Word on the street....May is not sailing.

Pcardad

Ah yes we had an email today covering Alaska, Mediterranean, Baltic amongst others. 

And yet another question, who will accept who? And also what will be required?

In our case the UK may require two weeks isolation in a hotel and then when we arrive on our island a further two weeks? Well we’re retired so no problem, but we also provide help with child care and therefore can’t be out of circulation for too long. 

Itching for a cruise though.

On 2/3/2021 at 10:43 AM, mrlevin said:

What does your Canadian Crystal Ball say about trips to Churchill at the end of October?

Thanks to mariners for answering your question as i could have speculated but someone from that province is better. 

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Travel between other provinces has not been  particularly curtailed, nor has travel within provinces.

Our travel in BC has been curtailed. We have been asked not to venture out of our health district. Our premier at 1 point asked for federal assistance in closing our provincial borders but the federal government said no. We have tried to discourage travel from other places but that is pretty tough to do when there are so very many access points.  The other problem is the number of people from other provinces that own homes here in BC and they are living in their own property. You can't just go by license plates as they could have been here since the pandemic started or from the time when restrictions were temporarily lifted. 

36 minutes ago, travlr21 said:

Announcement today that Canadian ports will remain closed until Feb 28, 2022. 😞 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/canada-announces-year-long-ban-most-cruise-ships

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5862/

"Should the COVID-19 pandemic sufficiently improve .................... the minister of transport has the ability to rescind the interim orders"

54 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Our travel in BC has been curtailed. We have been asked not to venture out of our health district. Our premier at 1 point asked for federal assistance in closing our provincial borders but the federal government said no. We have tried to discourage travel from other places but that is pretty tough to do when there are so very many access points.  The other problem is the number of people from other provinces that own homes here in BC and they are living in their own property. You can't just go by license plates as they could have been here since the pandemic started or from the time when restrictions were temporarily lifted. 

Thanks for the information about B.C.  I've heard about the Albertans who want to go to their properties in B.C.  Our big problems here in Ontario are cottages, and snowbirds.  The former isn't much of a problem until spring, when huge numbers of people (me included) will be wanting to go to our summer homes out of the city.  And snowbirds who went south against the government's pleadings and are now faced with draconian measures

implemented mostly to deter March-breakers from going south.  We are snowbirds as well, but stayed home, and I'm so glad we did.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

2 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Anyone have an answer for us? We go fishing in Loughborough, Ontario every summer. We drive from Florida or New Jersey. Does anyone have any insight as to border restrictions?

sheila

The border is currently closed to non essential travel.  The closure is reviewed monthly.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 11:22 AM, Pcardad said:

Look for another round of cancellations this week.

I think you might have been a week early.  Still no chatter on NCL or Oceania boards.  Still no setting of quarterly release dates from RCG or NCLH.  Question now is whether NCLH includes all Canada sailings into this current round of cancellations.

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I suspect strongly that the cruise lines did not know the extent of Canada's cancellation plans...but it doesn't seem to have impacted stock prices.

But my confidence in NCLH management took another hit based on your comment.  

I am now very careful of what I post here as Regent reads these boards and they have contacted me directly based on my comments.  I would hate for anything bad to happen to Regent as I am a big fan; I really do hope that Richard Fain takes over and gives Regent a bit more autonomy.

You should not be basing any decisions on my comment - I am just a peon. Anything I post is my personal opinion...I have been extremely clear on that point in the past and will say it again. I have never and will never post anything other than public knowledge nor do I have any private knowledge that can't be learned on the FaceBook pages.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

True....but why go 13 months? 

and include language that it could be rescinded earlier.  I think one of the Canucks (maybe Holtby?) is going to have to answer that; makes no sense.

Edited by mrlevin

12 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

and include language that it could be rescinded earlier.  I think one of the Canucks (maybe Holtby?) is going to have to answer that; makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense.  Takes it to a point where they don't have to keep moving to the right like with the original CDC No Sail Order which had the same type of language.  In the case of cruising to Canada after October, there aren't sailings until probably May of the next year. so this relieves them of making updates just like the CDC with the latest safe sail order that goes until November.

Seems very much the same as CDC and logical at least to me.

• Like 1

As I stated under another thread about sailing of 2021, ships are really being held hostage. Airlines fly with passengers sitting seat to seat to seat, trains are traveling, buses across the country and in the city, any kind of transportation, yet ships where there can be separation they won’t let sale. Also if we realize that our future cruise credit for a trip coming up in May and June we feel will be canceled, why are we being charged a deposit to hold another cruise with Regent. That just is not fair. We feel like our May and June cruises will not go, so we want to get the accommodations we want for an October cruise, and they’re coming back with a large deposit. Just not fair plus they won’t refund the money after the first first cruise credit. I’m just shocked.

there has to be some spokesman on behalf of cruising. Think how many Land and sea employees are affected. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 4:43 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Anyone have an answer for us? We go fishing in Loughborough, Ontario every summer. We drive from Florida or New Jersey. Does anyone have any insight as to border restrictions?

sheila

It's not looking good for summer travel here, Sheila.  At the moment the federal government is concocting a program whereby any non-essential traveller allowed to enter Canada by air would be forced to have a test less than 72 hours before flying, then pay for 3 days of hotel quarantine, then continue their 14-day quarantine at their homes or available residence.  Trudeau announced this hotel bit without any real plan in mind for implementation.  Snowbirds currently south of the border are furious.  So far it hasn't been applied nor announced for land crossings, but it could be in future.  And that's moot for you anyways because Americans aren't allowed in for leisure travel anyways. 

We are stuck here and not at our place in Florida.  So it works both ways.  We could have gone, even driven, since David is a dual citizen and I could have flown to Detroit and he could have picked me up there.  Or we could have flown and rented a car.  Health issues precluded that, and now I'm glad we stayed home.  

I feel for you--we spend much of our time in summer here in Ontario at our cottage about an  hour north of you, in the Ottawa Valley.  Ontario is truly beautiful in the summer.