The Daily for Monday Feb 1, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone from a breezy but sunny day at the beach.  We were able to do water aerobics this morning but that may be it for a few days. Suppose to  get cold. Not complaining because it is nothing like others parts of the country and I understand it is good for our rivers to have a bout of cold weather.

Our positivity rate is decreasing and our numbers are coming down. I am concerned because the Super Bowl is in Tampa this weekend and the Daytona 500 is the following week.           Stay safe and please wear a mask. Strong warm thoughts for all of you in the path of that storm!

And before we know it, it will be bike week. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, e_brick said:

Rich and fellow cruisers,

In these days of the pandemic and cruises about ready to re-start,

I noticed that the Laundry Lists do not yet have a listing for "Mask" (price?).

Also, the gift shop with sundry items might carry Cruise Line-logo masks.

Trivia Game winning prize of a logo mask? 

Bon Voyage Gift - logo mask 3 for $?

We use washable masks and launder them regularly.

Will be interesting to see the handout coming with your daily news at your cabin on the

first test cruise:  "Mask Wearing Policy of (insert cruise line) and Special Notes From (insert cruise ship).

Welcome to the Daily to you, as well.

Roy

• Like 5

Good morning all, I have to admit to joining the "spunky old broads" gang, and getting broader all the time!   DD is going to make a tortilla soup this evening, I believe (if she doesn't I'll get something out of the freezer.)  I will make some cheese biscuits to go with the soup, I think.

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit!  

Hellebores are blooming here, too, along with the snowdrops and crocus, but it is pretty dreary.  The reservoir has been at 100% for some time.  Hopefully there will be some good news today about vaccines.  We should be in the next group.  

Distressing to hear about a military coup in Myanmar.  Pat was born there, and has returned a few times, I went with him once and bother time on a cruise.  The people are so lovely.   

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

There is so much optimism here this morning, vaccines, spring flowers, improved health for some on the care list, and actual cruise hopes!  Just wish our Canadian friends would be getting vaccines sooner!  Of course, there is still bad weather to worry about for those North and East of here!  Wish our ski areas and high mountains could get at least some of that snow!

Spunky Old Broad is a title I will gladly claim.  It means I am still here and able to stand up for myself and those things I think are right.  I was almost 30 when I married, so I already knew how to take care of myself!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 16

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Just in from shoveling snow; more expected later today and overnight.

Yes to Freedom and Spunky Old Broads (I'll include myself in that), lol.

Leftover carrot soup for dinner with homemade rye bread.

Rabbit!

Another cross country storm is brewing and I'm already worrying about my 2 doctors appointments next week and my first vaccine shot. Fingers crossed. Rabbit!

Prayers to the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

I'll throw in our local eagle cam too (they're being snowed on): http://www.aswp.org/pages/hays-nest 

Be safe, social distance. take care shoveling, and wear your mask!

Screenshot Hays Eagles  2021-02-01 121858.jpg

• Like 16

Rabbit!  Rabbit!  Rabbit!  (I need all of the luck I can get!)

I was called a Mouthy Broad at work for many years, so have no problem with being called a

Spunky Old Broad now.  As a matter of fact, I kind of like the Title.

My friends and I cancelled our transatlantic on the Rotterdam for later this year.  We didn't like the itinerary change.  The refund money posted to our credit cards last Friday.  I got the Updated Confirmation for the 2022 Voyage of the Vikings, too, so things in Seattle must be going a bit smoother.

I hope Everyone on the East Coast stays safe with this lovely snow storm.  It looks rather pretty, but quite a few trees are bending over from the ice.  I imagine we will have power outages and blocked roads shortly.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I too do Christmas villages. Been collecting since 1985. Downsized when we moved from IL to FL. Now have "just" 23' of etageres in one room, 9' in another and 2 12' shelves of a year-round village - not counting a 4' shelf that gets changed out each season.

I'd love to see photos!  I think I've been collecting for about 25 years, but have had to stop buying more buildings, no more room!  That hasn't stopped me from buying more small pieces though. 😉 

• Like 5

Good morning all, especially my fellow Spunky Old Broads! I’m starting to envy Robinson Crusoe, being marooned on a tropical island sounds divine. Unlike Jacqui, I would love to be called abroad, but we aren’t supposed to travel out of the country 😉.

Our government has imposed new conditions on Canadians returning from abroad, and has cancelled direct flights to and from Mexico and the Caribbean. Only four airports in Canada can accept international arrivals, and those arriving must stay in a government quarantine hotel for three days until their Covid tests come back clear. Much of this is to curb the annual spring break party travel. Reports say a number of Canadian who feel,rules don’t apply to them and are currently on tropical vacations are furious that they will be inconvenienced when they drag their new found variants home.
The rain here has been incredible. We had 1 1/2 inches of rain between sunset last night and 8 AM this morning. And it’s forecast to keep on coming!

Welcome to February, and Happy Monday from the elevators of the Amsterdam!
11579B1F-9E13-4648-A6C1-E8BEE8A7B71C.thumb.jpeg.460a6858eccd393f731fe06358187859.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 24

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I am jealous We are a longs way from seeing crocuses or hellebores here.

All the gardens are covered with a blanket of snow. 😉 

I'm sure they are!  My daffodils are up too, but of course not blooming.  With the snow we'll get later this week I don't worry about the crocus and hellebore, but wish the daffodils would slow down 😉  

• Like 9

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Has anyone heard the old wives tale that saying “Rabbit” on the first day of the month brings you good luck for the whole month? I picked that up in my youth, no idea from where.

I had heard to say "white rabbit' on the first of the month. This was from my Irish mother. Not sure of the origin of the saying though. I still say it every month!!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I too laughed out loud at "Spunky Old Broads" and I'm sure Rich was grinning as he posted it. 😉  I'll take spunky any day but don't dare call me an old broad! 😂

I'll join Roy @rafinmdin celebrating Freedom Day a couple weeks after getting my second jab.  Cannot wait until our Feb. 18 appointment.

It's around 45-50F here, but snow is expected on Friday. I know it's still winter, but turning that calendar page over to February always feels good.  The crocus are up and the helllebore is blooming, spring isn't far now!  Last summer I dreaded how long the winter would seem during Covid, but it really hasn't been too awful and has passed faster than I expected.  Keeping busy with puzzles, counted cross stitch, and planning road trips.  Yesterday and the day before I put away our Christmas Village, a job in itself as it takes up 2-3  6-foot tables depending on how much I put out each year.  It takes several weeks to put up, and a couple days to put away.  😄

The dinner sounds good, but we had Sloppy Joes last night (just not on pizza) so I'll take out some chicken for tonight.

Stay safe everyone, we will get through this!

Nice to hear that someone else keeps their Christmas village up for a while.  I do the same.  Mine isn't as extensive as yours sounds.  I only have about 25 pieces that I spread out in several rooms.  I usually put it up before if not over Thanksgiving weekend.  

Stay safe with the winter storm to those of you who are hunkered down for it.  We are just having rain and high winds again for a few days.  Will be snow in the Cascades though.  Good for skiers.

Only our granddaughter here for online school.  Grandson is at school.  Hybrid this week  (they go different days!)  Next week everyone is back.  

Stay well and safe everyone.  Still wear those masks even after getting jabbed!!

Thank you all for such a pleasant way to start the day .

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

Nice to hear that someone else keeps their Christmas village up for a while.  I do the same.  Mine isn't as extensive as yours sounds.  I only have about 25 pieces that I spread out in several rooms.  I usually put it up before if not over Thanksgiving weekend.  

I put ours up right around Thanksgiving too. I hate taking it down because it takes so long to put up.  I have 39 larger buildings (city, houses, country, farm, mountains and seashore), and too many smaller accessories to count LOL.  Our son-in-law says it's a metropolis, not a village. 🤣

For the past few years I've been choosing to put up just parts of it so that makes it a little easier.  This year was the mountain scene and countryside. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning all, I have to admit to joining the "spunky old broads" gang, and getting broader all the time!   DD is going to make a tortilla soup this evening, I believe (if she doesn't I'll get something out of the freezer.)  I will make some cheese biscuits to go with the soup, I think.

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit!  

Hellebores are blooming here, too, along with the snowdrops and crocus, but it is pretty dreary.  The reservoir has been at 100% for some time.  Hopefully there will be some good news today about vaccines.  We should be in the next group.  

Distressing to hear about a military coup in Myanmar.  Pat was born there, and has returned a few times, I went with him once and bother time on a cruise.  The people are so lovely.   

I discovered hellebores in 2018 when we spent February and March in Victoria. Planted some that spring and last spring, 3 years later I was rewarded with the lovely blooms in the picture. It will be a few weeks before they bloom this year even here in the sun parlour of Canada!

9323BAD5-B255-4957-87AF-E82045FEF73A.jpeg

• Like 19

Just now, superoma said:

I discovered hellebores in 2018 when we spent February and March in Victoria. Planted some that spring and last spring, 3 years later I was rewarded with the lovely blooms in the picture. It will be a few weeks before they bloom this year even here in the sun parlour of Canada!

9323BAD5-B255-4957-87AF-E82045FEF73A.jpeg

I have one like that, too (and some white ones).  I had a beautiful yellow one at our old house, I gave some babies to my DS and last year he gave me some seed pods.  I just checked the seeds (in a plastic bag on damp paper towels), and some have sprouted!  I am excited, although it may be a couple of years more before we get flowers.image.jpg.059ea10331bab64cc39b4578b95dff17.jpg

• Like 17

15 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Captain Werner Timmers has been announced as master of the Rotterdam.  He is such a nice man, I'm sure we will have a great time on the premier voyage!

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/ships/ms-rotterdam/holland-america-line-names-captain-werner-timmers-master-of-rotterdam/

Last time when we were on the Koningsdam with you Ann and Pat , Captain Timmers spend so much of his time day in day out in the public and had Q and A sessions . That was so nice ! 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Last time when we were on the Koningsdam with you Ann and Pat , Captain Timmers spend so much of his time day in day out in the public and had Q and A sessions . That was so nice ! 

Yes, and we're hoping he does the same on Rotterdam!😄

Good morning, Tony, nice to see you posting again!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I have one like that, too (and some white ones).  I had a beautiful yellow one at our old house, I gave some babies to my DS and last year he gave me some seed pods.  I just checked the seeds (in a plastic bag on damp paper towels), and some have sprouted!  I am excited, although it may be a couple of years more before we get flowers.image.jpg.059ea10331bab64cc39b4578b95dff17.jpg

Ann these don't look like Hellebores (?)  Is it a different kind?  Beautiful!

• Like 3

I remember back over 20 years ago when I took my first Mediterranean Cruise, when my co-workers had to take some of my phone calls while I was on vacation, they decided to respond to callers asking for me by saying, "She's abroad."  I'm definitely in the spunky, old broad group now, and I'm honored to be here and have earned every bit of it, but oh, what I would give to be abroad!  The eternal optimist in me reassures me that we'll be back there at some point.

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Ann these don't look like Hellebores (?)  Is it a different kind?  Beautiful!

There are many yellow hellebores - I don't know the name of this one, as a friend gave me one of her babies.  I just call it "Sally's yellow".  The seeds are definitely hellebore seeds.

IMG_5172.thumb.JPG.8a0ec38f10d6614a298df9c0fd7423fc.JPG

9 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

I remember back over 20 years ago when I took my first Mediterranean Cruise, when my co-workers had to take some of my phone calls while I was on vacation, they decided to respond to callers asking for me by saying, "She's abroad."  I'm definitely in the spunky, old broad group now, and I'm honored to be here and have earned every bit of it, but oh, what I would give to be abroad!  

Perfect!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Good morning on the first day of a new month!  Has anyone heard the old wives tale that saying “Rabbit” on the first day of the month brings you good luck for the whole month? I picked that up in my youth, no idea from where.

Just had to report back, that this actually works, Kirk!  After just uttering this once this morning, I am now the proud owner of an appointment for my first vaccine jab! I am scheduled for Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.

Thank you so much for sharing this very important info. And perhaps not an old wives tale as much as it is an old spunky broad’s tale!  😎Woo hoo!

• Like 20