Ships and stabilizers

zitsky

21 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Aft! Great views but there was issues with soot from the stacks. 

Had an aft cabin once on Solstice, the views were great but the balcony was unusable a lot of the time due to soot. Put us off booking aft again.

If there is motion to be felt, there will be more motion fore or aft - it is strictly physics.  

That said, I am very prone to motion sickness but have booked aft cabins a number of times - particularly on M class ships where we like the AQ cabins on Deck 11.  With prevention measures (meclizine, ginger, wristbands) it is generally not a problem.  The motion bothers me much more up at the front of the ship.  At the aft, you will sometimes experience some side to side shaking as well which may or may not bother you.  I have found the S class ships to handle motion better than the M class, but it really all depends on the seas and the winds on any given day.

20 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

If there is motion to be felt, there will be more motion fore or aft - it is strictly physics.  

That said, I am very prone to motion sickness but have booked aft cabins a number of times - particularly on M class ships where we like the AQ cabins on Deck 11.  With prevention measures (meclizine, ginger, wristbands) it is generally not a problem.  The motion bothers me much more up at the front of the ship.  At the aft, you will sometimes experience some side to side shaking as well which may or may not bother you.  I have found the S class ships to handle motion better than the M class, but it really all depends on the seas and the winds on any given day.

Both us take meclizine and that helps.  

Except for our cruise on the Edge, we are always in a corner aft Sky Suite 1.  You will feel more motion than in a cabin mid ship but less than in a forward cabin.  Agree with ECCruise that the middle of the ship (halfway between bow and stern and the middle of the decks) has the least amount of motion.  Having said that, we had a forward cabin on Celebrity's new ship Edge and did not feel any motion.

When my late wife and I first started cruising we went for OVs foreward for our first seven (oddly they were all port side). We liked the rocking motion which put us to sleep - no probs. And we liked watching the bow waves passing high over our window in heavy seas. The novelty eventually wore off and I now don't worry where my cabin is so long as it's quiet and not inside.

Do others see it this way?

9 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

A lot of stuff here, one thing I saw was several comments on soot affecting aft cabin balconies, is that recent, because I thought they added stuff several years ago that stopped that from happening.

Scrubbers were introduced a number of years ago and resulted in a significant reduction of soot. While not completely eliminated, it no longer poses the problem for passengers that it once did.

This article on scrubbers and their impact on marine wildlife is worth reading: https://wwf.ca/stories/scrubbers-creates-new-pollution/

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Scrubbers were introduced a number of years ago and resulted in a significant reduction of soot. While not completely eliminated, it no longer poses the problem for passengers that it once did.

This article on scrubbers and their impact on marine wildlife is worth reading: https://wwf.ca/stories/scrubbers-creates-new-pollution/

Thanks, I thought that was true.  One of the biggest problems with cruise forums is that you get out of date info because every part of cruising is under constant change.  I've noticed it from when I started doing research for my first cruise!  You really have to be careful with info on these forums.

• Like 1