your time to shine, your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Get sophisticated..." 

The beauty of Celebrity's dress code is that have the option to wear various types of clothing.   Shorts are the only thing I have seen consistently not allowed by the staff.  Realistically, they do allow shorts on the first night. If you want to wear a tux go for it.  The dress code applies only to the restaurants except for the theater performances but that has not been enforced in years.   The specialty restaurants, Luminae and Blu are smart casual every night.    Buffet and the rest of the ship there is not dress code.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On our last Med Cruise (2019),  it was port intensive (Venice to Barcelona) - it was a late August / eary September cruise and was very hot during the day.

In the evening pretty much everyone was dressed Smart Casual - I can't recall anyone wearing shorts or baseball caps.  We also didn't notice any discernable difference beween normal nights and Evening Chic. One or two might have been wearing a Suit or Dinner Suit but it was very much in the minority

I think we will see more people dressing up once we return to cruising, at least early on. I am not the type to dress up too much on vacation but I have to admit after 9+ months of bumming around and working from home I'm in the mood to get a little fancy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sydbarrett said:

I think we will see more people dressing up once we return to cruising, at least early on. I am not the type to dress up too much on vacation but I have to admit after 9+ months of bumming around and working from home I'm in the mood to get a little fancy.

I doubt it.  People have learned how to be comfortable in sweat pants and that's going to continue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sydbarrett said:

My Magic 8 Ball says, "very doubtful".  There still will be those that did and still will, and there still will be those that didn't and still wont. 

• Like 1

Time passes. How we dress changes.  I started cruising when formal night was every night.  That was nice at the time when everyone dressed up. Now that formal nights are historic and casual is the norm, I am more relaxed.  It is comfortable and cuts down the amount of clothing needed for a trip.  Your tuxedo on a cruise?  It’s your cruise, wear it if you like.  Just don’t feel that others should dress that way.  I have many cruise photos wearing formal attire.  Memories of the past.  For now, wait and hope we can make cruise memories in the future.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yet women often wear mini-skirts or dresses providing far less thermal protection than shorts. :classic_cool:

And sleeveless blouses. I always ware short sleeved shirts in the MDR and never get cold. But that's me and not because it's too warm/hot in the MDR. My wife wears long sleeved tops as she prefers that look. 

Edited by davekathy

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yet women often wear mini-skirts or dresses providing far less thermal protection than shorts. 

Not this woman. Although I frequently wear something sleeveless, I always have a pashmina or similar wrap with me. I find the MDR quite cool at the best of times, and the Maitre d' seems to have a knack for seating me under an AC vent. 🙄

Edited by mom says
  • Haha 1

We always look forward to looking nice for dinner on a cruise- no matter what line we are on.

In 2019 we cruised on Royal Caribbean to the Bahamas in July and to Norway on Cunard in August/September.

Certainly, the "dress code" expectations were very different on each of those lines... but we loved both!

Fact is we dressed nicely for dinner every night... certainly more formal and quite spiffy for Cunard (where that is just part of the tradition and the fun of it all- you dress up)... and we looked more tropical in theme for our RCI cruise... but we had a great time on both. It is part of what we enjoy! We embrace dressing for dinner.
I'm looking so forward to our Celebrity cruise in 2022- I'm envisioning that we will see all kinds of clothing on our fellow guests... and that is completely fine. For myself, I plan to bring things that look nice and fit my style...we will dress for dinner for our personal joy. I always think about what I would choose to wear if I was going to a nice restaurant on land.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I doubt it.  People have learned how to be comfortable in sweat pants and that's going to continue.

Sweat pants are one thing...pajamas another thing all together. I'm sorry but nothing says "I give up" more than pajamas in public. Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sweat pants are one thing...pajamas another thing all together. I'm sorry but nothing says "I give up" more than pajamas in public. Just my opinion.

When I walk the dog in the morning, guilty as charged!  Though I do not call them pajamas, rather they are my flannel dog walk "chic" mornings.

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

When I walk the dog in the morning, guilty as charged!  Though I do not call them pajamas, rather they are my flannel dog walk "chic" mornings.

Do you wear your flannel dog walk "chic" morning pants to the mall? or grocery store? or outside your cabin on a cruise?