Best Of Hilo: Waterfall, Volcano Winery & Black Sand Beach ITO-320

brenton

We did this excursion. It was just ok. It’s a nice tall  waterfall. Everyone takes a lot of photos. The winery takes too long. I believe we ate lunch there. You take a short hike at the beach. We saw turtles and there was a great tee shirt shack with unusual designs but there was no actual time on the beach. We did not go to a volcano . It wasn’t very warm that day and I was glad to have a jacket.

The Hawaii boards have a lot of good information.  The winery is actually across the Queen’s Highway in the town of Volcano HI.  As with many National  Parks HAVO is large.  The caldera with the lava lake Hale’uma’u is  several miles away.  I would ask if it visits there.  Doesn’t sound like it. You never know when Kileau’s eruptions will start or stop, but you would want to see the caldera anyway. 

The waterfall is north of Hilo, while Punaluu’ Black Sand Beach (I think is at MM 56 or so and  HAVO MM 43 or so), are both south.  MM 1 is just south of the port near the airport.  Lots of driving.  It’s called the Big Island for a reason.  But road is very good and straight unlike a lot of the rest of the Island. 

According to the tour description, you will be stopping for lunch at the Volcano Winery (not Volcano National Park).

https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/hilo-hawaii-excursions/waterfall-volcano-winery-and-black-sand-beach/

Halemaumau is "erupting" (more of a lava flow from the side of the caldera).  You never know how long this will last.  Given a choice at this very short port, I'd book a Volcano Tour instead.  You can't do both waterfalls and visit to the National Park on a tour on the same day.  I'd rent a car early.  Hawaii Island is very easy to drive.

20 hours ago, skynight said:

Yes this is correct, see web site. But, the address places the winery in Volcano NP next to the visitor center.

https://volcanowinery.com/

The Visitor Center in Volcano NP is not a thrill. From there you can see a fuming area a ways off. You don't see the "volcano". You don't see hot lava. I've seen vastly better volcanic action multiple times without going to Hawaii. Locally I can visit Lassen National Park. We've been to Yellowstone several times. Visiting the Volcano NP Visitor Center will be a huge disappointment if you are expecting to "see a volcano". I'm not saying you shouldn't go but just don't expect too much from a visit there. Below is an image from the Internet showing the "volcano" view from the visitor center. The day we were there was nowhere near as "dramatic" as this image. It was barely even fuming.

kilauea visitor's center | Lovingthebigisland's Weblog

Agree with Thrak.  If you are wanting to see an "active" volcano, Volcano National Park is not going to be the place.  This is the most recent photo from Volcano National Park of the same crater that Thrak shows above.  I've visited the park on my own and explored the other areas of interest (not sure the tour would allow this).  

022221-WEB-Halemaumau-Crater-rainbow.jpg.6d8c48b29f7bc413c3ed9d3e2835e2e0.jpg

This next photo was taken from a helicopter in 2009.  Kilauea Caldera is one of the most active volcanoes.  Right now, Madame Pele is pretty subdued.

into the ocean.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:03 PM, brenton said:

Has anyone done this excursion?  Does it visit the volcano? 

No volcano visit. Waterfall is dependent on rainfall. It had been pouring before we got there, so it was quite a cascade. Winery was skipped. We did the Mona loa  Macadamia plantation. The Candy factory as well. Yup we stocked up on both. Black sand beach was ok, but we saw lots of sea turtles coming in to nest. That was kind of cool.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:41 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Given a choice at this very short port, I'd book a Volcano Tour instead.  

We booked the Volcano tour (through Princess) on one of our cruises. We were in a van with maybe 10 others. The tour people were very thorough with explanations. Lots of time to walk around and explore.

I'd recommend it.

damn good Pinot Noir. Upon corking there's a slight aroma of sulfur, colors are a rich divide between a harvest grey and sooty blue, which leads to pahoehoe texture of the wine. The resonating flavor of methane combines well with burnt coconut.  A silky after thought of poi lingers on the tongue, lending itself to a pairing of many types of pork dishes. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 2

I thoroughly enjoyed the visit to Volcano Winery.  The wine tasting was fantastic!  The lunch was also good.   I said "Mahalo" and "Aloha" to staff there, when arriving, being served, and when (sadly) leaving.

It is hard to beat the waterfalls on the Big Island.

Enjoy!  

• Like 1

I agree with AF-1 about using the Port of Call Board.

You can post your question(s) there also.

The tour you referenced is on the Big Island offered by Princess for 6 ½ hours. 

The Port of Call Board for “Hawaii” has pages after page of comments, questions, ideas etc. 

Plus info on:  independent tours, helicopter tours, rental car, shuttle service, hotels, etc.   Check it out.