NCL's Peace of Mind policy is a crock of &%@#/!!! 

LCfromFL

Our Trans Atlantic cruise on the Escape (4/16/2021) was booked with a FCC after NCL cancelled our April 2020 Alaskan cruise. The NCL Peace of Mind policy states that they have waived their cancellation fees if you cancel 61+ days in advance. So I called NCL and my TA.  NCL will NOT issue a refund. Period. When accepting the FCC, they have some nasty small print language that essentially says the FCC is not worth any money and if it expires without use it is just gone. Since we booked with a FCC, they only thing we can get is another FCC. At this point, our best hope is that NCL cancels the cruise and issues a FCC and then somehow returns to operation prior to the expiration of that FCC.

I'm furious. 🤬

Edited by LCfromFL

Just now, shof515 said:

the original payment method is a FCC, all refunds goes back to the original payment method which is the FCC . there is no way to change that

And that was clear from the outset in NCL's stated policy.  What is there to be furious about?

• Like 6

I cancelled that cruise months ago.  Had booked using a Cruise Next certificate, so wasn't out-of-pocket anything.  That immediately went back into my account.

Although that expiration date was extended to 4/2022, I just booked Bliss TA for April 2023 and the CN was accepted as the deposit.  If I cancel after 4/2022, I'll probably lose that but who knows.  We don't know what's going to happen.

But, yeah, if you didn't pay anything for the booking, there's nothing to refund.  That's a chance you take with accepting the FCCs instead of refunds.  I've had so many cancellations over the past year, I have to track my FCCs/OBCs/refunds on a spreadsheet.  I now have 9 sailings booked between April 2021 and May 2023 (on MSC, Carnival, HAL, X, and NCL).  Expecting the April cruises to be cancelled next and, yes, I'll probably take the FCCs, depending on what the offer is from MSC.  I'm going to keep rolling these over until I can either sail or a line goes out of business!

Hey, if I lose a deposit, so be it.  I've "saved" a lot of money over the past year by not being able to go anywhere.  It's a calculated risk I'm willing to take.

• Like 2

It seems.....

When your April 2020 cruise was cancelled, you had a choice between having your money returned or FCC. You chose the FCC. 

That FCC was used to book the transatlantic for April 2021. When you called to cancel, your refund will be the FCC you used to book the transatlantic. 

45 minutes ago, LCfromFL said:

Since we booked with a FCC, they only thing we can get is another FCC.

Correct. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

I'm genuinely confused what you're furious about?

Are they charging you cancellation fees for cancelling now?  It doesn't seem like they are.  Are they refusing to let you cancel?  It doesn't seem like that as well.

From reading your post, it seems like, if you were to cancel now, you'd be in the exact same position you were in before you booked; is that not the case?  Will the new FCCs have a new use-by date, or are they trying to give you expired FCCs?

(If NCL is not extending the use-by date of FCCs despite them not being usable since they're not sailing, THAT would be a problem!)

Edited by Named-Tawny
  • Like 2

Another rant from someone who wants something they aren’t entitled to based on their own short-sighted prior decisions that bound them to something uncertain in the future. 

.... or am I missing something where they should now get a refund for something they committed to as non-refundable?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LCfromFL said:

Our Trans Atlantic cruise on the Escape (4/16/2021) was booked with a FCC after NCL cancelled our April 2020 Alaskan cruise. The NCL Peace of Mind policy states that they have waived their cancellation fees if you cancel 61+ days in advance. So I called NCL and my TA.  NCL will NOT issue a refund. Period. When accepting the FCC, they have some nasty small print language that essentially says the FCC is not worth any money and if it expires without use it is just gone. Since we booked with a FCC, they only thing we can get is another FCC. At this point, our best hope is that NCL cancels the cruise and issues a FCC and then somehow returns to operation prior to the expiration of that FCC.

I'm furious. 🤬

No idea why you are furious.

At the time of your April 2020 Alaskan cancellation you had a choice on taking the future cruise credit or a cash refund. You chose the FCC. And by doing so, you agreed to the terms and conditions of the FCC. Now you have FCC to use on a future cruise. The choice was yours. 

The NCL T&Cs are pretty clear

FCCs have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash. If a guest opts to retain the FCC provided, the guest hereby agrees to all of NCL's terms and conditions associated with the FCC, which can also be found on www.ncl.com/cruise-faq. Please be advised that at no time will an FCC be redeemable for cash, including but not limited to situations of possible future cruise suspensions, displacements, cancellations or if the FCC exceeds the time in which it must be used.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Although that expiration date was extended to 4/2022,

I just checked my FCC on myNCL and see that they have also been changed to 4/2022. The problem is that the original expiry date was 5/2022 so they actually shorten their life by a month.

If NCL had any integrity at all, all FCC that were due to expire after cruising had stopped, would be extended by the amount of time that they have not been sailing, which will be min 1 yr.

• Like 2

Yea, mad about what? You want the best of both worlds. You chose the FCC and any bonus that may have been attached to that instead of a cash refund. Now you want to change your mind with that and want a refund now that it isn't working out to your liking. Thats not how it works, man. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Named-Tawny said:

(If NCL is not extending the use-by date of FCCs despite them not being usable since they're not sailing, THAT would be a problem!)

This is the problem!

Both my sister and a friend of mine have lost an FCC that has expired since NCL has stopped sailing.

Edited by electro

You are failing to read...

"Note FCCs have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash. If a guest opts to retain the FCC provided, the guest hereby agrees to all of NCL’s terms and conditions associated with the FCC, which can also be found on www.ncl.com/cruise-faq. Please be advised that at no time will an FCC be redeemable for cash, including but not limited to situations of possible future cruise suspensions, displacements, cancellations or if the FCC exceeds the time in which it must be used."

Pay particular to the last sentence where it address everything here.  Having reading and grammar skills past the 3rd grade level is a great thing

6 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

"Note FCCs have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash. If a guest opts to retain the FCC provided, the guest hereby agrees to all of NCL’s terms and conditions associated with the FCC, which can also be found on www.ncl.com/cruise-faq. Please be advised that at no time will an FCC be redeemable for cash, including but not limited to situations of possible future cruise suspensions, displacements, cancellations or if the FCC exceeds the time in which it must be used."

Pay particular to the last sentence where it address everything here.  Having reading and grammar skills past the 3rd grade level is a great thing

No sympathy for these people, they took the bait of 25% extra and didn't read the fine print, which really isn't that fine. Every cruise of mine cancelled I took the cash, no FCC, no extra 25% and I don't regret it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I don't remember ever seeing this on FCC that are purchased.

33 minutes ago, tgloersen said:

This is why i took my money back!  FCC is worthless.

Yep, I've been saying this for months  as well and since all of this began. Take the cash but some  didn't listen and they boasted about being wise and taking the extra fake bonus. I knew they would raise the rates on future cruises more then enough to offset that bonus thus making it worthless since day one when this all happened last March. Those that thought they chose wisely all think otherwise now and wish they hadn't gone that direction. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Yep, I've been saying this for months  as well and since all of this began. 

You and me both. Wait until some of these cruise lines file for bankruptcy protection and the FCC's become worthless (a scenario, which, to me has always seemed inevitable).  This forum will be on fire.

To the OP, I am sorry for your loss. It's a tough lesson learned. I do hope you wonderful travels whenever they may resume.

2 hours ago, electro said:

I just checked my FCC on myNCL and see that they have also been changed to 4/2022. The problem is that the original expiry date was 5/2022 so they actually shorten their life by a month.

If NCL had any integrity at all, all FCC that were due to expire after cruising had stopped, would be extended by the amount of time that they have not been sailing, which will be min 1 yr.

Your FCCs were extended to 2022 without you asking?

My FCC that I got last year still reflect 4/1/2021 expiry... Last time I called NCL, they wouldn't extend for me either.

20 minutes ago, pentiumvi said:

Your FCCs were extended to 2022 without you asking?

My FCC that I got last year still reflect 4/1/2021 expiry... Last time I called NCL, they wouldn't extend for me either.

I'm talking about Cruise next FCCs that I bought on my cruise in May, 2018. They original expiry date was May, 2022, 4 years from purchase. They change the expiry to Apr 2022, actually shortening them by a month.

I think it is ridiculous that NCL will not extent FCCs when they haven't sailed in almost a year and will be over a year by the time they start again.

I would be calling again, how can they not extend it when they won't even be sailing by the time it expires. The money you paid them doesn't expire.

Edited by electro
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LCfromFL said:

I'm furious. 🤬

Welcome to the NCL, CC shark tank.

I think you will find that there is quite a difference between Purchased FCC and "Gifted" FCC's (especially with a Bonus) due to a cancellation in the way that NCL treats them.

BUT one thing, at least, is common; if you used the FCC in the purchase of a cruise you will get an FCC on cancellation, no cash refund.