Dinner attire on Celebrity

sellwingri

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Do you wear your flannel dog walk "chic" morning pants to the mall? or grocery store? or outside your cabin on a cruise?

Good Lord NO!  That requires dressing up in my Fruit of the Loom sweats.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sweat pants are one thing...pajamas another thing all together. I'm sorry but nothing says "I give up" more than pajamas in public. Just my opinion.

I have seen a lot of those, pajamas, in public over the last few months... at what I formally called 'up scale' stores!

Of course, while I did not care what they were wearing , I just could not bring myself to shop in full business attire with those who were so casual, as it were!!! LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I do the try to follow the ‘Smart Casual’ suggestion which to me means slacks and shirt with collar, not jeans or very casual knock-around wear, and I do enjoy wearing a sports coat sometimes. But that’s just me. I love pockets! 

And this whole discussion on jeans? Personally, I don’t wear jeans out to dinner at home unless its a joint, so I wouldn’t do it on a nice cruise ship in a nice ship dining venue. And if this is a Caribbean cruise, I don’t really see taking jeans anyway. They are too heavy and except for tourists, you don’t see them in port much at all because the locals know what works. So I’d strongly suggest you look for some other pants type - lots of better options. You’ll then won’t have to worry about wearing jeans on the ship which is even less handy. I sometimes wonder why jeans are always such a big discussion point. 

So for the OP, if you feel as if it’s nice to be in line with the overall atmosphere, then you see from the posts here, what is good to wear. If you don’t care, then go with whatever. But I sometimes think those that are wearing something out of line with most others are doing so for the classic: ‘look at me, I’m an individualist! You can tell because I’m wearing something dumb!’

I don’t look around a what others are wearing, but I do not enjoy those that don’t understand you need to doff your ballcap inside - except for that, unless its completely out of line, not something I get bothered by.

And I do Love this thread! I know cruising is still well away but here we are posting about what we’d always posted about 12 months ago!! 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 6

I for one can't wait to wear something smart casual or evening chic. A whole section of my wardrobe has not been opened for almost a year now and I am missing the opportunity to give the clothes an outing after so long. Hopefully they will still fit when the chance arrives. I have spent far too long in leisure wear.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I do the try to follow the ‘Smart Casual’ suggestion which to me means slacks and shirt with collar, not jeans or very casual knock-around wear, and I do enjoy wearing a sports coat sometimes. But that’s just me. I love pockets! 

And this whole discussion on jeans? Personally, I don’t wear jeans out to dinner at home unless its a joint, so I wouldn’t do it on a nice cruise ship in a nice ship dining venue. And if this is a Caribbean cruise, I don’t really see taking jeans anyway. They are too heavy and except for tourists, you don’t see them in port much at all because the locals know what works. So I’d strongly suggest you look for some other pants type - lots of better options. You’ll then won’t have to worry about wearing jeans on the ship which is even less handy. I sometimes wonder why jeans are always such a big discussion point. 

So for the OP, if you feel as if it’s nice to be in line with the overall atmosphere, then you see from the posts here, what is good to wear. If you don’t care, then go with whatever. But I sometimes think those that are wearing something out of line with most others are doing so for the classic: ‘look at me, I’m an individualist! You can tell because I’m wearing something dumb!’

I don’t look around a what others are wearing, but I do not enjoy those that don’t understand you need to doff your ballcap inside - except for that, unless its completely out of line, not something I get bothered by.

And I do Love this thread! I know cruising is still well away but here we are posting about what we’d always posted about 12 months ago!! 

Den

I agree with you Denny except that we are in different areas of the country.   We do Florida before covid about 8 to 10 weeks a year and jeans are only worn on the drive down and back in the winter.   Its shorts the rest of the time. We are in PA and I live in Jeans in the winter but when going on a cruise to the Caribbean or Bermuda they don't even see the suitcase.   Only time we ever took Jeans on a cruise was when we went to Alaska.  

We started sailing in 1990 on Princess and since then have 50+ cruises on Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, Regent and Oceania. Times have really changed. From Tux or white dinner jacket, ballgowns and National dress ( I love a man in kilts or formal Bermuda shorts) pajama bottoms, cut offs and muscle shirts. I've seen it all. We now fall into the category of Hawaiian shirt and chinos (  navy blazer, long sleeved shirt, slacks and loafers on formal nights) for my husband and black slacks with sparkly top and sandals for me. We are relieved and comfortable and I don't mind cutting down on luggage. But if someone wants to dress like Professor Irwin Corey that's OK with me.  As long as there aren't any hairy backs.

On 12/26/2020 at 9:57 AM, sellwingri said:

I’m sailing on Celebrity in September.  We’ll be on Edge in the Mediterranean which is port intensive.  Are jeans with a nice top allowed in the dining room for dinner?  I’m Diamond Plus on Royal and the wearing of nice attire has dropped over the past couple of years.

We're on the Enchanted Princess in the Med in October. What do you think the chances of us really going are? Will you pay in full? I'm going to wait until summer to buy flights. Our cruise was moved from this past October. I'd love to go. We are on Celebrity Equinox in January 2022. That one stands a better chance. I have found that on Celebrity the  guests in Lumiere and specialty restaurants dress up more than MDR or Buffet.

Rule #1 on Dress code anywhere: dress to make my wife happy.

Rule #2 for me: no jeans while on board-I find them heavy-not comfortable in warm climate--Khakis and sporty business shirt and the shoes? The newer very lightweight slip ons. Also easy for luggage weight.

In other words, dress for comfort, and "happy wife, happy life"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HMR74 said:

Rule #1 on Dress code anywhere: dress to make my wife happy.

Rule #2 for me: no jeans while on board-I find them heavy-not comfortable in warm climate--Khakis and sporty business shirt and the shoes? The newer very lightweight slip ons. Also easy for luggage weight.

In other words, dress for comfort, and "happy wife, happy life"

Way too many rules. My wife picks out what she wants me to wear and that's what I pack. On the ship she lays out what I'm wearing that evening. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

What the heck is that?:classic_unsure:

a dress type shirt-long sleeve, that you cannot wear with a suit because of the color or pattern. eg, a little fun and spirit.

See www.paulfredrick.com   their "casual" dress shirt collections  and even some of their real dress shirts.

My wife even approved wearing those with Jeans up here where we get winter.

On the happy wife subject: I'll walk out of the closet and my wife's expression says it all-either I overdressed or under-dressed for the occasion (not a problem since covid started) or she does not like the combos; pants shirt  etc.

But now that I am 74 I have become smarter. Start off with what she wants. No games.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

a dress type shirt-long sleeve, that you cannot wear with a suit because of the color or pattern. eg, a little fun and spirit.

See www.paulfredrick.com   their "casual" dress shirt collections  and even some of their real dress shirts.

Ah, so that's where you confused me. Paul Fredrick has dress shirts and casual shirts but no "'casual' dress shirt collections".

But your wife approves, and that's the key! :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Ah, so that's where you confused me. Paul Fredrick has dress shirts and casual shirts but no "'casual' dress shirt collections".

But your wife approves, and that's the key! :classic_biggrin:

Next we can discuss ties--which I wear for funerals (which we cannot go to) and weddings (which we cannot go to)

Although if on zoom, on something like that, I will wear coat, dress shirt and tie, with shorts or sweat pants.

but, back to main topic, when on vacation/cruise, I just want to be comfortable and I do not want to bring a suit, or tux, let alone wear one.

We really like the late dinner slot as we meet people and sit and talk after dinner in the dining room, and then go up on top for a night cap. That's another nice aspect of cruising.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HMR74 said:

On the happy wife subject: I'll walk out of the closet and my wife's expression says it all-either I overdressed or under-dressed for the occasion (not a problem since covid started) or she does not like the combos; pants shirt  etc.

But now that I am 74 I have become smarter. Start off with what she wants. No games.

We call that a long sleeve sport shirt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HMR74 said:

Next we can discuss ties--which I wear for funerals (which we cannot go to) and weddings (which we cannot go to)

Although if on zoom, on something like that, I will wear coat, dress shirt and tie, with shorts or sweat pants.

but, back to main topic, when on vacation/cruise, I just want to be comfortable and I do not want to bring a suit, or tux, let alone wear one.

We really like the late dinner slot as we meet people and sit and talk after dinner in the dining room, and then go up on top for a night cap. That's another nice aspect of cruising.

DW and I celebrated Christmas alone this year for the first time in over 50 years. We agreed that there was no need to dress up, and even for our family Zoom, I chose not to wear one of my Christmas ties. I don't have one of the popular ugly Christmas sweaters, but my tie collection...

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

DW and I celebrated Christmas alone this year for the first time in over 50 years. We agreed that there was no need to dress up, and even for our family Zoom, I chose not to wear one of my Christmas ties. I don't have one of the popular ugly Christmas sweaters, but my tie collection...

LOL-we do put on nicer clothing for zooming our religious services. Family stuff: WYSIWYG.

we both have real daily routines, exercise, clean up,  happy hour  with appetizer and wine, my wife told me i overdressed for our anniversary (but I  know she was secretly happy).

My barber/stylist retired early 2019 and after going around trying to find replacement, and could not, I bought a hair trimmer kit and use it weekly. Bring it on cruises longer than a week and use it to keep from looking shabby. Kind of feel fresh and energetic that way.

Looking forward to Oceanview bar in the PM, sitting at the bar, Ipad, BT headphones, and music and reading looking out back at Ocean. Bartenders there have always been nice letting me try drinks, some I liked some not. But it was all part of a nice experience. Sometimes go there straight from fitness center and nobody cared how I was dressed.

I say this as we are about to get 8 inches of snow.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Ha! You and DH would make a good pair. He has quite a few Christmas ties, some if which are eye watering bright. He even has a pair of Christmas socks that play Jingle Bells. The priest was not amused one year when he accidentally set them off during the homily

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

LOL-we do put on nicer clothing for zooming our religious services. Family stuff: WYSIWYG.

we both have real daily routines, exercise, clean up,  happy hour  with appetizer and wine, my wife told me i overdressed for our anniversary (but I  know she was secretly happy).

My barber/stylist retired early 2019 and after going around trying to find replacement, and could not, I bought a hair trimmer kit and use it weekly. Bring it on cruises longer than a week and use it to keep from looking shabby. Kind of feel fresh and energetic that way.

Looking forward to Oceanview bar in the PM, sitting at the bar, Ipad, BT headphones, and music and reading looking out back at Ocean. Bartenders there have always been nice letting me try drinks, some I liked some not. But it was all part of a nice experience. Sometimes go there straight from fitness center and nobody cared how I was dressed.

I say this as we are about to get 8 inches of snow.

Daily routine for us on board is coffee and breakfast in the suite (balcony weather permitting) everyday, sweats and a robe.  A bit later, when not getting on land, take a walk on one of the outside decks, hopefully in shorts and shirt sleeve polo, but dress very casually perhaps chinos, khakis, casual slip-ons, depending on weather either way.  For lunch we either grab a sandwich and bring it back to the room or we go to one of the more casual spots especially if we can eat outdoors.  Dinner is generally in Luminae, but we do always go to one of the MDR's 2-3x, but of course I now dress up and kick it up a notch by adding a pair of colorful socks to my wardrobe.  

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Daily routine for us on board is coffee and breakfast in the suite (balcony weather permitting) everyday, sweats and a robe.  A bit later, when not getting on land, take a walk on one of the outside decks, hopefully in shorts and shirt sleeve polo, but dress very casually perhaps chinos, khakis, casual slip-ons, depending on weather either way.  For lunch we either grab a sandwich and bring it back to the room or we go to one of the more casual spots especially if we can eat outdoors.  Dinner is generally in Luminae, but we do always go to one of the MDR's 2-3x, but of course I now dress up and kick it up a notch by adding a pair of colorful socks to my wardrobe.  

my comment, first part is out  laid back routine stuck at home now, but looking forward to cruising again.

We do Aqua class if possible, we like the food and ambiance of Blu, although now the price difference is not so great with suites. Blu most evenings plus a couple of specialty. I forgot the name of place but the one with the animated show from the ceiling-ah Quisine. Plus the steakhouse or french place. Not sure the sushi on board would be up to par. Just because.

On excursion days, we get cabin service for breakfast, and at sea we go to Blu. We are happy campers on board.

46 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

We normally eat all 3 meals in Luminae, might do one breakfast on balcony, last cruise we did a few specialty since we did our first royal suite and they were free, but in general prefer Luminae, have not done mdr since we first went to Luminae. 

I’m hoping to go on our 10  night  Pacific coastal cruise (or maybe some version of it ) this September 2021 and look forward to bringing some of my nice dresses and clothes that have not been out of the closet for a very long time!! My DH and I look forward to dressing  nice every evening no matter where we’re dining!! 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 8:41 PM, Bo1953 said:

I have seen a lot of those, pajamas, in public over the last few months... at what I formally called 'up scale' stores!

Of course, while I did not care what they were wearing , I just could not bring myself to shop in full business attire with those who were so casual, as it were!!! LOL

bon voyage

We live next to a college town, lots of kids running around in their PJS especially in restaurants that serve breakfast.    Have also seen more and more PJS in the buffet for breakfast.   

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Have also seen more and more PJS in the buffet for breakfast 

Very classy — the same slobs show up for dinner in shorts , bib jeans , ball caps worn backwards, sleeveless shirts and flip flops. 

I love the “ I’m on vacation “ BS .

Yes , I agree with dress codes and follow the rules. Not so sure that qualifies me as a wimp . 

• Like 1