Am I crazy!

On 2/9/2021 at 5:52 AM, RFerrington said:

The only purchases I have not yet made are for those in 2022 where the DBP has never been reduced in price.  Maybe they never will.  If they don't come down I will just pay by-the-drink, use my D+ Voom amenity, purchase whatever specialty dining I want and move on.

If you look at the fine print, all of the recent cruise planner sales have only been up until Dec. 31, 2021. Our 2022 CP items haven't budged at all, either. But I expect them to go on sale too, when it is closer. :classic_smile:

On 2/9/2021 at 6:49 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Any thoughts?

If they continue to extend the 125% FCC OBC program for cruise planner purchases then a purchase now could be considered an investment that pays back later. 

• Like 1

We have 2 cruises booked, August 2021 and February 2022. I have FCC from 2 canceled cruises and Future Cruise Planner Credit from those 2 candled cruises.
When I called RCI to find out if I could use some of the Cruise Planner Credit for the UDP, to my surprise it was a very easy transaction. 

Where I messed up, I thought I was booking the UDP to my February 2022 cruise, instead I actually booked it to the August 2021cruise. The only reason I am disappointed that it went for the Aug cruise is I don't think that cruise will actually happen... 

So in answer to the OPs question, Yes, I am still adding stuff in my cruise planner for both cruises. But I am not coming out of pocket for any of it and I won't... Yes, the FCC and FCPC is still money I have paid, but it is not new monies if that makes sense. 

11 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

We have 2 cruises booked, August 2021 and February 2022. I have FCC from 2 canceled cruises and Future Cruise Planner Credit from those 2 candled cruises.
When I called RCI to find out if I could use some of the Cruise Planner Credit for the UDP, to my surprise it was a very easy transaction. 

Where I messed up, I thought I was booking the UDP to my February 2022 cruise, instead I actually booked it to the August 2021cruise. The only reason I am disappointed that it went for the Aug cruise is I don't think that cruise will actually happen... 

So in answer to the OPs question, Yes, I am still adding stuff in my cruise planner for both cruises. But I am not coming out of pocket for any of it and I won't... Yes, the FCC and FCPC is still money I have paid, but it is not new monies if that makes sense. 

I used my own credit card to pay for these items.  I was told that I would get these payments back in the event that the ship didn't sail.  That the payment would be separate from the cruise fare refund or credit.  But as somebody said, I am giving the Royal a no interest loan.  Trying to be optimistic I guess. 

Edited by Cruise a holic

My DH and I have a couple of iffy cruises scheduled on the Oasis.  First- end of May, Second August- 2021.  I will "assume" our January 2022 cruises will be a go.  
I am still looking at items to add to the two cruises.  Just booked a day at cococay beach club for both and some spa appts.  

I have 9 future cruises booked and the only item I purchased was cococay beach club for $46.99 pp as that was a great price.

I learned a couple years ago not to pre-purchase any spa appts as prices are almost always cheaper once on the ship.  They always have sales on ship, as well as discount for a treatment to be done on a port day.

I used to always do prepaid gratuities and purchase travel insurance, but not doing that till I know we are actually sailing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have 9 future cruises booked and the only item I purchased was cococay beach club for $46.99 pp as that was a great price.

I learned a couple years ago not to pre-purchase any spa appts as prices are almost always cheaper once on the ship.  They always have sales on ship, as well as discount for a treatment to be done on a port day.

I used to always do prepaid gratuities and purchase travel insurance, but not doing that till I know we are actually sailing.

Wow beach club for $46.99!  I never saw the price that low!  When available, we also purchase choice air as we do not pay for it until the cruise is "official" and  if not, we just don't pay for it. We don't need insurance for that.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise a holic said:

Wow beach club for $46.99!  I never saw the price that low!

Neither have I so I had to grab it.  It was a sale last August for a May 23rd sailing on Oasis.  I felt confident last august I would be sailing in may.  Now, I highly doubt it. So sad.

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Neither have I so I had to grab it.  It was a sale last August for a May 23rd sailing on Oasis.  I felt confident last august I would be sailing in may.  Now, I highly doubt it. So sad.

Me too.  We were really looking forward to our May 23 sailing-still haven't cancelled, will decide before final payment is due- now hope for August!  

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Me too.  We were really looking forward to our May 23 sailing-still haven't cancelled, will decide before final payment is due- now hope for August!  

Your schedule sounds very familiar.    I am booked for Oasis on 5.23 and right now our next scheduled cruises are for August   My Alaska cruise on Quantum end of June recently got kicked to the curb.    In the very beginning I took a couple FCC's but stopped doing that in June, now I ask for refunds only.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Your schedule sounds very familiar.    I am booked for Oasis on 5.23 and right now our next scheduled cruises are for August   My Alaska cruise on Quantum end of June recently got kicked to the curb.    In the very beginning I took a couple FCC's but stopped doing that in June, now I ask for refunds only.

Hopefully will meet you on board- either in May or August!  Wonder if they will have a cruise critic meeting.

23 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I used my own credit card to pay for these items.  I was told that I would get these payments back in the event that the ship didn't sail.  That the payment would be separate from the cruise fare refund or credit.  But as somebody said, I am giving the Royal a no interest loan.  Trying to be optimistic I guess. 

Anything you purchase in the cruise planner is separate from the cruise fare and is refunded separately.
They gave me the option to refund my cruise planner purchases back to the original payment or take 125% FCPC. 
Since I had 3 more cruises booked at the time, I opted for the 125% credit. Its not much extra, but its something. My TA told me that I can apply any FCPC to any open booking and I will receive it as OBC. If I want to use it for a deposit or even as the cruise fare, it is a bit more complicated but he believes it can be done. 
With the UDP that I purchased last month, I just called the 800# and the RC Rep just asked me for my FCPC certificate numbers and he applied it to within minutes! It was such an easy transaction!! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

Anything you purchase in the cruise planner is separate from the cruise fare and is refunded separately.
They gave me the option to refund my cruise planner purchases back to the original payment or take 125% FCPC. 
Since I had 3 more cruises booked at the time, I opted for the 125% credit. Its not much extra, but its something. My TA told me that I can apply any FCPC to any open booking and I will receive it as OBC. If I want to use it for a deposit or even as the cruise fare, it is a bit more complicated but he believes it can be done. 
With the UDP that I purchased last month, I just called the 800# and the RC Rep just asked me for my FCPC certificate numbers and he applied it to within minutes! It was such an easy transaction!! 

I know about the refunds.  Unfortunately had two previous cruises cancelled.  In fact, the "final" payment for my May cruise is due very soon.  I already have a cancelled Celebrity cruise that I moved to next March.  I may pay the Royal may balance, then move it to August-  It has become a game for me now.  

But a game that I am not yet winning. 

• Haha 1

My DH and I have a couple of iffy cruises scheduled on the Oasis.  First- end of May, Second August- 2021.  I will "assume" our January 2022 cruises will be a go.  
I am still looking at items to add to the two cruises.  Just booked a day at cococay beach club for both and some spa appts.  Also booked a drink package for the May cruise as it was a good sale.

Anybody else still booking extras for cruises scheduled for 2021?  I am doubtful that any cruises will take place- but who knows.  I would sail even if the ship docks in cococay and spends three days at that location- don't need to get off in Florida or Bahama's.

Any thoughts?

2021 is looking like a lost cause for cruising 

On 2/12/2021 at 7:43 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

It's so sad that a year later we are no closer to cruising.  When people said we would be cruising by July 2020 because the summer heat will kill the virus, I knew that would never happen. Then it was by the fall 2020. Then some said they will never cancel the holiday cruises.  Now it's looking more and more like 2022.  I hear advertising for NCL on the radio. I wonder if anyone is even responding to those ads?  They advertise 30% off free drinks for Alaska, Europe and the Caribbean. No mention of what year.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 7:58 PM, SG65CB said:

If they continue to extend the 125% FCC OBC program for cruise planner purchases then a purchase now could be considered an investment that pays back later. 

At this point with no start up in sight they are just selling you Monopoly money.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Garyjames220 said:

Sounds a good way of getting a discounted drinks package 😃

The only problem with the 125% is that the cruise fare for 2022 seems to be higher then the 125% that we will get back for a lift and shift for the same type of cabin/suite.  Also as we age, hopefully we will be in good health.  

16 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

The only problem with the 125% is that the cruise fare for 2022 seems to be higher then the 125% that we will get back for a lift and shift for the same type of cabin/suite.  Also as we age, hopefully we will be in good health.  

Mybe once things do start up we might see better discounts / offers on 2022 cruises 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Garyjames220 said:

Mybe once things do start up we might see better discounts / offers on 2022 cruises 🤷‍♂️

It might take until 2023. Between all the L&S's, FCC's that need to be used, and decreased usable capacity, there may not be a whole lot of usable inventory ro drive prices down in 2022.

By 2023 the FCC's and L&S's will no longer be a factor and more of the ships' capacity may become usable. I don't know if demand will return to pre-covid levels by then so it may be a good year for deals. Those are just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

It might take until 2023. Between all the L&S's, FCC's that need to be used, and decreased usable capacity, there may not be a whole lot of usable inventory ro drive prices down in 2022.

By 2023 the FCC's and L&S's will no longer be a factor and more of the ships' capacity may become usable. I don't know if demand will return to pre-covid levels by then so it may be a good year for deals. Those are just my thoughts.

My thoughts as well. My son received a post card from Carnival. They are offering a free drink package. It was a year ago that he and his wife came home from the Cruise and Disney with covid. I asked him if he was going to book a cruise. He said, "Not even if it was free".

• Thanks 1