NCL's Peace of Mind policy is a crock of &%@#/!!! 

LCfromFL

5 hours ago, electro said:

I'm talking about Cruise next FCCs that I bought on my cruise in May, 2018. They original expiry date was May, 2022, 4 years from purchase. They change the expiry to Apr 2022, actually shortening them by a month.

I think it is ridiculous that NCL will not extent FCCs when they haven't sailed in almost a year and will be over a year by the time they start again.

I would be calling again, how can they not extend it when they won't even be sailing by the time it expires. The money you paid them doesn't expire.

Ah, I misunderstood.

But yea, the fact that they aren't willing to extend the FCC is a real kicker.

I actually rebooked already with the original FCC, but that cruise also got cancelled. They returned my FCC but with the original expiry date.

Makes me wonder, if I go ahead and book something for say May 2021, but that ends up being cancelled, I effectively lose my FCC? That seems so very wrong to me....

8 hours ago, pentiumvi said:

Ah, I misunderstood.

I actually rebooked already with the original FCC, but that cruise also got cancelled. They returned my FCC but with the original expiry date.

Makes me wonder, if I go ahead and book something for say May 2021, but that ends up being cancelled, I effectively lose my FCC? That seems so very wrong to me....

100% agree!

Any FCC that was given due to a cancellation should be extended for a year after "ships set sail".

Nobody expected this, but NCL should be flexible.  It's really bad PR.

I understand that the FCC is kind of meaningless with price increases...which makes in more important to honor the FCC given to past passengers.  Same for CN certificates....how can you use a product if the product isn't available?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I understand that the FCC is kind of meaningless with price increases...which makes in more important to honor the FCC given to past passengers.

Two issues I'm seeing in this thread:

First, there seems to be confusion because some people are not getting the idea that we are talking about FCCs (credits issued by NCL because of a cancellation) here and not about CruiseNext certificates (credits purchased by NCL cruisers). We need to stick to one topic and we need to "speak the same language" so that everyone is talking about the same thing.

Second, is the quote above (provided as just one example) about FCC being meaningless. This isn't accurate. Let me demonstrate.

Two cruisers (A & B) pay $1,000 each for a cruise which is then cancelled. Cruiser A opts for a refund and is given $1,000 back. Cruiser B opts for the FCC and receives an FCC for $1,250. They decide to book a future cruise, however the cruise price has increased and is now $1,500 instead of the $1,000 for the original bookings. To take the new cruise, Cruiser A has to put out $1,500 (the original $1,000 PLUS $500 in additional cash). However, Cruiser B pays the same amount by putting out their original $1,000, the additional FCC of $250, PLUS $250 in additional cash). In the end, Cruiser A will invest $1,500 of their money in the new cruise, and Cruiser B will invest $1,250 of their money in the new cruise. Even though the new cruise costs more, the person with the additional FCC will end up with a smaller out of pocket investment.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

First, there seems to be confusion because some people are not getting the idea that we are talking about FCCs (credits issued by NCL because of a cancellation) here and not about CruiseNext certificates (credits purchased by NCL cruisers). We need to stick to one topic and we need to "speak the same language" so that everyone is talking about the same thing.

Second, is the quote above (provided as just one example) about FCC being meaningless. This isn't accurate. Let me demonstrate.

Two cruisers (A & B) pay $1,000 each for a cruise which is then cancelled. Cruiser A opts for a refund and is given $1,000 back. Cruiser B opts for the FCC and receives an FCC for $1,250. They decide to book a future cruise, however the cruise price has increased and is now $1,500 instead of the $1,000 for the original bookings. To take the new cruise, Cruiser A has to put out $1,500 (the original $1,000 PLUS $500 in additional cash). However, Cruiser B pays the same amount by putting out their original $1,000, the additional FCC of $250, PLUS $250 in additional cash). In the end, Cruiser A will invest $1,500 of their money in the new cruise, and Cruiser B will invest $1,250 of their money in the new cruise. Even though the new cruise costs more, the person with the additional FCC will end up with a smaller out of pocket investment.

You aren't following me (or maybe I am misinformed).

Two cruises paid $1000 each for a cruise April 2020 and it's canceled.

Cruiser #1 wants his money back.  He gets it.

Cruiser #2 wants the FCC (and I am not confusing it with "CruiseNext") so he has a FCC certificate of $1250 that has an expiration date of April 2021.  He books a cruise for Jan 2021...and, sadly, that cruise is canceled.  So he gets his FCC back...but it still expires April 2021...no extension for this poor cruiser.   Guess what?  Ships still won't be sailing in April 2021.  So, now he has an FCC that is valueless.  Maybe I am wrong, but that's my understanding.  And if I'm understanding correctly, it's just wrong. 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

You aren't following me (or maybe I am misinformed).

Two cruises paid $1000 each for a cruise April 2020 and it's canceled.

Cruiser #1 wants his money back.  He gets it.

Cruiser #2 wants the FCC (and I am not confusing it with "CruiseNext") so he has a FCC certificate of $1250 that has an expiration date of April 2021.  He books a cruise for Jan 2021...and, sadly, that cruise is canceled.  So he gets his FCC back...but it still expires April 2021...no extension for this poor cruiser.   Guess what?  Ships still won't be sailing in April 2021.  So, now he has an FCC that is valueless.  Maybe I am wrong, but that's my understanding.  And if I'm understanding correctly, it's just wrong. 😞

First, I didn't say YOU were confusing CruiseNext with FCC, I said "some people on here" in reference to my first point. Your post was just one EXAMPLE of what I was taking about in my second point. Let's not conflate the two points.

The very first FCCs given at the start of the pandemic had expiration dates of Dec 2022 (copy attached for reference) so they are good for almost two full years from today. I'm not seeing how FCCs are already expiring. Just seems like people are confusing CruiseNext with FCC - - which throws the whole topic off the rails.

NCL COVID Letter 031420.pdf

13 hours ago, pentiumvi said:

Ah, I misunderstood.

Again...

"Note FCCs have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash. If a guest opts to retain the FCC provided, the guest hereby agrees to all of NCL’s terms and conditions associated with the FCC, which can also be found on www.ncl.com/cruise-faq. Please be advised that at no time will an FCC be redeemable for cash, including but not limited to situations of possible future cruise suspensions, displacements, cancellations or if the FCC exceeds the time in which it must be used."

1 hour ago, Capitan Obvious said:

First, I didn't say YOU were confusing CruiseNext with FCC, I said "some people on here" in reference to my first point. Your post was just one EXAMPLE of what I was taking about in my second point. Let's not conflate the two points.

The very first FCCs given at the start of the pandemic had expiration dates of Dec 2022 (copy attached for reference) so they are good for almost two full years from today. I'm not seeing how FCCs are already expiring. Just seems like people are confusing CruiseNext with FCC - - which throws the whole topic off the rails.

NCL COVID Letter 031420.pdf 75.17 kB · 2 downloads

So, the confusing thing is that when you log on to your MyNCL account, my FCC show an expiration date before the Dec 2022 date in the letter. When you log on to your MyNCL account, do you show Dec 2022 dates and beyond. 

They expire a year after they are issued, and that’s what my online account shows.  But can be used on a cruise sailing up to Dec 2022.  In my case, I need to book a cruise by this March, but it can be for any cruise up to Dec 2022. 

26 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So, the confusing thing is that when you log on to your MyNCL account, my FCC show an expiration date before the Dec 2022 date in the letter. When you log on to your MyNCL account, do you show Dec 2022 dates and beyond. 

My dates and what is in my account are just fine. Thanks for asking. However, my account isn't the topic here. I don't the the OP gives a darn about my account.

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Again...

"Note FCCs have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash. If a guest opts to retain the FCC provided, the guest hereby agrees to all of NCL’s terms and conditions associated with the FCC, which can also be found on www.ncl.com/cruise-faq. Please be advised that at no time will an FCC be redeemable for cash, including but not limited to situations of possible future cruise suspensions, displacements, cancellations or if the FCC exceeds the time in which it must be used."

Yup, we all know what it says.

But, given that at the time of issue, both NCL and the travellers expected, in good faith, that cruising would resume before then, one would hope (And it would look good on NCL's part) that the FCC would be extended should cruising not resume before then.  (And likewise should it have been used and then that trip was canceled).

Do they have to legally?  Probably not.
Should they morally/business standpoint?  Almost certainly yes.

5 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

NCL COVID Letter 031420.pdf 75.17 kB · 3 downloads

The FCCs allow you to book a cruise up to Dec 2022, but have a "use-by" date of April, 2021 (for the first batch of FCCs).

So if one was to book a cruise after April 2021 with the FCC, but that cruise gets cancelled, current situation is that the FCC would be expired and gone.

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Again...

I don't see how this clause has anything to do with what I was complaining about.

You cherry-picked that part of the sentence, but if you read the beginning, it's talking about the FCC being redeemable for cash.

I 100% agree that if you let the FCC expire, you wouldn't get cash back.

But the situation I'm talking about is using FCCs on future cruises that keep getting cancelled. NCL keeps returning the FCC with original expiry date. If you end up using the FCC for a future cruise that gets cancelled AFTER your FCC use-by date, then you effectively lost your money.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

You are overlooking the other options which is that cruise A who was savvy enough to take cash back can simply not book this $1,500 cruise now. They can realize that the market is overflooded with FCC booking customers with zero supply which is artificially inflating cost. If cruiser A waits it out, they may very well be able to book the same cruise when the market begins to return to normal at the 1,000 price again, therefore saving $250 over cruiser B. Cash is king when the market is unpredictable.

15 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

You are overlooking the other options which is that cruise A who was savvy enough to take cash back can simply not book this $1,500 cruise now. They can realize that the market is overflooded with FCC booking customers with zero supply which is artificially inflating cost. If cruiser A waits it out, they may very well be able to book the same cruise when the market begins to return to normal at the 1,000 price again, therefore saving $250 over cruiser B. Cash is king when the market is unpredictable.

Don't be ridiculous. We can all play the "make up something so our argument sounds correct" game. You are overlooking the other option where Cruiser A loses the money at the track and has nothing left what-so-ever. 

Sheesh...anything to be a naysayer, right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

Yup, we all know what it says.

But, given that at the time of issue, both NCL and the travellers expected, in good faith, that cruising would resume before then, one would hope (And it would look good on NCL's part) that the FCC would be extended should cruising not resume before then.  (And likewise should it have been used and then that trip was canceled).

Do they have to legally?  Probably not.
Should they morally/business standpoint?  Almost certainly yes.

And there is the obligatory appeal to pity when no legitimate point is available.

3 hours ago, pentiumvi said:

I don't see how this clause has anything to do with what I was complaining about.

You cherry-picked that part of the sentence, but if you read the beginning, it's talking about the FCC being redeemable for cash.

I 100% agree that if you let the FCC expire, you wouldn't get cash back.

But the situation I'm talking about is using FCCs on future cruises that keep getting cancelled. NCL keeps returning the FCC with original expiry date. If you end up using the FCC for a future cruise that gets cancelled AFTER your FCC use-by date, then you effectively lost your money.

And once again that is covered by the terms I cited.  In particular this snippet -> "including but not limited to situations of possible future cruise suspensions, displacements, cancellations or if the FCC exceeds the time in which it must be used."  Direct and specific to the situation at hand.  Exactly what anyone who accepted FCC agreed to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

And once again that is covered by the terms I cited.  In particular this snippet -> "including but not limited to situations of possible future cruise suspensions, displacements, cancellations or if the FCC exceeds the time in which it must be used."  Direct and specific to the situation at hand.  Exactly what anyone who accepted FCC agreed to.

You're still interpreting that paragraph out of context:

"Please be advised that at no time will an FCC be redeemable for cash, including but not limited to situations of possible future cruise suspensions, displacements, cancellations or if the FCC exceeds the time in which it must be used."

The above highlighted portion is the key point in this particular clause. This says that if there are future suspensions, cancellations, or whatever, the FCC is not redeemable for cash. Basically, if you accept the FCC and the future cruise you use it on is also cancelled, then you can't get cash back.

The situation isn't that I am looking for cash refund of the FCC due to ongoing cancellations. I am simply looking for the FCC expiration date to be extended.

I do not believe the topic regarding FCC expiration date is covered anywhere in the T&C.

Edited by pentiumvi

Devil's advocate here - it's possible NCL is waiting until cruising resumes to make a decision on extension of FCCs.  Until April there's no rush to make that determination (as much as people would like to see theirs extended today), and rather than extending it several times over the next few months they'll do it once, once they know how long they need to extend it for.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, LCfromFL said:

NCL's Peace of Mind policy is a crock of &%@#/!!! 

Our Trans Atlantic cruise on the Escape (4/16/2021) was booked with a FCC after NCL cancelled our April 2020 Alaskan cruise. The NCL Peace of Mind policy states that they have waived their cancellation fees if you cancel 61+ days in advance. So I called NCL and my TA.  NCL will NOT issue a refund. Period. When accepting the FCC, they have some nasty small print language that essentially says the FCC is not worth any money and if it expires without use it is just gone. Since we booked with a FCC, they only thing we can get is another FCC. At this point, our best hope is that NCL cancels the cruise and issues a FCC and then somehow returns to operation prior to the expiration of that FCC.

I'm furious. 🤬

do a chargeback, they cant offer back an fcc if they dont know when they can sail again and they have an expire date on the original fcc. 

took me 2 months but i got a final letter of siding with me.  they really cant fight it with no guaranteed date of sailing. 

3 hours ago, seaman11 said:

do a chargeback, they cant offer back an fcc if they dont know when they can sail again and they have an expire date on the original fcc. 

took me 2 months but i got a final letter of siding with me.  they really cant fight it with no guaranteed date of sailing. 

Usually can't do a chargeback after 3 or 4 months I don't think.

4 hours ago, seaman11 said:

There is NEVER a guarantee of a sailing date.