Ideas for Fantasy 2.0 Class

Maddox121

Considering COVID is making record breaking ships (e.g. Mardi Gras) not feasible and killing half the Fantasy class, i have some ideas for a Fantasy 2.0 class.

This idea was partially inspired by: https://www.instagram.com/good_ship_/

*Fantasy 2.0 - Homeport: Mobile, Alabama

*Ecstasy 2.0 - Homeport: Jacksonville, Florida

*Sensation 2.0 - Homeport: Miami, Florida

*Fascination 2.0 - Homeport: San Juan, Puerto Rico

*Imagination 2.0 - Homeport: Long Beach, California

*Inspiration 2.0 - Homeport: San Jose, California

*Elation 2.0 - Homeport: Port Canaveral, Florida

*Paradise 2.0 - Homeport: Tampa, Florida

and as for the four survivors -

*Ecstasy - Homeport: Charleston, South Carolina

*Sensation - Homeport: Savannah, Georgia

*Elation - Homeport: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

*Paradise - Homeport: Barbados

Havent they said the bigger ships are more profitable with lower capacity? I think mardi gras will be the first ship that uses a different kind of power that runs cleaner. All lines are selling off their smaller ships because they are less profitable and turning to newer bigger ships with more pay options. Like the Havana area. 

The chances they will build smaller ships again is slim to zero when the profit trend is toward bigger more profitable ships. Sorry but I think you got this backwards. Yes, they have said first ships to sail will be the larger ships, because they are more profitable to run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maddox121 said:

Smaller ships are useful for smaller ports, sometime in the future, ports like Mobile and Jacksonville will have to have ships that fit.

No, the cruise lines will just stop using those ports.  The cities need the cruises lines, more than the cruiselines need the cities.  There are how many other ports within 2 hours of Jacksonville?  Mobile lost their ship and then Carnival gave them 1 back, as a Thank you for Triumph going there after its fire.(at least how it appeared.

True that sadly...

Jacksonville has a bridge meaning that once the rest of the Fantasy class goes, Jacksonville will be left in the dust.

Mobile, on the other hand, generally just can't fit any bigger than Fantasy ships.

So leaving ports is the option if they don't make the 2.0 Fantasy class.

59 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

No, the cruise lines will just stop using those ports.  The cities need the cruises lines, more than the cruiselines need the cities.  There are how many other ports within 2 hours of Jacksonville?  Mobile lost their ship and then Carnival gave them 1 back, as a Thank you for Triumph going there after its fire.(at least how it appeared.

Jacksonville cruises are a good bit less expensive than going out of Charleston just to do a Bahamas itiniarie.charleston is 2 hours from me but it's worth the 5 hour drive in cost savings to do the same trip.

18 minutes ago, scpirate said:

Jacksonville cruises are a good bit less expensive than going out of Charleston just to do a Bahamas itiniarie.charleston is 2 hours from me but it's worth the 5 hour drive in cost savings to do the same trip.

The fact that the price is a good deal less out of Jacksonville is exactly why carnival might pull the ship, if it costs less to cruise, carnival makes less.

• Like 2

Savannah does not have a terminal, nor parking facilities for drive-in passengers.  Also, there is not sufficient flight capacity to fill a cruise ship.  There are few direct flights to/from Savannah - you just can't get there from here.  We live 40 miles from SAV but fly more often from JAX.  We also have a bridge with 185' air draft.  Fantasy class would fit, possibly Spirit class.  Soirit class has sailed from JAX so fits under that bridge.  EM

25 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Savannah does not have a terminal, nor parking facilities for drive-in passengers.  Also, there is not sufficient flight capacity to fill a cruise ship.  There are few direct flights to/from Savannah - you just can't get there from here.  We live 40 miles from SAV but fly more often from JAX.  We also have a bridge with 185' air draft.  Fantasy class would fit, possibly Spirit class.  Soirit class has sailed from JAX so fits under that bridge.  EM

Where do the 'direct' flights stop in route? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Lol, no. Scrap them all and never let them come back. Drop the ports that can’t accommodate the needs of the business going forward. If the ports want to remain competitive, let them find a way to handle different types of ships.

👍👍👍

6 hours ago, Maddox121 said:

So leaving ports is the option if they don't make the 2.0 Fantasy class.

The only place that the Fantasy 2.0 will be built is in your mind.  You have good intentions,  but in reality they are not feasible.  Carnival streamlined things in order to be fiscally smart and the last thing they are going to do is move backwards.  The Fantasy Class with the exception of the few survivors are in Carnival's rear view mirror.  

3 hours ago, Maddox121 said:

True, and i really never realized that Spirit class can fit under the bridge (it just kinda has an illusion that makes it look bigger than the Fantasy ships).

What illusion are you implying?  Here are the facts.  The Fantasy Class ships are 70-71 K tons, 855 ft in length and 103 tall.  The Spirit Class ships are 88 K tons, 963 ft in length and 106 tall.  The Spirit was originally built by Carnival to sail to Alaska and thus were the first Class of ships in the fleet to emphasize balconies.  The Spirit, Pride and Miracle also have the best passenger to size ratio in the fleet and because of this are beloved by many.

No to putting another Fantasy class ship in Charleston (and I love the Fantasy class!).  Unless they were to add a 2nd ship but they won't do that because they can charge premium fares for a not-new ship just because there's no competition.  I love sailing from Charleston simply because I can drive, but mostly because it's Charleston and is a fantastic place to visit all on it's own.

I've always thought putting a ship in Norfolk, at least for all summer to do Bermuda sailings, would be a good idea.  The problem with Norfolk is the terminal being downtown.  Traffic is a nightmare.  If they could insists on no drop-offs (have drop-offs at the off-site parking w/shuttle buses), it could relieve a lot of the traffic problems.

I personally prefer smaller ships.  One of the reasons I'm sailing more on HAL is because of the ships.  Their newest are about 100k but most of them are very similar to the Spirit-class.  Much better layout and space ratio.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

No to putting another Fantasy class ship in Charleston (and I love the Fantasy class!).  Unless they were to add a 2nd ship but they won't do that because they can charge premium fares for a not-new ship just because there's no competition.  I love sailing from Charleston simply because I can drive, but mostly because it's Charleston and is a fantastic place to visit all on it's own.

I've always thought putting a ship in Norfolk, at least for all summer to do Bermuda sailings, would be a good idea.  The problem with Norfolk is the terminal being downtown.  Traffic is a nightmare.  If they could insists on no drop-offs (have drop-offs at the off-site parking w/shuttle buses), it could relieve a lot of the traffic problems.

I personally prefer smaller ships.  One of the reasons I'm sailing more on HAL is because of the ships.  Their newest are about 100k but most of them are very similar to the Spirit-class.  Much better layout and space ratio.

Finally someone who likes the smaller ships like i do, i mean, the Oasis class looks epic and all, but you just can't beat the charm of the Fantasy-class compared to the others.

I don't see any new ships being ordered before 2025, with the possible exception of the Fincantieri "Sphere" class ships currently on order for Princess being transferred to Carnival. Some other Carnival brands have some on order, but they will be the last for a while. Carnival Corp has too much debt it will need to pay down.

That said, if Carnival can build two new ship this decade:

Jacksonville will be the first to go as Ecstasy's and Elation's routes will be consolidated into one ship at Port Canaveral, quite likely the a Dream-class ship, which is basically a zero-sum change for 4 & 5 day sailings to the Bahamas. The new ship lands in Miami.

New Orleans gets two larger ships (possibly the other Dream-class vessels), allowing them to absorb Mobile passengers. The two Conquest class ships in New Orleans then take the routes currently assigned to Sunrise, which allows them to absorb Tampa passengers currently served by the Paradise (3000 + 3000 = 4000 + 2000, and yes, I know I'm rounding).