What to change in the "new" Azamara?

oddjob16

The speciailty menus must be changed more often. 

As cruisers,wh in 10 years have sailed more than 20 times we need more changes. We prefer those restaurants as the noise levels suit my husband who has 2 hearing aids better. I have requested items off the MDR menu or only had a couple of courses. More changes and daily specials would be GREAT

• Like 2

I agree, more specials based on local foods would be great.  They have been better at adding these in recent years but could do more.  They also need to get quicker at training chefs to bring in new menus- it seems to take too long with testing and flying one person round to teach everyone.  Maybe new acceptance of remote training that is happening everywhere will allow quicker roll out of a variety of dishes,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, manc said:

The speciailty menus must be changed more often. 

As cruisers,wh in 10 years have sailed more than 20 times we need more changes. We prefer those restaurants as the noise levels suit my husband who has 2 hearing aids better. I have requested items off the MDR menu or only had a couple of courses. More changes and daily specials would be GREAT

+ 1

• 1 month later...

I didn't have any problem with the quality of the food in the MDR but the menu repeat every 7 days became tedious. There were a lot of B2B2B cruisers for our Croatia cruises and by day 14 we knew what to expect for the rest of the week.  We did opt to eat in other venues a lot of the time but others did not want to eat anywhere else. The best nights in the MDR were on White night so we would often eat in the MDR then join the party. 

50 minutes ago, kydems said:

I didn't have any problem with the quality of the food in the MDR but the menu repeat every 7 days became tedious. There were a lot of B2B2B cruisers for our Croatia cruises and by day 14 we knew what to expect for the rest of the week.  We did opt to eat in other venues a lot of the time but others did not want to eat anywhere else. The best nights in the MDR were on White night so we would often eat in the MDR then join the party. 

I've done some long stints on Azamara, sometimes 60 days. I will eat in the MDR a few times because I too don't have an issue with it. I check the menu in the morning and if it's something I particularly like then will likely dine there. I take your point about the repeating menu, but each of those menus usually has a number of items I like. 

These days more than ever before I really mix up my dining. I don't feel I have to sit in the dining room.  I'm quite happy to eat in the buffet at one of the theme nights, some of which I really enjoy. In fact on occasions I prefer it to the MDR because I can eat more tapas style. I love eating outside too. Then of course there are Specialties which I'll visit once or twice a cruise.  And I've done room service on the balcony too!

For me it's all good. Not fantastic (like I experienced on Windstar that was truly exceptional), but just fine for me. 

Phil 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I've done some long stints on Azamara, sometimes 60 days. I will eat in the MDR a few times because I too don't have an issue with it. I check the menu in the morning and if it's something I particularly like then will likely dine there. I take your point about the repeating menu, but each of those menus usually has a number of items I like. 

These days more than ever before I really mix up my dining. I don't feel I have to sit in the dining room.  I'm quite happy to eat in the buffet at one of the theme nights, some of which I really enjoy. In fact on occasions I prefer it to the MDR because I can eat more tapas style. I love eating outside too. Then of course there are Specialties which I'll visit once or twice a cruise.  And I've done room service on the balcony too!

For me it's all good. Not fantastic (like I experienced on Windstar that was truly exceptional), but just fine for me. 

Phil 

Don't forget the Patio - when we enjoy including it in the mix.  We have done b2b2b - I think our longest stint onboard was also around 60 days.  We had favourite menus in the MDR when we struggled to choose so we would go to the MDR whenever that menu is on, then beyond that vary between an MDR menu we had not already had, the buffet, both specialities, the Patio and nothing..... yes nothing but tapas in the Living Room before 8 and stop at that - after a while if you are a serial cruiser, your guts need a night off........

• Like 6

Just now, uktog said:

Don't forget the Patio - when we enjoy including it in the mix.  We have done b2b2b - I think our longest stint onboard was also around 60 days.  We had favourite menus in the MDR when we struggled to choose so we would go to the MDR whenever that menu is on, then beyond that vary between an MDR menu we had not already had, the buffet, both specialities, the Patio and nothing..... yes nothing but tapas in the Living Room before 8 and stop at that - after a while if you are a serial cruiser, your guts need a night off........

Thanks. Yes, I'd forgotten The Patio and it's only been 15 months away from an Azamara ship!  Love it there too. 

Phil 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kydems said:

If I am not mistaken the MDR menu rotates every 14 days

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oddjob16 said:

If I am not mistaken the MDR menu rotates every 14 days

Theres actually 16 MDR menus, however even when we were on a 20 night cruise, they managed to create different menus for each night although there were items appearing again from earlier menus.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 5:45 AM, marinaro44 said:

Yes.  Seems unfair to compare menu changes on b2b 7-day cruises to those on a single 14-day cruise.

Normally I would agree with you but this time some of the cruises were longer than 7 days and there was a significant number of passengers on the 3 B2B2B.

37 minutes ago, kydems said:

Normally I would agree with you but this time some of the cruises were longer than 7 days and there was a significant number of passengers on the 3 B2B2B.

I'll be accused of always being cosy to Azamara and defending them, but honestly in all my cruises I've never found this to be an issue. And I've done a couple of six cruises on the bounce and a few b2b2bs.

I think I said earlier that I like to mix up my dining and move around the ship as I feel. This is one of the biggest pluses for me on Azamara. There is no need for me to plan (like I have to on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity for instance) and I love this aspect of dining. If there is a repeat evening in the MDR with a menu I like I might go more than once. Otherwise I will usually find another option 

I know that food is subjective, but it's the overall easy going nature of dining in the evening that I like, not that I have to have a different choice of what to eat in the MDR on every night of a 21 night cruise. 

Phil 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I know that food is subjective, but it's the overall easy going nature of dining in the evening that I like, not that I have to have a different choice of what to eat in the MDR on every night of a 21 night cruise. 

I have to agree with this: flexible venues for dinner is most important to me.  A repeated menu simply means I get to choose that other meal that I didn't try the first time.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mchell810 said:

I have to agree with this: flexible venues for dinner is most important to me.  A repeated menu simply means I get to choose that other meal that I didn't try the first time.

And really, if a menu is repeated, won't there be options that haven't been tried yet?? 

• Like 3

This discussion does alert me to an issue I hadn't thought of:  when a cruise line has a list of menus, they probably put the top 2 or 3 in the first group of seven so that shorter cruises have a good dining experience.  On a longer cruise, they may shuffle the order because you're going to get all (say) 14.  But on a series of B2Bs, you are going to see the first 7 menus over and over.  That's what I would expect if I were booking one of the 7 day segments.  But it may get repetitious for the B2Bers.  [Good idea to reserve some OBC for specialty restaurants!]

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This discussion does alert me to an issue I hadn't thought of:  when a cruise line has a list of menus, they probably put the top 2 or 3 in the first group of seven so that shorter cruises have a good dining experience.  On a longer cruise, they may shuffle the order because you're going to get all (say) 14.  But on a series of B2Bs, you are going to see the first 7 menus over and over.  That's what I would expect if I were booking one of the 7 day segments.  But it may get repetitious for the B2Bers.  [Good idea to reserve some OBC for specialty restaurants!]

From my experience they don't do that.  They had each menu numbered and they came out in rotation. This also helps the kitchen organisation  As I said I've never found it an issue. 

Phil 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

From my experience like Phil, several b2b2bs alternating with longer cruises on Azamara absolutely not true.  It varies due to local produce, sequence of Evening buffets (as one item is also added as a special in MDR reflecting that buffet theme and they make sure the menu still has a good red meat white meat fish balance).  And as they sell itineraries that are specifically aimed at b2b and b2b2b they are sensitive to the issue on back to back guests.

And I’m not sure how you define good - one persons good is another’s bad, however if you want to be cynical you’d put your best menu on last so that the lasting memory and evaluation is good.

Your post is in my experience more pertinent on the Celebrity board than here, I certainly experienced more symmetrical repetition there.  

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

Well, I’m confused (which isn’t unusual!).  And I think this is an important topic for newbies and those (like me) who are trying to understand the Azamara practice in light of our experience on other cruise lines.  [Indeed, my comment was based on Celebrity and the explanation that I received from an exec. chef there.]

@excitedofharpendenseems to be ratifying @kydems' comment about the fixed rotation of menus, while @uktog is stressing the variation that Azamara executive chefs are able to work into that. 

Hopefully you’re both looking at different aspects of the same policy, which if done right can be the best of both worlds:  predictable menu structure for those who like to plan ahead, with daily variation based on local sources and theme nights to keep it fresh.  I’m assuming that is what Azamara achieves – as we experienced in Norway when the crew spent the day fishing and the captain send a tender to the famous local farm for fresh berries.

Going back to the initial question of this thread:  what to change in the ‘new’ Azamara?  I hope that as they free themselves from RCG’s rigid Miami-based provisioning system that they don’t just replicate it (without the cost benefits of massive scale), but use it only for those staples that are best sourced this way – and that they increase the use of local purveyors and the authority of the onboard officers to take advantage of fresh local provisions and vary the menus.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 12:56 AM, ellbon said:

Somehow NCL has that market and it begins and  ends there.seven day cruise. Not sure how but been doing for years. So there is a loophole.

'The American Pride is the only major US flagged cruise ship'.

Notice she also goes to the US for shipyard availabilities.  Currently in Portland OR.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Well, I’m confused (which isn’t unusual!).  And I think this is an important topic for newbies and those (like me) who are trying to understand the Azamara practice in light of our experience on other cruise lines.  [Indeed, my comment was based on Celebrity and the explanation that I received from an exec. chef there.]

@excitedofharpendenseems to be ratifying @kydems' comment about the fixed rotation of menus, while @uktog is stressing the variation that Azamara executive chefs are able to work into that. 

Hopefully you’re both looking at different aspects of the same policy, which if done right can be the best of both worlds:  predictable menu structure for those who like to plan ahead, with daily variation based on local sources and theme nights to keep it fresh.  I’m assuming that is what Azamara achieves – as we experienced in Norway when the crew spent the day fishing and the captain send a tender to the famous local farm for fresh berries.

Going back to the initial question of this thread:  what to change in the ‘new’ Azamara?  I hope that as they free themselves from RCG’s rigid Miami-based provisioning system that they don’t just replicate it (without the cost benefits of massive scale), but use it only for those staples that are best sourced this way – and that they increase the use of local purveyors and the authority of the onboard officers to take advantage of fresh local provisions and vary the menus.

Personally I think you are stressing about this subject and concerning new cruisers unnecessarily. Besides the fact that very few of them are going to be doing b2b2bs. 

I see no reason at all why they won't continue the local produce theme. I know this is very popular and one of the things Azamara do very well and use it as a marketing tool. 

Phil 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Personally I think you are stressing about this subject and concerning new cruisers unnecessarily. Besides the fact that very few of them are going to be doing b2b2bs. 

I see no reason at all why they won't continue the local produce theme. I know this is very popular and one of the things Azamara do very well and use it as a marketing tool. 

Phil 

Exactly- and given how many choices there are on the menu - the always available, the menu of that day, the additional item added to reflect the theme of the buffet AND an “old favourite from previous menus” chef’s special there is no problem.  You also never get the same theme and old favourite added to the same menu two cruises running. 

In one of the interviews when there was the change in ownership the COO emphasised they would be continuing to use local sourced items. That level of local sourcing increased significantly in 2019 - on a cruise I was on we had fresh mozzarella from sorrento local wine for white night from France and amazing cannoli from Sicily.  

Agree let’s not sow concerns unnecessarily for new and returning cruisers. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, uktog said:

That level of local sourcing increased significantly in 2019 - on a cruise I was on we had fresh mozzarella from sorrento local wine for white night from France and amazing cannoli from Sicily.  

That must have been such a treat!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

That must have been such a treat!!

It was - I had never been a fan of cannoli until that night!  I also discovered the range of mozzarellas you could get I had only seen one type (white and round 🙂 ) up to then.