Will Carnival follow suit?

joeyancho

Is there a reason to get the vaccine if I have the Covid antibodies already? Just got my blood test back today and apparently I already had Covid and never even noticed a symptom. I read online that you should, but why is the vaccine going to give me more protection than the antibodies? 

Edited by asalligo
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Is there a reason to get the vaccine if I have the Covid antibodies already? Just got my blood test back today and apparently I already had Covid and never even noticed a symptom. 

Good for you that you had no symptoms. Ask your doctor how long your antibodies might last.

Wonder if you passed the virus on to anyone?    It might not have been a close relationship, could have been a casual interaction somewhere, anywhere and maybe you'd never see that individual again.  You'll probably never know the answer.

6 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Is there a reason to get the vaccine if I have the Covid antibodies already? Just got my blood test back today and apparently I already had Covid and never even noticed a symptom. I read online that you should, but why is the vaccine going to give me more protection than the antibodies? 

One article says "It's true that, once you've had the coronavirus, you have the antibodies that offer protection against getting sick again. But no one knows how long that immunity lasts, so health experts think it's still a good idea to get vaccinated."

But it appears very clear from everything that I am reading that no one is sure about how long the Vaccine provides immunity either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

Yes, as a booster essentially. That said, I don't think people with antibodies should be getting it until the vaccine is widely available.

I was listening to the podcasts Google News plays for me this morning, and a guy from Pfizer was saying they do expect it to be more like the flu where you would get it each year, but due to how contagious COVID is, it needs to be far move effective than the flu shot is to be successful. The obvious goal is to get herd immunity that ultimately leads to the virus dying out.

11 hours ago, evandbob said:

Good for you that you had no symptoms. Ask your doctor how long your antibodies might last.

Wonder if you passed the virus on to anyone?    It might not have been a close relationship, could have been a casual interaction somewhere, anywhere and maybe you'd never see that individual again.  You'll probably never know the answer.

Requires "Close and continual contact."  The CDC's own site explains that contract tracing is limited to those with whom an infected person has been within 6' for 15 minutes or more.  So, no, a casual interaction does not pass it along.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/contact-tracing/contact-tracing-plan/contact-tracing.html

Also, asking the doctor will return an answer of "I don't know" or "Here's my best guess" because it's unknown.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 4:11 PM, kaylahszoo said:

Think about it- COVID is a Virus.  

😄 This kind of statement is why it should be mandated. The general public simply aren't educated enough to make this decision themselves. Nothing against them - I'm not a epidemiologist either. Although I do understand some of the differences between this virus and the flu. 

On 1/21/2021 at 1:04 PM, TNcruising02 said:

My husband and I are waiting our turns for vaccinations.  We just want to travel again.  I haven't been on a plane since last March.  We have chosen not to visit older relatives who live across the country until everyone is vaccinated.  Since vaccinations are something we will do anyway, we are fine if cruise ships and ports require them.  
I have family members with young children and they understand that cruises this year might come with requirements that will not allow them to cruise. I also have family members who are choosing not to get the vaccine and I respect their decisions.  They understand it might temporarily limit their travel.

Anyway, I would prefer vaccine requirements this year to just testing people since testing by itself hasn't worked out so well.

I would prefer that cruise lines require the vaccine, and masks.  Like most people, I don't like wearing masks, but I respect other people and will do what is necessary to protect them and myself.  We had our first vaccine 2 days ago.  No reaction except a sore arm.

On 1/21/2021 at 6:08 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

This definitely would impact me. I'm really hoping a vaccine for kids is approved in the next month or two. I don't see a return to normal cruising (or school for that matter) until everyone who wants to protect themselves can do so with a vaccine. Then the masks can come off and things can return more towards normalcy. Carnival may just wait until vaccines are widely available to everyone and dodge the issue entirely. Those that want the vaccine will get it, those that don't, won't. I expect we'll see a liability protection umbrella once vaccines are plentiful. There will be no need to mandate at that point (individuals will be free to decide and also accept risks) and things will naturally work themselves out.        

I'm hoping that a partially full ship is better than no ship.  That would at least be a start.

Edited by chloe kitty
  • Like 1

What about a person that is told by their doctor, that due to other conditions and medications they are on, they should NOT be vaccinated?  My friend, that is planning to cruise with me falls into that category.  She really wants to go, and in truth, would like the vaccine, but is also trying to listen to her doctor's recommendations.

• Like 1

I am currently in the Pfizer study (since July) with confirmed inoculation and have had my antibodies taken twice. The study last 2 years.  Hopefully we will know how long the vaccine provides protection because those of us in the study will show the reduced antibodies long before the public's vaccination is close to being at risk of not working.

I am healthy and willing to take the risk of possible infection. I still believe that masking and social distancing is important even when you are fully vaccinated.  I only eat at outdoor restaurants, do not gather with those outside my household other than work (PreK teacher), and limit any indoor shopping etc. The real question is whether I can pass along the virus to others and just be asymptomatic?  There is really no way to track that so I will continue to protect others by following CDC guidelines. I would feel more comfortable with the vaccine being required to sail however, I would sail if my family was fully vaccinated. Hopefully December 2021......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2021 at 12:50 AM, chloe kitty said:

I would prefer that cruise lines require the vaccine, and masks.  Like most people, I don't like wearing masks, but I respect other people and will do what is necessary to protect them and myself.  We had our first vaccine 2 days ago.  No reaction except a sore arm.

Most of my teaching colleges did not have a reaction the first time but did have a reaction (low fever, aches, headache) for the second shot.  I had a reaction to the first (horrible headache) but the second only a slightly sore arm.  I do think that 2 doses are important because of this (only anecdotal of course).

56 minutes ago, Gma&Gpa said:

What about a person that is told by their doctor, that due to other conditions and medications they are on, they should NOT be vaccinated?  My friend, that is planning to cruise with me falls into that category.  She really wants to go, and in truth, would like the vaccine, but is also trying to listen to her doctor's recommendations.

I don't think your friend should go against her doctor's advice.  There may be a vaccine coming that she can take.  Maybe we'll have better therapeutics in the future.  Or maybe, just maybe, Carnival (or whatever cruise line) won't require a vaccine after all.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 4:38 PM, jmcancruise said:

We have rescheduled our cruise again, this time from this September to next.  We still can't even cross the border into the U.S. and live just five minutes away.  I expect DH and I will be in line to be vaccinated probably around April or May.  I really don't have a problem having a vaccine mandate.  It certainly could make the whole cruising experience more enjoyable knowing everyone around you has also been vaccinated.  To me cruising is a privilege, not a right and as such I don't feel that I have the right to cruise if I am not prepared to do everything possible to keep everyone on board safe.  Just my thoughts on the matter, I know many will disagree.  Here is hoping we can all cruise again soon.   Stay safe everyone.

You do know that getting the vaccine doesn't prevent you or others from getting Covid, it supposedly only stops you from have a severe case

12 minutes ago, mafiadon said:

You do know that getting the vaccine doesn't prevent you or others from getting Covid, it supposedly only stops you from have a severe case

Could you please site your source?   I have had both doses and have heard so many conflicting stories.  I'm not sure anyone knows for sure.  

7 hours ago, mafiadon said:

7 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Could you please site your source?   I have had both doses and have heard so many conflicting stories.  I'm not sure anyone knows for sure.  

The evidence one way or the other is still being collected and analyzed.  I do not think anyone can state definitively either way just yet.

Data so far has shown that the vaccines are ~95% effective at preventing the subject from getting COVID-19 symptoms if exposed to the associated coronavirus.  And of the 1 in 20 that do get symptoms, they are much more mild, on average, compared to the baseline.

One could extrapolate from that to posit that if your body reacts sufficiently quickly, maybe you never become a carrier.  But no conclusions can be made (yet).  Sample article:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/yes-you-should-still-wear-mask-after-covid-19-vaccination-180977054/

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2021 at 1:15 AM, mafiadon said:

Please post your source.