Tell me about the Pearl ... thanks

room with a view

We have been on the Spirit 5 times .. love deck 10   balcony midships . Had our cruise in the refurbished Spirit cancelled.

Looking at Greek Islands cruise for may be June (in hope) on the Pearl...    is there a great deal of difference in the two ships ? 

We would still like a midships cabin between cabin decks .

Thanks

We've only been Spirit twice and same with Gem which is a Jewel Class ship same as Pearl.

Spirit oldest in fleet but almost a test for concepts on Jewel Class ships.  You have the large split up buffet, Great Outdoors, specialty restaurants, balconies on 10 are safe choice.  Doesn't feel crowded.   ship is about 25% bigger and has more suites and a Haven.

I really like the Spirit but the Jewel Class are also nice.

Teh Spirit and the Pearl are two totally different ship designs.  The Spirit is the smaller with and interior not at all like the Pearl.  However, the Spirit does have a similar type Great Outdoors and a similar top deck forward viewing lounge.   If you like the Spirit, you should like the Pearl.  I like them both but consider the Jewel class (the Pearl) ships my favorites.  

Thanks .. looking at photos of the "new" Spirit the glass elevators have been removed and replaced by a giant screen .. the elevators must still be there but you won't be able to travel down to the atrium and see what was going on below !!!

I guess the Pearl is similar ???  .. if it's a bigger ship then do you need to book the theatre ? ... thanks

1 hour ago, room with a view said:

if it's a bigger ship then do you need to book the theatre ? ... thanks

It's not that big as ships go these days. 😊 The Jewel-class ships, of which the Pearl is one, are not mega-ships, and there are no reservations/bookings for the theatre.   While I haven't been on the Pearl, I've been on her sister ships, and really love them.   They are a very comfortable size, with some fabulous public spaces (the Great Outdoors, and the Spinnaker Lounge), and a traditional promenade deck.  

I share your preference for having cabins above and below our cabin.  Deck 10 is our favorite deck on the Jewel-class ships.  

We were on the Pearl last February.   I loved her.  I've been on the Dawn twice and the Pearl.  Cruise on the Getaway for last May was obviously cancelled.    I'd sail on the Pearl again in a heartbeat.  Booked on the Joy for March 2022.

We also like the Jewel class ships as well as the smaller ships like the Sky, Sun and Spirit. I agee that the cabins on deck 10 are great as deck 11 are mostly mini suites and deck 9 is all cabins. The Jewel class ships do not have as much to do on them and are more traditional in their offerings. Our last cruise was 21 days on the Gem. The entertaiment was very good and changed nightly. We also enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere on sea days.

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

It's not that big as ships go these days. 😊 The Jewel-class ships, of which the Pearl is one, are not mega-ships, and there are no reservations/bookings for the theatre.   While I haven't been on the Pearl, I've been on her sister ships, and really love them.   They are a very comfortable size, with some fabulous public spaces (the Great Outdoors, and the Spinnaker Lounge), and a traditional promenade deck.  

I share your preference for having cabins above and below our cabin.  Deck 10 is our favorite deck on the Jewel-class ships.  

Do you have a favourite cabin  ? port or starboard .

I'm hoping we may be able to cruise in May/ June 2011 ..

52 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

Ever heard of Posh? it means Port Outbound Starboard Home seriously I base my cabin side on the cruise not the ship - both sides are equal.

As a general matter, I agree with you -- it doesn't matter what side of the ship you are on.  But Port Out Starboard Home is actually a good device for choosing cabins on a transatlantic, if you care about whether you have sun on your balcony for the crossing.   If you are sailing westbound, and would prefer to have sun on your side of the ship, then you'll want to be on the port side.  As you likely know, "POSH" is an acronym that is attributed to the British, supposedly to pick the best cabins when sailing to or from India.  It may not be a true story, but it works on TAs and I use it when booking them.  (Just have to remember that "port out" means out from England, not the US! 😊)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Pearl is my absolute favorite ship and have sailed on her I believe three times. We have also been on her sister ships Jade twice and Gem once. We have stayed on deck 9 and also deck 10 (which I prefer).

You do not need to make show reservations but it is a good idea to make restaurant reservations.

I felt the buffet food was the best (although who knows what buffets will look like after covid). The crew is exceptional and it is well maintained.

We were planning a 45th anniversary cruise for May of 2020 on the Pearl but of course that never happened. As soon as things are better we will try to do that 45th anniversary cruise belatedly and most certainly on the Pearl.

Edited by Peachypooh

16 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

The Pearl is my absolute favorite ship and have sailed on her I believe three times. We have also been on her sister ships Jade twice and Gem once. We have stayed on deck 9 and also deck 10 (which I prefer).

You do not need to make show reservations but it is a good idea to make restaurant reservations.

I felt the buffet food was the best (although who knows what buffets will look like after covid). The crew is exceptional and it is well maintained.

We were planning a 45th anniversary cruise for May of 2020 on the Pearl but of course that never happened. As soon as things are better we will try to do that 45th anniversary cruise belatedly and most certainly on the Pearl.

B4  family cabin .. the deck plans show cabins for 4 people.... not connecting . We are considering booking one of these for just us two.

Are they vastly different from the Family (3 guests) cabins  on the Spirit ?

thanks

6 hours ago, room with a view said:

B4  family cabin .. the deck plans show cabins for 4 people.... not connecting . We are considering booking one of these for just us two.

thanks

I am sorry that I don't know the answer to that. My daughter stayed in B4  when they cruised with us on the Pearl and it was fine. If you go to the Spirit section on this website and bring up that category and look at the square footage and then do the same for the Pearl it will tell you more. 

17 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

I am sorry that I don't know the answer to that. My daughter stayed in B4  when they cruised with us on the Pearl and it was fine. If you go to the Spirit section on this website and bring up that category and look at the square footage and then do the same for the Pearl it will tell you more. 

Thanks, when tings return to a near normal ??? we will look at making a booking . Best wishes,

Pearl has been refurbished, well done. Not as recently as the Spirit but nice. No Broadway shows, but good entertainment around the ship. In this COVID period we should probably anticipate some sort of reservation for shows to support physical distancing requirements.

Bigger than the Sky/Sun but not like the newer mega vessels. We are booked on her in September, Greece cruise. I prefer mid-ship locations, deck 9/10. Last trip was had an inside next one balcony.

Two main dining rooms, one on deck 6, nice but not memorable. Sunken dining room is huge and ornate, funny artwork, though some don't quite get it. 🙂

On 2/11/2021 at 3:17 AM, Nola26 said:

Two main dining rooms, one on deck 6, nice but not memorable. Sunken dining room is huge and ornate, funny artwork, though some don't quite get it. 🙂

Both main dining rooms are on deck 6,

Edited by pbenjamin

We're booked for Aug., 2022 on NCL Pearl (r/trip-BOS to Canada) in an Aft Club Balcony Suite on deck 11.  As we previously sailed on the Gem, I'm sure we will enjoy cruising on her sister, the Pearl.   If any one has been in one of these cabins (previously mini-suites), would the location be particularly noisy?  

We're booked on the Pearl for a fingers crossed sailing this October around Greece. Originally booked it for 3 people with the 3rd passenger free, but now need to look into switching the name on the booking to someone else. Prices now are about $1500 more than when we originally booked, but include airfare which mine did not (but I have tons of AA credits to burn through from 4 previous cancelled trips, so it's ok for us). 

We're booked in a 2br suite - price difference to jump to the Haven equivalent was an extra 3K which we didn't feel was worth it for this ship. There's no Haven bar, restaurant or lounge, just the courtyard pool. Didn't feel it was worth an extra 3K for that.

On 2/10/2021 at 2:15 AM, room with a view said:

thanks

Have you tried going to cruisedeckplans dot com? They have a deck-by-deck photo review of cabins and such.  This link will lead you to the balcony cabins: 

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/member/walk-thru.php?line=Norwegian&class=Jewel&cat=Balcony

I re-booked a twice canceled Bermuda cruise on the Pearl. Here's hoping we can all sail soon! 

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.54.33 AM.jpeg