Princess 2022-2023

GUT2407

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

My favorite smaller ships have all been refurbished to make more staterooms at the expense of getting rid of the wrap around promenade deck.  The Island, Sapphire and Coral to name a few.  To cruise on smaller ships now for americans,  it is taking the more expensive Viking and Crystal and Regent ship . The prices of Princess cruises has risen quite a bit for when they get started again and really not sure if we won't be finding other trips to replace cruising..

We find Caribbean itinerary trips to just sail.  Hardly, get off anymore since we have been to the islands so many times.  We usually just sit around the pool or take a taxi to one of our favorite beaches, on port days.  I read that now  we may have to take ship tours to get off at ports.  We were hoping to continue taking cruises in the Caribbean as we get older to just be out in the ocean. 

Our last big "adventurous" cruise and land vacation was suppose to be our 6 week NZ/Fiji/ Australia trip. We've been lucky to see most of what we have wanted to see over the years. Relaxing on a cruise ship with 5000 "friends" just not what we want.

Been on both island and coral, alaska and panama canal, island is butchered, coral is fine, so far, they learnt their lesson Brandee.

Like having you on here Brandee, breath of fresh air and different perspective.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, GUT2407 said:

Whilst I would love to do a W/C there would be a few issues

1. Travel Insurance

2. Some of the medications I am on are, let’s just say, frowned upon in many countries

3. And most importantly I can’t be away from Maxy for that long.

What about the 100k, mate, maxxie would be on Aldi food, lol.

22 hours ago, badgerbill said:

With all due respect Les, and I have always shown you respect, please don't put me down because i think it's a reasonable price for a product that suits our needs and wants , obviously compared to the giveaway price you paid for the  half worldie you did it's pricey but  that was  a freak once in a lifetime price...  All that matters is for us it has a great itinerary and the pricing fits our disposable savings....and all going well we are going to bloody well enjoy ourselves.

If I have offended you, apologies, but I speak my mind, you know that.

I have been reported a couple of times by other posters, recently. Perhaps it is time I left the building, a la Elvis, if I have ruffled feathers.

Sapphire and others of that class never did have the wrap around promenade. I always wondered if that was because the forward part was needed for anchoring gear. It always seemed a bit cramped on the Sun class ships. 

I thought I'd read that Coral hasn't been modified, only Island.

The design of the Royal class ships is awful. The only good thing they did was move the photo section to deck 6. I think Princess seriously underestimated how popular the promenades are.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

That doesn't sound like fun. Even worse if social distancing is enforced.😷

There is no way they would be able to have that number of passengers on that ship under social distancing rules. It just wouldn't work.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sapphire and others of that class never did have the wrap around promenade. I always wondered if that was because the forward part was needed for anchoring gear. It always seemed a bit cramped on the Sun class ships. 

I thought I'd read that Coral hasn't been modified, only Island.

The design of the Royal class ships is awful. The only good thing they did was move the photo section to deck 6. I think Princess seriously underestimated how popular the promenades are.

We were on Sapphire in 2018, baltics and scandinavia. Yes sapphire has a corridor just short of chain locker and anchor area, but still walk around, still a good ship. Coral is still good, walk around  prom deck . Island not so, been on both.

Edited by NSWP

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

If I have offended you, apologies, but I speak my mind, you know that.

I have been reported a couple of times by other posters, recently. Perhaps it is time I left the building, a la Elvis, if I have ruffled feathers.

Don't you dare leave, Les. I don't always agree with what you say but I value your input on this forum. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We were on Sapphire in 2018, baltics and scandinavia. Yes sapphire has a corridor just short of chain locker and anchor area, but still walk around, still a good ship. Coral is still good, walk around  prom deck . Island not so, been on both.

I don't think Diamond had the forward corridor and she's the identical twin to Sapphire. I'm fairly sure we had to turn around and walk back the other way - I refuse to go up to the next deck as I slipped and nearly fell coming down the steps on Golden, and that was on a fine, dry day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Nah. Les. You can't leave. We all have our ups and downs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't think Diamond had the forward corridor and she's the identical twin to Sapphire. I'm fairly sure we had to turn around and walk back the other way - I refuse to go up to the next deck as I slipped and nearly fell coming down the steps on Golden, and that was on a fine, dry day.

Yes you are correct Julie. On the Diamond, we would walk to the stairs and turn round and walk back around to the stairs on the other side. The same on the Golden. 

Leigh

15 hours ago, NSWP said:

Been on both island and coral, alaska and panama canal, island is butchered, coral is fine, so far, they learnt their lesson Brandee.

Like having you on here Brandee, breath of fresh air and different perspective.

Well thank you Les.  I enjoy the conversation and the company! 

My first cruising was the Oceanic..Home Line (Italian crew)  back in the early 80's.  She was a classic and hooked me on the sea!!  (and the waiters were to die for)  Next best ship was the Regal Princess..the 1990 edition.  Her dark wood rails and walls, made be feel like I was living like the "rich people".  LOL

35 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Well thank you Les.  I enjoy the conversation and the company! 

My first cruising was the Oceanic..Home Line (Italian crew)  back in the early 80's.  She was a classic and hooked me on the sea!!  (and the waiters were to die for)  Next best ship was the Regal Princess..the 1990 edition.  Her dark wood rails and walls, made be feel like I was living like the "rich people".  LOL

The olde Regal was a great ship, just the right size IMO. In August/Sept 2007, my wife and I did her last cruise as Regal, LA to Sydney. She then went to Singapore for refit as Pacific Dawn. We hit 12 metre seas for 24 hrs after leaving Dunedin, NZ, but the ship handled it well, a great Master, Capt Andrew Froude. Albeit bit of damage on bow and top decks. Yes she was well fitted out, I often wonder what happened to her bronze Bengal Tiger in the Bengal Lounge?

574445380_0154_23.06BengalLoungedeck7P4230161.jpg.cc7665b6a6303a0ff957698a5db945f5.jpg.fd3e6fe7e3bee5a03b941260db09cd74.jpg

21779725982_fdc5dfcb8d_k.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Melted down? 🤔☹️

Would be worth something if it got to India. I think it was on Pacific Dawn for a while. Surely Carnival Corp has it somewhere? Perhaps on the new Regal Princess? 

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The olde Regal was a great ship, just the right size IMO. In August/Sept 2007, my wife and I did her last cruise as Regal, LA to Sydney. She then went to Singapore for refit as Pacific Dawn. We hit 12 metre seas for 24 hrs after leaving Dunedin, NZ, but the ship handled it well, a great Master, Capt Andrew Froude. Albeit bit of damage on bow and top decks. Yes she was well fitted out, I often wonder what happened to her bronze Bengal Tiger in the Bengal Lounge?

574445380_0154_23.06BengalLoungedeck7P4230161.jpg.cc7665b6a6303a0ff957698a5db945f5.jpg.fd3e6fe7e3bee5a03b941260db09cd74.jpg

We don't know what has happened to the tiger since P&O sold the Pacific Dawn. Maybe Carnival Corp kept the tiger when they sold the ship. The re-named Pacific Dawn is probably headed to the wreckers beach now that the Panama City plan has fallen though. If the tiger was still on board when these owners got the ship, maybe they removed anything that would be of value - like the tiger.

Edited by Aus Traveller

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The tiger was on the Pacific Dawn for 13 years (2007 to 2020).

As I thought, where is tiger now? Have to check it out. ##It appears bengal tiger is on Pacific Explorer.

Global Travel Media » Blog Archive » P&O Cruises_ famous tiger spotted onboard flagship Pacific Explorer.html

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

As I thought, where is tiger now? Have to check it out.

I have found the answer to Les' question on the present whereabouts of the bronze tiger. It has been installed on P&O's Pacific Explorer. Here is the information:

The much-loved feature was originally purchased in an antiques store and made her debut on Regal Princess.

A ‘fan favourite’, the tiger remained on the ship when Pacific Dawn joined the P&O fleet in 2009.

The tiger spent many years in Pacific Dawn’s Bengal Bar until the venue was refurbished and she was moved to the Dome.

P&O Cruises President Sture Myrmell had always thought the tiger would be a perfect addition to Pacific Explorer’s Black Circus venue.

“Having spent 10 years cruising in and out of Brisbane, the tiger is well known to our Queensland guests,” Mr Myrmell said.

“When Pacific Explorer relocates to Brisbane later this year, she will be a familiar feature to many.”

The tiger is now one of the first features guests will see when they walk into Black Circus.

Pacific Explorer will depart Sydney on a three-night Comedy Cruise on October 16, 2020 before arriving in Brisbane on October 18 to begin her maiden season in Queensland with a six-night Barrier Reef Discovery.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have found the answer to Les' question on the present whereabouts of the bronze tiger. It has been installed on P&O's Pacific Explorer. Here is the information:

The much-loved feature was originally purchased in an antiques store and made her debut on Regal Princess.

A ‘fan favourite’, the tiger remained on the ship when Pacific Dawn joined the P&O fleet in 2009.

The tiger spent many years in Pacific Dawn’s Bengal Bar until the venue was refurbished and she was moved to the Dome.

P&O Cruises President Sture Myrmell had always thought the tiger would be a perfect addition to Pacific Explorer’s Black Circus venue.

“Having spent 10 years cruising in and out of Brisbane, the tiger is well known to our Queensland guests,” Mr Myrmell said.

“When Pacific Explorer relocates to Brisbane later this year, she will be a familiar feature to many.”

The tiger is now one of the first features guests will see when they walk into Black Circus.

Pacific Explorer will depart Sydney on a three-night Comedy Cruise on October 16, 2020 before arriving in Brisbane on October 18 to begin her maiden season in Queensland with a six-night Barrier Reef Discovery.

Well done finding out. Uncle Les will have to travel to Brisvegas for a cruise on Pacific Explorer to see his beloved tiger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Well done finding out. Uncle Les will have to travel to Brisvegas for a cruise on Pacific Explorer to see his beloved tiger.

No thanks, not on P and O Straya. Not my style. I was on her years ago as Dawn Princess. Carnival Corp should put Tiger back on a Princess ship, whack it on Coral Princess.

• Like 1