Paying in full or stop short of $100 prior to last payment date?

IMKTDQT810

Hello All,

I have a June 2022 cruise booked on the Magic out of Norfolk. I know right now cruises aren't happening with no clue as to when they might resume. I was wondering if you need to be "paid in full" if your cruise gets cancelled to be offered a future credit or if you still have an open balance to be paid (like $100 bucks) do you get a full refund? My total balance due date isn't until March (I think) but I was considering paying it in full when I get my taxes back this year so I don't have to think twice about it. But I read on one thread that if you still have a remaining balance due you should get a full refund. 

I surely hope and pray by the end of this year Cruising would be in full swing so this would be a null question by the time 2022 rolls around...but I have learned you never know sometimes.

What have others currently experienced when it came to paid in full vs. still having an open balance. Thanks! 

We for some reason keep trying to control things that are out of our realm. Show your loyalty and pay the cruises in full. Whatever Carnival decides to do with the funding is out of our control.

As long as we eventually get back to cruising you will always have a paid in full credit via your next cruise. 

Please enjoy the anticipation and we will cruise again!!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

We for some reason keep trying to control things that are out of our realm. Show your loyalty and pay the cruises in full. Whatever Carnival decides to do with the funding is out of our control.

As long as we eventually get back to cruising you will always have a paid in full credit via your next cruise. 

Please enjoy the anticipation and we will cruise again!!!  

I'm somewhat taken aback by this train of thought.   I know how I want to spend my money, and it most certainly doesn't include giving it to someone to use as they see fit.   

• Like 9

4 hours ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

Hello All,

I have a June 2022 cruise booked on the Magic out of Norfolk. I know right now cruises aren't happening with no clue as to when they might resume. I was wondering if you need to be "paid in full" if your cruise gets cancelled to be offered a future credit or if you still have an open balance to be paid (like $100 bucks) do you get a full refund? My total balance due date isn't until March (I think) but I was considering paying it in full when I get my taxes back this year so I don't have to think twice about it. But I read on one thread that if you still have a remaining balance due you should get a full refund. 

I surely hope and pray by the end of this year Cruising would be in full swing so this would be a null question by the time 2022 rolls around...but I have learned you never know sometimes.

What have others currently experienced when it came to paid in full vs. still having an open balance. Thanks! 

I have 2 cruises booked in 2022, I am waiting to the last minute to pay any more than the deposit. 

• Like 3

Your cruise is over a year away.  I personally would take that tax money and put it in a separate bank account and wait until final payment to pay it off.  At this point, we have no idea of when or even if cruising will happening by then.  

When is the last day that you can cancel for a full refund?  Make your decision to either pay it off or cancel then.  You don't have to be paid in full to get your refund of what you have paid.

• Like 1

If a cruise is canceled by carnival and you choose to get the fcc and obc package, can you apply it towards a booking you already have?  Also, my final payment date is Feb 20 will they extend that?  I have 5 cruises booked and really don't want to lay out any more money until ships start sailing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

If a cruise is canceled by carnival and you choose to get the fcc and obc package, can you apply it towards a booking you already have?  Also, my final payment date is Feb 20 will they extend that?  I have 5 cruises booked and really don't want to lay out any more money until ships start sailing.

They have been known to delay final payment, maybe or maybe not until its cancelled. 

You can apply it to another booking if it doesnt already have a canc obc and fcc on it. If it's just a deposit you can apply it I've read, but can only apply one obc from cancellation to a future cruise. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

They have been known to delay final payment, maybe or maybe not until its cancelled. 

You can apply it to another booking if it doesnt already have a canc obc and fcc on it. If it's just a deposit you can apply it I've read, but can only apply one obc from cancellation to a future cruise. 

Thank you for the quick response!

• Like 1

In the current climate I wouldn’t consider paying more down on a 2022 cruise. I suspect your cruise will go, but wouldn’t pay any more on it now. Partially out of the principle of not paying money to a company that can’t deliver the products they are selling. And partially because while I was very confident that the cruise lines could survive this when I thought the shut down would be a year or less. Now that it’s looking like it could go on much longer I am losing confidence that the cruise lines will make it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Your cruise is over a year away.  I personally would take that tax money and put it in a separate bank account and wait until final payment to pay it off.  At this point, we have no idea of when or even if cruising will happening by then.  

When is the last day that you can cancel for a full refund?  Make your decision to either pay it off or cancel then.  You don't have to be paid in full to get your refund of what you have paid.

The final payment due is March 27, 2022. I also bought Travel Protection incase cruising gets back on track but something happens on our side. 

We are cruising Alaska in 2022. We paid the deposit, and that's it. The rest of the money, we are putting in a separate account at our bank, monthly, just like we would if we were financing it through Carnival. We will use that money to make our final payment. If it is cancelled, we have the money to book a future cruise, again, if needed. Hoping August 2022 goes off without a hitch!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MsOne said:

I also wonder if someone who hasn't paid in full will get the FCC and $600 OBC offer. Hopefully someone who has been in that position will chime in.

You mean if someone has only put a deposit on a cruise that they would get a FCC for the deposit and an additional 600 in OBC from Carnival?  Don't think it has happened yet since Carnival is not going to cancel a particular sailing before final payment is due. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

You mean if someone has only put a deposit on a cruise that they would get a FCC for the deposit and an additional 600 in OBC from Carnival?  Don't think it has happened yet since Carnival is not going to cancel a particular sailing before final payment is due. 

Our February 20, 2021 Mardi Gras final payment was due December 7, 2020.  It was cancelled on December 3, 2020, four days before final payment.  We had not made final payment and we were offered the FCC and the $600.  By the way, we took the refund not knowing when cruising would be back to "normal".

Edited by RWolver672
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Our February 20, 2021 Mardi Gras final payment was due December 7, 2020.  It was cancelled on December 3, 2020, four days before final payment.  We had not made final payment and we were offered the FCC and the $600.  By the way, we took the refund not knowing when cruising would be back to "normal".

There's a first time for everything.  Many people on multiple cruise line boards wish they were in your situation so they could have gotten their refund.  Too many people book with non refundable deposits and because of this they're stuck because they do not want to cancel and lose money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Carnival recently canceled the entire European season for the Legend.    I was offered the $600 OBC in order to transfer the deposit from my August 2021 cruise to a future cruise.  I chose the same itinerary on the Pride in 2022.  Final payment would have have been due until May.    I also could have taken a refund, as I booked with a refundable deposit.  

So, yes, sometimes they do cancel before final payment and in my case, the OBC was offered.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

There's a first time for everything.  Many people on multiple cruise line boards wish they were in your situation so they could have gotten their refund.  Too many people book with non refundable deposits and because of this they're stuck because they do not want to cancel and lose money.

We were relieved when they did cancel it.  We had a non refundable deposit and would have stood to lose $463 if we cancelled because we had paid $500 on top of the deposit.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

We were relieved when they did cancel it.  We had a non refundable deposit and would have stood to lose $463 if we cancelled because we had paid $500 on top of the deposit.

Glad to see it worked out for you Dick.  That's the peril of booking with NRD's.  The cruise lines like to push them because many times people's plans change for whatever reason and they end up giving the cruise lines free money.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

Carnival recently canceled the entire European season for the Legend........So, yes, sometimes they do cancel before final payment and in my case, the OBC was offered.  

Your situation was unique because Carnival wiped out the entire season.  The same will probably become reality for Alaska this year unless the US passes a temporary order eliminating the foreign port requirement.  It would be nice so that the many ports that depend on tourism would not have another season wiped out.

The one good thing about your future cruise being switched from the Legend to the Pride is that it's the same class of ship so comparable cabins should be an easy switch for the most part.  When a specific type of cabin is reserved that is no longer available because of a ship class switch, that's when things can become sticky. 

I have had five cruises cancel during the pandemic.  All before final pay.  We always got the FCC for the deposit and the $600 OBC.  Earlier in the year they were requiring us to pay a new deposit instead of applying the canceled cruise deposit to the new booking.  This last go around they applied so we didn't have to put any more money down.  I'm keeping the faith and a whole lot of patience!

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 5:32 PM, ULCajunCruiser said:

I'm somewhat taken aback by this train of thought.   I know how I want to spend my money, and it most certainly doesn't include giving it to someone to use as they see fit.   

How do we expect businesses (whether multi billion or the neighborhood) to remain afloat without our support? When I am totally "loyal" it means "totally" loyal not just when it's convenient or fashionable. 

I hope my fully paid monies helps them stay afloat.