Gala/Formal Evenings

DaisyUK

1 hour ago, lissie said:

There aren't changing rooms next to the pool - so you are suggesting I wriggle out of wet togs under a towel rather than wrap the towel around me? Or do you put a cover up on and just let it get wet through - dunno about men - but for woman that can be much more revealing 

It's no big deal, honestly. No wriggling needed when towelling off wet swimwear, reducing them to just damp before slipping on a cover up.

I've done it for years and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Where there's a will and all that. Give it a try next time.  🙂

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm not sure which pool you're talking about but there are changing rooms next to most of them.

Queen Elizabeth - I was using the aft pool - no changing rooms that I recall - and I just had a look on the plan - nothing marked.  

9 hours ago, lissie said:

Queen Elizabeth - I was using the aft pool - no changing rooms that I recall - and I just had a look on the plan - nothing marked.  

As others have said, there are alternatives to the changing rooms, such as covering up on deck or in one of the public bathrooms. We would consider both of these preferable to walking through the ship in a towel, which we would never do on Cunard or any smart hotel for that matter. 

On 3/23/2021 at 7:05 AM, mcloaked said:

Of course there is also the fact that for people who want to not dress up in the evenings at all there are many more cruise lines that offer cruises on board ships where you can dress as you like and never have to dress up for a formal or Gala evening - but for those of us who enjoy being a part of the atmosphere where almost everyone is dressing formally a couple of evenings a week, there are only a few cruise lines on whose ships we can do it.  Most people who do like dressing up do not go onto the forums for the other cruise lines complaining that they don't require formal dress on some evenings, but it seems there are always some who will be on this forum saying they should have the freedom to not adhere to a request to dress formally on the few nights in a week when it is requested. Let those who like to do it enjoy the cruises lines where this remains a custom that clearly many continue to get pleasure from, and let those who wish not to do so enjoy the many opportunities offered by a significant number of cruise ships where no request to do so is ever made.

I have complained  many times about no enforcement of the dress code on princess.They dont care so my next two cruises are on Cunard. 

Edited by oskidunker

11 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

On QE  and Q.V. ,  there are NO changing Rooms or public toilets you can access externally.  The changing on deck exercise under a towel demands a dexterity  beyond many . 

Both Pavilion Pool Deck - Starboard Side - Forward 

11 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

On QE  and Q.V. ,  there are NO changing Rooms or public toilets you can access externally.  The changing on deck exercise under a towel demands a dexterity  beyond many . 

Probably why no one has advocated it. 🙂

On 3/24/2021 at 6:04 PM, Lakesregion said:

Consider using the robe provided by Cunard.

OMG! The "robe" debate is raging over on Regent. I'm shocked (simply shocked....tongue firmly in cheek) that it would even be mentioned, considered on Cunard....horrors! (giggle!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It is interesting that so much vital discussion about Formal/Gala evenings is focussed on how to deal with being in a wet swimsuit and transitioning gracefully (or is that another thread!).  Perhaps some clever company will design a solo-change-gear which would be supported from the shoulders, and allow the offending wet swimsuit for either or any gender to be removed without revealing any parts of the body to spying passengers in the vicinity, and maintain dignity and balance throughout the process, and then allow the user to remove the protective transition tent to emerge with full beauty in dry clothes and allow the dripping swimwear to be carried back to the stateroom. This would preserve the dress codes within the ship, and give the enterprising company a good profit for years to come. Perhaps one could even buy such gear in the shops on deck 3?

36 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

It is interesting that so much vital discussion about Formal/Gala evenings is focussed on how to deal with being in a wet swimsuit and transitioning gracefully (or is that another thread!).  Perhaps some clever company will design a solo-change-gear which would be supported from the shoulders, and allow the offending wet swimsuit for either or any gender to be removed without revealing any parts of the body to spying passengers in the vicinity, and maintain dignity and balance throughout the process, and then allow the user to remove the protective transition tent to emerge with full beauty in dry clothes and allow the dripping swimwear to be carried back to the stateroom. This would preserve the dress codes within the ship, and give the enterprising company a good profit for years to come. Perhaps one could even buy such gear in the shops on deck 3?

It’s called a beach changing poncho... available online from many outlets.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Both Pavilion Pool Deck - Starboard Side - Forward 

You mean inside the spa , past the spa reception  i.e. the spa/gym changing rooms , not accessible from outside.

If a hotel or cruise ship insists on no swimwear indoors then it simply must provide changing facilities by the pool. QE and Q.V. don't .

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

You mean inside the spa , past the spa reception  i.e. the spa/gym changing rooms , not accessible from outside.

If a hotel or cruise ship insists on no swimwear indoors then it simply must provide changing facilities by the pool. QE and Q.V. don't .

Sorry, I did not explain myself fully.

Central Pool between the Spa and Garden Room - Starboard Side Forward - Behind the Towel Butler Stations (partially screened off) - From the Table Tennis entrance- turn sharp left-walk towards the towel station-keeping left-walk to the ship side-when you can’t go any further toilets/changing are on your left.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

And to be fair to Cunard - its not them insisting no swimwear inside - its just this message board LOL. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lissie said:

And to be fair to Cunard - its not them insisting no swimwear inside - its just this message board LOL. 

Please see Hattie's post #33

Edited by Victoria2
corrected post number

Let me respond to both posts

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Please see Hattie's post #33

12 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Sorry, I did not explain myself fully.

Central Pool between the Spa and Garden Room - Starboard Side Forward - Behind the Towel Butler Stations (partially screened off) - From the Table Tennis entrance- turn sharp left-walk towards the towel station-keeping left-walk to the ship side-when you can’t go any further toilets/changing are on your left.

Aren't  these just toilets,  not changing rooms , there is a very big difference. You can't be expected to change in toilets, you need a shower,  somewhere to sit , somewhere  dry to put clothes. 

If Cunard insist on no swimwear indoors as they do on daily  programme,  then they must provide proper changing facilities by the pool. Without this that rule is nonsense. We are not talking about swimwear in public rooms, lounges , restaurants, bars etc, but a walk to cabin as described earlier in this thread by liberal baggie. Anyway doesn't a towel over the swimwear conform to the swimwear must be covered rule. 

One should not be expected to change in toilets , use a beach poncho,  or not change and put dry clothes over wet swimwear.  Provide decent changing facilities and this is all solved.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Let me respond to both posts

Aren't  these just toilets,  not changing rooms , there is a very big difference. You can't be expected to change in toilets, you need a shower,  somewhere to sit , somewhere  dry to put clothes. 

If Cunard insist on no swimwear indoors as they do on daily  programme,  then they must provide proper changing facilities by the pool. Without this that rule is nonsense. We are not talking about swimwear in public rooms, lounges , restaurants, bars etc, but a walk to cabin as described earlier in this thread by liberal baggie. Anyway doesn't a towel over the swimwear conform to the swimwear must be covered rule. 

One should not be expected to change in toilets , use a beach poncho,  or not change and put dry clothes over wet swimwear.  Provide decent changing facilities and this is all solved.

A point I made earlier as technically correct. 🙂

There is no need to change garments, just a towel, after towelling down. Shorts, shirt, cover up etc will sort this perceived problem,  and judging by the lack of towel wrapped passengers I see heading poolside to cabin, it isn't an issue for the majority of passengers who abide by the spirit of advice given.

Even after towelling down my swimming trunks are still wet, so covering with shorts will be both uncomfortable and prone to showing  embarassing wet patches, so that doesn't work for men.

This is of course not a problem for the vast majority who only sunbathe,  or who spend time in the sun after a swim. Which is why you may not see many towelled people. 

However if someone pops up just for a quick swim and wants to go straight back they need a changing room.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Even after towelling down my swimming trunks are still wet, so covering with shorts will be both uncomfortable and prone to showing  embarassing wet patches, so that doesn't work for men.

This is of course not a problem for the vast majority who only sunbathe,  or who spend time in the sun after a swim. Which is why you may not see many towelled people. 

However if someone pops up just for a quick swim and wants to go straight back they need a changing room.

Think this may be all about you, with a perception of what you want.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Well as a woman I don't want embarrassing wet patches either! And as a I wear a one piece I also don't want to leave water on the floor which may be a hazard to others.  

Maybe its a cultural thing? In Oz/NZ we don't lie around in the sun - it kills. Instead we tend to jump in  the water to get cool and swim. If I was spending anytime in the water I  went in wearing a rash vest and board shorts over my togs, and a sun hat and glasses.  I don't do  skin cancer.  Sometimes I wrapped a sarong around me - sometimes a towel. 

The cruise I did on QE was out of Sydney - and the weather was perfect and the cruises mainly Australian. Few were sunbathing - those that did probably had cover ups - but that's not the same as going for a swim. 

• Like 1

I've always just worn a bathrobe and flip flops to the pool and hot tubs and back on the QM2.  There are no changing facilities anyone uses.  Essentially no different than passengers with sweaty gymwear except I smell better.  If Cunard didn't want passengers in those facilities they would close them at 5PM. It's a glorified cruise ship not the Ritz tea room.

• Like 7