Do all Early Saver rates have non refundable deposits?

Californian

20 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Hmmm. That is surprising. I thought that gets taken back when you no longer have paid the qualifying offer. Was that your most recent statement. If so, they might catch up to what happened and the return of the credit might be on the next one.

That was the December statement.  Haven't gotten January's yet.

9 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I thought for ES, you only lose $50pp if you cancel and the balance or $598 goes to FCC. Was this not the case with your $698 deposit?

It wasn't ES.  It was reduced deposit.  I just mentioned it because you have to be careful of how you book a cruise.  With a reduced deposit, if you add more to the balance and decide to cancel and not re-book, they keep whatever the full deposit would have been.  Fortunately for us, the cruise was cancelled and we got it all back.  I will never book a cruise with a reduced deposit again.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

That was the December statement.  Haven't gotten January's yet.

Well we'll see what happens. I hope they don't take it back, but I would not be surprised if they do.

We once managed to use the $100 credit 3 times. Instead of putting the final payment on one card, we put it partly on my card and DW's giving us 2 credits. And then it came up again after final payment and I used my card to buy $500 OBC. I was worried that the last one would be taken back if we did not use all of it (in addition to other OBC we had), but then DW decided she had to have the most expensive Anne of Green Gables excursion, and it was all gone. So I cannot tell you from first hand experience whether they take it back or not.

7 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

It wasn't ES.  It was reduced deposit.  I just mentioned it because you have to be careful of how you book a cruise.  With a reduced deposit, if you add more to the balance and decide to cancel and not re-book, they keep whatever the full deposit would have been.  Fortunately for us, the cruise was cancelled and we got it all back.  I will never book a cruise with a reduced deposit again.

Thanks for this tip, we also booked an October cruise with $98/pp deposit, however not planning on giving them anymore money until we know more about what's going on.  They might end up keeping that $198 unless they cancel before, lol.

8 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

That's just wrong. If the rate includes a reduced deposit, then that's the amount they should keep. Was it at least going into a FCC? Even with Early Saver, if you cancel prior to final payment date, the deposit is received as a FCC, minus the $50/person fee.

21 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

did you try to cancel after the final payment date?

No.  I had mistakenly though5 that ES meant it was refundable.  That is not true.  I was thankful that they cancelled cause I was not allowed to.

3 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

No.  I had mistakenly though5 that ES meant it was refundable.  That is not true.  I was thankful that they cancelled cause I was not allowed to.

If you didn't try to cancel after the final payment date and you had booked ES you should have had to pay $50pp and the rest of the monies are to be held towards a future cruise.

Lucky for you that they cancelled and you didn't need to deal with this.

Hope your next booking goes off without a hitch!

15 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

That's just wrong. If the rate includes a reduced deposit, then that's the amount they should keep. Was it at least going into a FCC? Even with Early Saver, if you cancel prior to final payment date, the deposit is received as a FCC, minus the $50/person fee.

Here is the e-mail I received from our PVP after I asked him what would happen if I cancelled our cruise.  We had no intention of booking a future cruise until this mess is over.  We just wanted to cancel and get our money back.

Oh wow.  Well, if you cancel now you will lose $436 unfortunately as we have not cancelled your cruise as of this time.

We do understand where some people are not comfortable sailing next year with all that has been happening this year.

With that being said, we are allowing guests who are booked in a 2021 cruise to change/move your cruise to a later sailing date (we have some cruises open through April 2023) and we will waive any change fees for doing so ($50pp value).

18 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

be careful with reduced deposits bookings. most of them is automatically early saver in the fine print. I booked a cruise for 2022 last month as part of the reduce deposit sale that was going on. when i selected the fare code online there is no mention at all about early saver. It was only until i get the email confirmation when i noticed way down on the bottom under guest notes it said was a early saver booking. Opps

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shof515 said:

be careful with reduced deposits bookings. most of them is automatically early saver in the fine print. I booked a cruise for 2022 last month as part of the reduce deposit sale that was going on. when i selected the fare code online there is no mention at all about early saver. It was only until i get the email confirmation when i noticed way down on the bottom under guest notes it said was a early saver booking. Opps

We usually pick Early Saver anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm just surprised that if a reduced deposit is cancelled, they keep what would've been the full deposit. Our Jan. cruise that was cancelled was on sale, but I can't remember if it included reduced deposit. I'd have to look. Our PVP hasn't said anything about it, but then again, I've told him we'll be doing FCC + OBC.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:55 PM, shof515 said:

Yes, early saver is always non refundable. 

That's not entirely correct. I always book early saver and my August 2020 cruise was canceled by Carnival. in this instance, my entire deposit was refunded.

34 minutes ago, john91498 said:

That's not entirely correct. I always book early saver and my August 2020 cruise was canceled by Carnival. in this instance, my entire deposit was refunded.

rules is different based on who canceled

if you cancelled, it is non refundable and is subject to any cancellation fees or penalty

if carnival canceled, it is fully refundable and there is no fee or penalty

38 minutes ago, john91498 said:

It makes a difference if Carnival cancels the cruise or you do.  If Carnival cancels it, you get it all back.  Not so if you cancel it.

Sorry. shof515 posted the same time I did.

Edited by RWolver672

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 8:15 AM, ontheweb said:

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the AMEX $100 credit? Did they take it back once all the money was credited back to your account?

On 1/17/2021 at 8:21 AM, RWolver672 said:

All $698 was credited back to our account.  And we still kept the $100 credit.  (At least on the statement that had the $698 credit on it.)  

Update:  We got our January statement today.  Nothing was noted that they took back the $100 credit.