What stays the same and what changes during B2B?

pompeii

I'm looking at my options in booking one long vs two or more shorter segments b2b for 2022.  I think I generally get how changing cabins, if necessary, will work.  Even if I split it up, the main segment would not be less than 16 days so obc amounts would only increase.  So losing obc is not a concern.   But I'm wondering what else to consider?

1. What about mdr table assignments?  Can I get the same table/waitstaff from one segment to the next, or would that require a visit to the maitre d'?  Or would we just be assigned a new table for each?

2. My on board account and obc would carry over between segments, correct?  How about unused internet minutes?

3.  We would get a fresh mini-bar for each segment, no?  Can you still trade a mini-bar for a coffee package?

4. On turnaround days, do we have to hang around in the morning to handle "re-boarding" the ship or can we treat it like any port day and go out exploring and just be back before whatever the deadline is for arriving passengers?

5.  Anything else I'm not thinking of, either plus or minus?

Thanks all!

11 minutes ago, pompeii said:

I'm looking at my options in booking one long vs two or more shorter segments b2b for 2022.  I think I generally get how changing cabins, if necessary, will work.  Even if I split it up, the main segment would not be less than 16 days so obc amounts would only increase.  So losing obc is not a concern.   But I'm wondering what else to consider?

1. What about mdr table assignments?  Can I get the same table/waitstaff from one segment to the next, or would that require a visit to the maitre d'?  Or would we just be assigned a new table for each? See the maitre d' or head waiter before the end of the first segment to request the same table IF you want to keep it after you've gotten to know your wait staff.

2. My on board account and obc would carry over between segments, correct?  How about unused internet minutes? Usually they carry over. See the internet manager if they don't .

3.  We would get a fresh mini-bar for each segment, no? Yes.

Can you still trade a mini-bar for a coffee package? Yes.

4. On turnaround days, do we have to hang around in the morning to handle "re-boarding" the ship or can we treat it like any port day and go out exploring and just be back before whatever the deadline is for arriving passengers? Stay or explore, it's your choice.

Thanks all!

#5 You pretty much covered got it all.

1 hour ago, pompeii said:

1. What about mdr table assignments?  Can I get the same table/waitstaff from one segment to the next, or would that require a visit to the maitre d'?  Or would we just be assigned a new table for each?

You would have to speak with the Maitre'd and ask. Wait staffs do rotate. Yours may or may not be assigned to your table, may not even be on the ship. The last time, 2016,  we used traditional fixed seating on a turn around day the maitre'd assigned us to a different table.

2. My on board account and obc would carry over between segments, correct?  How about unused internet minutes?

In the past yes on the OBC. In the past unused free platinum internet minutes carried over. Once they were totally used then you probably have to go to the internet manager to obtain your new minutes. If you book using the Best Sale Ever promo or another promo that provides unlimited internet access, then you have no issue with minutes.

3.  We would get a fresh mini-bar for each segment, no?  Can you still trade a mini-bar for a coffee package?

We have always received a new mini bar, and yes you can trade for the coffee package. Suggest you call room service  on the last day of the 1st cruise to ask for the coffee package on the 2nd cruise. Again if you book the Best Sale Ever no need for a coffee package.

4. On turnaround days, do we have to hang around in the morning to handle "re-boarding" the ship or can we treat it like any port day and go out exploring and just be back before whatever the deadline is for arriving passengers?

You will receive instructions in your cabin. Read and follow them exactly. If your turn around is at a U.S. port you will have to go through immigration. You will have two options. Report to a location on the ship at the time and place indicated in the letter. Bring your passports, medallions and intransit cards with you. You will be lead off the ship in a group, through immigration and then back onto the ship. If you want to go ashore then you can disembark anytime after disembarkation has begun up to final call. Again bring your passports, medallions and intransit cards with you. You can re-embark any time after general boarding has begun. You will have to go through security and there may be covid protocols.

If your turn around is in a country other than the U.S. it will be just like any other port day. But, again there may be covid protocols.

If you are remaining in the same cabin leave all your belongings there just like any other day. Your cabin steward will service your cabin just like is done on a non turn around day. We generally inform the steward that they can clean our cabin last so they can concentrate on new arrivals.

If you are changing cabins then a) speak with your cabin steward in advance, b) leave as much on hangers in your closet as possible, c) place loose items in your suitcases, d)empty your safe and carry valuables with you, e)speak with your new cabin steward.

On turn around day your cabin stewards will arrange to move your belongings to your new cabin. Items on hangers will be hung in your new cabin. You may be able to move some items yourself after speaking with your new cabin steward.

Thanks all!

Select expand and see above. This is how it was pre-pandemic. We have been booking b2b2b's for around 15 years. We always search the bookings on the Princess web site and request cabins that we know are available for all the legs. We then ask that our booking be designated no upgrade. We have been very successful in remaining in the same cabin.

You should really do the math on the Best Sale Ever promo. It's $40/pp/day additional over the no frills fare, but includes the Premier Beverage Package, unlimited internet, gratuities, cabin upgrade, specialty dining. When you subtract the auto-gratuity approx. $15 from the $40, the net extra cost is $25/pp/day. A few drinks, specialty coffees, water, sodas and you break even. The gratuity is paid from your on board account if you select the no frills fare.

Edited by skynight

Thanks skynight and JF.   Thanks for the suggestion regarding BSE but we've never found the all-inclusive fare to our advantage since we do not imbibe.  We already get internet minutes, not unlimited of course but have always been more than sufficient, so the only real benefit to us would be gratuities.  The price difference has never justified it.  Our current no-frills fare includes cabin upgrade and specialty dining.  

We've been cruising with Princess for a while now so I am familiar with how it all works generally.  We've had our waitstaff and cabin steward change on longer cruises even when booked as one cruise, so I know that it can happen.  Mainly I'm just trying to make sure I consider any potential inconveniences in my decision making.  

So far, the plusses of shorter segments are additional obc, additional internet minutes, replenished minibar, having a better cabin for some of the segments. 

The minuses are having to change cabins, wasting time on turn-around day, having to purchase a new coffee package for each segment (offset by trading the minibar), new mdr table assignment (which could also be a plus depending on the situation 😉.)

Decisions, decisions...

Edited by pompeii

17 minutes ago, pompeii said:

So far, the plusses of shorter segments are additional obc, additional internet minutes, replenished minibar, having a better cabin for some of the segments. 

The minuses are having to change cabins, wasting time on turn-around day, having to purchase a new coffee package for each segment (offset by trading the minibar), new mdr table assignment (which could also be a plus depending on the situation 😉.)

Our experience with mini bars and internet minutes is that you receive a new ones for each cruise segment. For example on a 14 day b2b cruise booked as a single voyage we received a new mini bar and internet minutes for each segment. However, when booked as a single 14 day you only receive the OBC related to a 14 day cruise. We almost always break up our b2b's into their smallest bookable  segments. On the last 30 b2b unused specialty coffees also carried over. If we only used 10 of the 15 the next cruise started with 20 in the account.

10 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

#2 is wrong - accounts do not carry over!

Hal

We have been sailing b2b, b2b2b, b2b2b2b for almost 15 years on Princess. Our most recent were three 10 day cruises in February 2020 on the Crown. Our experience on every one of of these cruises was that the on board accounts rolled over, and there was a final summary invoice at the time of final disembarkation. If the first leg ended with a credit balance (OBC balance) the next leg began with a credit balance. Our experience with the free platinum internet minutes was that they also rolled over.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, skynight said:

Our experience on every one of of these cruises was that the on board accounts rolled over, and there was a final summary invoice at the time of final disembarkation. If the first leg ended with a credit balance (OBC balance) the next leg began with a credit balance. Our experience with the free platinum internet minutes was that they also rolled over.

We’ve had your experiences several times & in addition the remainder of our coffee program’s specialty coffee drinks rolled over to the next cruise.

• #1: near the end of the current cruise we’ve been asked if we want to continue with the same dining room wait staff which we’ve always been happy to do.
  • #2: yes but have had to occasionally go to the Internet Café to get remaining minutes rolled over.
  • #3: yes & near the end of our current cruise we call room service to select our minibar options or to request a coffee program.
  • #4: pre-pandemic in USA ports had to get off the ship as in-transit passengers to reboard first. In some non-USA ports we’ve been processed onboard & not required to disembark.

1 hour ago, pompeii said:

having to purchase a new coffee package for each segment (offset by trading the minibar)

It’s been our experience that remaining coffee program specialty coffees have rolled over to the next cruise following the first cruise.

I just checked our final accounts from Regal December 2019, b2b, and there are two, one for each cruise with no apparent carry over. We did have two different cabins on those cruises, does that make a difference?

In March of 22, we have a b2b to South America, I’ll have to wait till then to see.

Hal

For sometime, on our B2Bs, the statement account has carried over all charges/OBCs until the end of our last cruise. The same has been for the cruise dates printed on our cruise cards. It shows the date we board and the end date of our last cruise.  At one time we did receive cruise cards for each segment along with instructions for the turn around day.  We have been able to get off the ship on turn around day to either go on a tour or explore the port.  If not we follow the ship's instructions.

The cruise director's jokes will remain the same.  Well, at least the bad ones will stay the same. 😒

The menus will most likely repeat to some extent.

Guest entertainers may or may not repeat, you really can't tell ahead of time unless you're personal friends with them.

Edited by beg3yrs

12 hours ago, HS2BS said:

I just checked our final accounts from Regal December 2019, b2b, and there are two, one for each cruise with no apparent carry over. We did have two different cabins on those cruises, does that make a difference?

I always go to the Customer Service desk on the first segment to make sure their system shows I will be on the next segment so that the account will carry over. This has worked whether changing cabins or staying in the same one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

The cruise director's jokes will remain the same.  Well, at least the bad ones will stay the same. 😒

The menus will most likely repeat to some extent.

Guest entertainers may or may not repeat, you really can't tell ahead of time unless you're personal friends with them.

Cruise director's jokes....😆...kinda forgot about those.

None of that, though, would be different whether booked as a long cruise or as two or more shorter cruises.

• Like 1

One other benefit I just thought of to booking shorter segments, at least with the current promo - an additional specialty dining credit for each segment.  If I keep my 28 day, we get one specialty dining but if I book it as a 22 and a 6-day, we would get two.  I don't care that much either way, but it is a benefit to consider.  

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 12:10 PM, pompeii said:

Thanks skynight and JF.   Thanks for the suggestion regarding BSE but we've never found the all-inclusive fare to our advantage since we do not imbibe.  We already get internet minutes, not unlimited of course but have always been more than sufficient, so the only real benefit to us would be gratuities.  The price difference has never justified it.  Our current no-frills fare includes cabin upgrade and specialty dining.  

We've been cruising with Princess for a while now so I am familiar with how it all works generally.  We've had our waitstaff and cabin steward change on longer cruises even when booked as one cruise, so I know that it can happen.  Mainly I'm just trying to make sure I consider any potential inconveniences in my decision making.  

Decisions, decisions...

We’ve been on a few b2b and always kept the same table.  One time I was on a b2b where we changed the dining time on the second half and we asked if we could have the same table and servers.  They did accommodate us.  

4 hours ago, tere247 said:

We’ve been on a few b2b and always kept the same table.  One time I was on a b2b where we changed the dining time on the second half and we asked if we could have the same table and servers.  They did accommodate us.  

During the first leg make sure the Maitre'D knows you're staying on. Usually he or she already knows but not always. Once we were doing a 5-leg trip and were initially placed at a large table where everyone except for us was leaving after the first leg. Sure that was OK but all our new friends left way too soon. We've also made the request to keep the same wait staff and table when the original plan was to rotate the wait staff to a different set of tables. Our request was accommodated without any trouble. I believe the Maitre'D appreciates knowing certain staff are doing a good job and is happy to please the passengers as well.

17 hours ago, tere247 said:

We’ve been on a few b2b and always kept the same table. 

Some times the tab;le is "the same" and sometimes it is not.

We were on one cruise and asked to keep the same table for 6 with the same servers for the 2nd segment.

We did have the same table number in the same location, but it was now a table for 4 and our servers had been transferred to a different dining room.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple more possible benefits to shorter segments instead of one longer cruise...if you'd bump up a loyalty level after a segment, you'd get those next level benefits for the following segments.  That can really help, especially if you're getting to platinum or elite.  Who doesn't like free internet and laundry?

Also, if you want to choose between the inclusive fare and the basic lower fare, you can book whichever you want for different segments, instead of having to commit to the all inclusive for the duration.  This could be beneficial if you have a port-intensive segment when you're off the ship all day followed by a TA where you would be on board to enjoy the benefits. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pompeii said:

A couple more possible benefits to shorter segments instead of one longer cruise...if you'd bump up a loyalty level after a segment, you'd get those next level benefits for the following segments.  That can really help, especially if you're getting to platinum or elite.  Who doesn't like free internet and laundry?

If you booked a b2b as a single cruise each leg is considered a cruise credit(s). If you change loyalty level after one of the legs the Captain's Circle Host can change your status. Refer to the below attachment post number 28.

• 4 months later...

Hi understand that the balance of your account will be carry over the second cruise, but will the "free" obc do the same? They say "spend it all, they wont exist anymore at the end of your cruise"... Do the mean "cruise" or "segment"?