Vaccinations required

Kohima

36 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

The latest moves by the UK government surely means that Saga and all other cruises lines won't be leaving port this year with UK passengers aboard.  

I don't think you can necessarily make that deduction.  Certainly I can't see cruising happening in the next 6 months or so, but September onwards could be a possibility. I've booked a Princess cruise in October on the off chance that it might go ahead

It ups the odds that cruises round UK or to nowhere will be the first and only for a bit.

However the question is how can the crew get to the ship. Unless they can negotiate with government that ship is a quarantine facility . Crew would have to arrive same day or two and isolate off shore for 10 days after last non uk member arrives. Still would need 2 tests each.  Not that hopeful. 

On 2/8/2021 at 4:57 PM, Glenndale said:

Yes, I've seen their advice, but as I said it is easy to replicate.

I would hope that there will be a better way of authenticating a persons vaccination status.

Unfortunately not everyone is honest.

Thanks for the info about the vaccination evidence. A friend has sent me a photo of one, so I now know what it looks like. However I suppose other vaccination documents,  e.g. yellow fever paper certificates, could also be forged. Hopefully all will become clear one day soon. 

Being bored, I tried to work out the timescales to be eligible to board the first few Saga cruises as per their current schedule.

I have worked on the basis of a full 12 weeks between jabs, and 14 days from and including the 2nd jab, to but not including the sailing dates.

If the first few actually sail, those of you who manage to get both vaccinations in time will have a lot of space on board.

We all know that the Inaugural cruise on 4th May would be a tight fit, as it means having the 2nd jab no later than 20th April - which at 12 weeks, means the first jab 26th January.

But even for the cruise 17th June, the 2nd jab must be no later than 3rd June, which puts the first jab 11th March.

I am starting to think that Saga may have to either sail with even less paying passengers than expected, or cancel more cruises than they hoped.

Basically  Nosapphires maths mean , (ignoring health workers) that no one under 75 will be on 4th May cruise,  so I agree can't see that going ahead. For 17th June cruise all 60 plus should be vaccinated at the rate they're 3going, could well include many 55 plus. That seems to cover vast majority of passengers. 

So for June cruises it is other government restrictions not vaccination that will determine if cruises go ahead

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Basically  Nosapphires maths mean , (ignoring health workers) that no one under 75 will be on 4th May cruise,  so I agree can't see that going ahead. For 17th June cruise all 60 plus should be vaccinated at the rate they're 3going, could well include many 55 plus. That seems to cover vast majority of passengers. 

So for June cruises it is other government restrictions not vaccination that will determine if cruises go ahead

Be nice if all the 60plus can get their first jabs within the next 4 weeks - but their first jabs will be starting when a large percentage of those vaccinated early January are due for their 2nd jab, which is possibly going to mean a slowdown in the whole process.

I may be a bit cynical, as our local GP run vaccination centre started off brilliantly, but has been closed for the last 2 weeks as apparently they never received any more doses after the first batch, so we have no news of when group 5 (65plus) will be started. Plus the weather has slowed a lot down also.

20 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Being bored, I tried to work out the timescales to be eligible to board the first few Saga cruises as per their current schedule.

I have worked on the basis of a full 12 weeks between jabs, and 14 days from and including the 2nd jab, to but not including the sailing dates.

If the first few actually sail, those of you who manage to get both vaccinations in time will have a lot of space on board.

We all know that the Inaugural cruise on 4th May would be a tight fit, as it means having the 2nd jab no later than 20th April - which at 12 weeks, means the first jab 26th January.

But even for the cruise 17th June, the 2nd jab must be no later than 3rd June, which puts the first jab 11th March.

I am starting to think that Saga may have to either sail with even less paying passengers than expected, or cancel more cruises than they hoped.

A small crumb of comfort for all. The second dose can be booked 11, rather than 12, weeks after the first. I say this from experience !!

2 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

A small crumb of comfort for all. The second dose can be booked 11, rather than 12, weeks after the first. I say this from experience !!

I think it depends on the area. Here we are being told that we will be contacted when the second vaccination is due. You cannot book ahead. 

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think it depends on the area. Here we are being told that we will be contacted when the second vaccination is due. You cannot book ahead. 

There seems to be a lot of variation going on.  In our case, 10 days ago I got a letter but my wife didn't.  She rang the 119 number and was able to book us both in for our first jab, which happened to be about an hour ago.  When booking by phone we were also given appointments for our second jab in 11 weeks.  

Edited by Fletcher

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

If you book online at the NHS websire for a mass vaccination  centre  you must book your second vaccination at same time or you first booking is not validated. They offer you dates between 11 and 12 weeks ahead. Mine is tommorow and May 2nd.

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

If you book online at the NHS websire for a mass vaccination  centre  you must book your second vaccination at same time or you first booking is not validated. They offer you dates between 11 and 12 weeks ahead. Mine is tommorow and May 2nd.

We got our appointments by phone from the local surgery. No option of getting a second appointment. We just have to wait to be contacted again in 12 weeks or so.

Two different systems. I much prefer the system that you used.

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Totally consistent.  Ours was today and then 1st May.

I booked at a mass vaccination centre, Millennium Point in Birmingham and had the AZ vaccine.

S-I-L had her’s at a mass vaccination centre in Newark, she was given the Pfizer.

Another friend in Kendal had hers at her Drs surgery and was given Pfizer.

What have you all been given?

DH (group 4) was contacted by his GP on the phone, had Pfizer at GP led centre, and was told he would be contacted in 4-6 weeks for his second dose (.

Neighbour (group 3)at same centre on same day (different GP practice)also had Pfizer, but was told would be contacted in 12 weeks for 2nd dose.

No idea which is correct, probably the 12 week one.

I am group 5, not yet been contacted, our area has not yet started group 5 -  I heard via the local residents association that the GP group only got the one batch of vaccinations, and no idea when they will get any more. Which is a shame, because they managed to get it all set up in the local Salvation Arm hall in about 48 hours, and it ran like a dream, very efficient.

It is still on the NHS list as a vaccination centre, so hopefully it will be up and running again soon and I'll get a phone call before too long.

Oh, and neither DH or neighbour had any side effects, not even a sore arm.

Edited by nosapphire
added

With regard to the gap between the two doses, yes, there are definitely two systems. GPs operate their own and the NHS centralised system is computerised, with the 11 week gap.

As for supply, I volunteer at our local vaccination centre. As our area has now virtually covered all those in groups 1 to 4 we have been, in effect, paused until the next groups are sent letters inviting them to book. We are told that supplies are being targeted to those areas of the country who still need to cover those in the first four groups. Very sensible methinks.

1 hour ago, kool kruiser said:

With regard to the gap between the two doses, yes, there are definitely two systems. GPs operate their own and the NHS centralised system is computerised, with the 11 week gap.

As for supply, I volunteer at our local vaccination centre. As our area has now virtually covered all those in groups 1 to 4 we have been, in effect, paused until the next groups are sent letters inviting them to book. We are told that supplies are being targeted to those areas of the country who still need to cover those in the first four groups. Very sensible methinks.

Got my letter today, tried to book online, and the system told me I was ineligible.  Rang 119, but the guy on the phone could not override the system!

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Got my letter today, tried to book online, and the system told me I was ineligible.  Rang 119, but the guy on the phone could not override the system!

For those with the national NHS invite letter if you are between 65-69, the national booking system will go live on Monday for category 5 - but it is possible that in the meantime your local GP system may text you with a direct personal appointment invitation link, that they can send out to 65 to 69 year olds, if that surgery has already completed its over 70's patients. If you haven't had a GP invite by Monday then you can use the national booking system.

4 hours ago, mcloaked said:

For those with the national NHS invite letter if you are between 65-69, the national booking system will go live on Monday for category 5 - but it is possible that in the meantime your local GP system may text you with a direct personal appointment invitation link, that they can send out to 65 to 69 year olds, if that surgery has already completed its over 70's patients. If you haven't had a GP invite by Monday then you can use the national booking system.

Tried again this afternoon,  using my private details, and immediately accessed the system, and booked both my vaccinations.

Very happy,  and given the size of the logistics involved, I have no complaints about the way the vaccination  programme  is going. (I'm sure Mr Hancock will be pleased, although,  fortunately,  the vaccination programme is nothing to do with him!)   

Interesting, as DH (over 70) had a telephone invite but never received a letter.

I am in the over 65 group, but not yet received a letter or a contact (maybe next week or so).

At local (i.e, presenting-the-am-to-the-needle level) things are running very efficiently - but is it going to be hampered by the various systems running at the same time.?

Now it is being widely broadcast that all over 65s and all those with serious underlying health conditions can go online and book both appointments direct - so will people who were not given a date but told they would be contacted for their 2nd jab have problems getting fitted in to the bookings?

On 2/12/2021 at 11:07 AM, kool kruiser said:

So are the two systems going to clash with people waiting for the call from their GP to have their 2nd jab and all the slots being filled with others booking online for both jabs?

I am sure that the GP systems have planned for this and DH will get his call for his 2nd jab without problems - but I still can't help worrying about it.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:01 PM, nosapphire said:

Once I have the vaccination, I would not be too bothered about others being vaccinated. I'm protected, they're not - simple.

IF the May/June/July cruises go ahead, why would anyone worry about passengers having forged vaccination certificates when there are already 500plus un-vaccinated staff and crew on board?

Not quite as simple as that though.  Any of the current vaccines will mean that if you are infected once the immunity has built up to the maximum, you can still get infected, but if you do you are likely to have mild disease and not end up needing hospitalisation and very unlikely to die.  But the other key benefit if the majority of the people are vaccinated is that the level of case numbers in the population becomes very low so any individual has a much reduced risk of being exposed in the first place, which means that in addition to having the protection from the population as a whole from low incidence, if you are exposed then you will likely not get severely ill. So overall the benefit is maximised if most people are vaccinated.  So the Saga policy makes a great deal of sense, satisfies the majority of passengers, and also reduces the likelihood of having to spend a lot of valuable resources treating severely ill passengers on board - so where are the downsides of that policy? Hard to find downsides apart from those passengers who simply don't feel like they need to have their own vaccine jabs!

3 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Interesting, as DH (over 70) had a telephone invite but never received a letter.

I am in the over 65 group, but not yet received a letter or a contact (maybe next week or so).

At local (i.e, presenting-the-am-to-the-needle level) things are running very efficiently - but is it going to be hampered by the various systems running at the same time.?

Now it is being widely broadcast that all over 65s and all those with serious underlying health conditions can go online and book both appointments direct - so will people who were not given a date but told they would be contacted for their 2nd jab have problems getting fitted in to the bookings?

About 1.2 million 65-69s have been sent their letters, and another 1.2 million will get theirs this week - so you may be in the second group.