3 cruises cancelled

OHHnoo10

19 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

It was meant tongue in cheek, just an image popped in my head.

Sorry. I had just read again a looong post about why cruising won't ever, in this lifetime start again and if " permission is ever given again" there will be such a long list of restrictions that...........and I thought, what was the point of that. Then your tounge in cheek post piped up and I thought.  Why all this talk about social distancing an Britannia and not in Tesco.   Why in MDR and not the harvester. Time for a lye down...🤣

• Haha 2

We had 4 cruises booked pre-pandemic which were subsequently cancelled, totalling 135 nights.

After the first two were cancelled we booked some further cruises (only because the first two were cancelled).  These totalled a further 58 nights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Just to add interest to this thread how many cruises and days has everyone else lost?

We’ve lost 3 cruises, 39 nights (plus 3 UK holidays). Two cruises were cancelled after we had paid in full, so we have had refunds on those. The 3rd one was cancelled before balance due date, so the deposit is sitting on our account as FCC which we shall most likely use when the last new release of cruises happen in the autumn for something in 2023. 

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

That your post detailing all the bad things, may well not happen.

He was saying that a Med cruise could happen in September.

Bearing in mind that, by that time September rolls around there will have been an 18 months pause in international cruising, and the virus isn’t finished with us yet- Selbourne was displaying hope for the future. That’s how I read it, anyway. 

• Like 5

Just now, zap99 said:

That your post detailing all the bad things, may well not happen.

I think you misread my post. I said, in response to the OP’s question, that I thought that their September Med cruise would go ahead. Others are less optimistic, but I am feeling hopeful that it will. I did suggest that small ports might be substituted with larger ones. Perhaps you disagree? None of us know. I have no idea what you mean by ‘all the bad things’. I merely stated things that it would be common sense to hope are sorted as, by doing so, chances are much improved. I also said, had you read my post properly, that I felt that these things would all come together.

Throughout the past year you, and one or two others, have been very quick to dismiss comments from those of us who have raised valid issues that were likely to prevent the resumption of cruises. Whilst thinly veiled as humour, they have none the less been sarcastic. Sadly, your endless optimism was proved wrong over and over again. I don’t expect you to acknowledge that, but I’m surprised that you are still adopting the same approach when I am now saying that I think that overseas cruises will return in the autumn?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Our latest cancelled cruise for July was our 5th so far with a total of 68 days, if you count our last Septembers B2B as 2 cruises.

Just to add interest to this thread how many cruises and days has everyone else lost?

We have lost 3 cruises and 36 nights. One was booked using fcc (cancelled a couple of days ago) which yesterday we transferred for a second time, this time to the first Azura cruise leaving her base in Malta on March 31 2022. I have to say the booking process with P&O direct went very smoothly, no problem with using fcc even though it was generated from a cruise in the latest block of cancellations. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

He was saying that a Med cruise could happen in September.

Bearing in mind that, by that time September rolls around there will have been an 18 months pause in international cruising, and the virus isn’t finished with us yet- Selbourne was displaying hope for the future. That’s how I read it, anyway. 

Thank you. That’s exactly what I was saying. Even before the latest cancellations were announced I stated several times that, whilst I couldn’t see overseas cruises happening this summer, I could envisage a restart in September. I know that you have also taken flack for taking the same views as me and have grown as tired of it as I have. None of us takes any delight whatsoever in having been proved right time and time again during this crisis, as we have also lost out on much looked forward to cruises and, from my point of view, it has been a particular shame as we retired in 2019 with the aim of getting as many holidays in as we could in the first few years of retirement, before my wife’s disability got to the point that we couldn’t. However, a bit of humility from those who have constantly jibed at us over the last year wouldn’t go amiss 😉 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I think you misread my post. I said, in response to the OP’s question, that I thought that their September Med cruise would go ahead. Others are less optimistic, but I am feeling hopeful that it will. I did suggest that small ports might be substituted with larger ones. Perhaps you disagree? None of us know. I have no idea what you mean by ‘all the bad things’. I merely stated things that it would be common sense to hope are sorted as, by doing so, chances are much improved. I also said, had you read my post properly, that I felt that these things would all come together.

Throughout the past year you, and one or two others, have been very quick to dismiss comments from those of us who have raised valid issues that were likely to prevent the resumption of cruises. Whilst thinly veiled as humour, they have none the less been sarcastic. Sadly, your endless optimism was proved wrong over and over again. I don’t expect you to acknowledge that, but I’m surprised that you are still adopting the same approach when I am now saying that I think that overseas cruises will return in the autumn?

The OP asked about med cruises, not med cruises from Southampton. Cruises to nowhere in UK waters have no bearing on what RC, NCL  Costa, MSC etc do in the Med. Greece Spain, Cyprus want holidays to start asap. Why does a 500 bedroomed hotel have to be different to a 500 cabin cruise ship?. By continually highlighting your perceived logic you don't help cruising start. Telling us all you won't be cruising till 2023 doesn't seem to be a vote of confidence. I will leave it up to the experts to decide once they examine their evidence.

Edited by zap99

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Our latest cancelled cruise for July was our 5th so far with a total of 68 days, if you count our last Septembers B2B as 2 cruises.

We have lost 75 night ( 1 x 14 nt and 1 28 nt on Cunard and 1x 14 nt and 1 x 19 nt on P&O) and 1 x 14 nt holiday in Austria.

Edited by majortom10

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

By continually highlighting your perceived logic you don't help cruising start. Telling us all you won't be cruising till 2023 doesn't seem to be a vote of confidence

But continually deriding my ‘perceived logic’, even when proved correct, does? Again, I fear that you are picking a fight in an empty room. As you are making an assumption about the reasons why we aren’t cruising until 2023 I shall have to explain. We are having an extension on our property next year in order to provide a ground floor bedroom, wet room, large living room and level access to a new patio for my disabled wife who is now a full time wheelchair user. As well as being frighteningly expensive, it is currently scheduled to take from March to September. Therefore a cruise next year isn’t a sensible option for us. If this wasn’t happening we would be cruising, as I happen to think that the on board restrictions that would deter us from cruising at present will hopefully be history by then. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thank you. That’s exactly what I was saying. Even before the latest cancellations were announced I stated several times that, whilst I couldn’t see overseas cruises happening this summer, I could envisage a restart in September. I know that you have also taken flack for taking the same views as me and have grown as tired of it as I have. None of us takes any delight whatsoever in having been proved right time and time again during this crisis, as we have also lost out on much looked forward to cruises and, from my point of view, it has been a particular shame as we retired in 2019 with the aim of getting as many holidays in as we could in the first few years of retirement, before my wife’s disability got to the point that we couldn’t. However, a bit of humility from those who have constantly jibed at us over the last year wouldn’t go amiss 😉 

Totally agree. 

We finished work at the end of 2014, and by 2016 we had really got into our stride with travel. From 2016 to 2019 we had some really good years, doing all the things we wanted to. There’s still things we want to do, and the pandemic has scuppered this. Not sure if we will ever feel quite the same about long haul travel after all this, but we still have things closer to the U.K. that we want to do, for example, going up to Svalbard. 

I want the pandemic to be over as much as the next person, but after a year of this, its clear that things aren’t going to magically pop back to ‘normal’. But, like you, I am hopeful of some developments this year. At the start of the year, I said that I hoped for some short test cruises by the summer, and it looks might this happen. Baby steps, but in the right direction 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

But continually deriding my ‘perceived logic’, even when proved correct, does? Again, I fear that you are picking a fight in an empty room. As you are making an assumption about the reasons why we aren’t cruising until 2023 I shall have to explain. We are having an extension on our property next year in order to provide a ground floor bedroom, wet room, large living room and level access to a new patio for my disabled wife who is now a full time wheelchair user. As well as being frighteningly expensive, it is currently scheduled to take from March to September. Therefore a cruise next year isn’t a sensible option for us. If this wasn’t happening we would be cruising, as I happen to think that the on board restrictions that would deter us from cruising at present will hopefully be history by then. 

It’ll be great when it’s all finished. 

we have just had a new patio done, and we are looking forward to using it this summer. 

Our remaining cruises have been moved to 2022, and I doubt if I’ll book anything else until the way ahead seems clearer, but I hope to cruise in 2023, even if it’s a later booking on Iona or Arvia 

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We've lost two cruises, 1 last year and June this year, a total of 31 nights. Not as many as some, but upsetting nonetheless.

Avril

• Like 2

We didn’t have any bookings having just spent 35 nights on Ventura in January and February 2020 just before the pandemic. Our intention was to book a last minute cruise to the Canaries before Christmas 2020. So we haven’t lost any cruises and have nothing booked for the future. And that’s how it will remain for some time! We’ll probably try to book a city stay in the UK later on, but I’m more than content to stay at home for now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I did admit that you had been proved right, however let's not forget that cruising has already started in some areas. Since P&O cruise mainly from the UK, they have been held back by the govt ban on cruising, but Mein schiff, Aida, MSC, and Costa have all had some sailings and some are fairly regular, and several ships are also sailing in the far east. 

The further problem for UK potential passengers on these ships, have been because some countries banned UK tourists and our govt have recently not allowed foreign travel.

So zap and I could equally argue that you were as wrong as we were.😇

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I did admit that you had been proved right, however let's not forget that cruising has already started in some areas. Since P&O cruise mainly from the UK, they have been held back by the govt ban on cruising, but Mein schiff, Aida, MSC, and Costa have all had some sailings and some are fairly regular, and several ships are also sailing in the far east. 

The further problem for UK potential passengers on these ships, have been because some countries banned UK tourists and our govt have recently not allowed foreign travel.

We will all have some answers in a few weeks. I am quite happy to accept that nobody knows, so our predictions are not worth much. I am waiting for refunds from Celebrity and P&O. Once back in the bank, we will probably book a couple more cruises. We may need to hold fire on Alaska/Canada until about July when the BA flights go on sale . We have 2 UK holidays booked for this summer and a couple of weeks in the Balearics. If cruises open up later this year we will probably sneak one in. Always positive, but with a plan B.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not sure that I follow your last point John 😂, but to be fair you did acknowledge that when the latest announcement was made, just as I acknowledged that I was wrong in doubting that the vaccination programme could progress at the rate that it has done. So, in your case, I would agree that we are ‘one-all’, not that we are competitive 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I did admit that you had been proved right, however let's not forget that cruising has already started in some areas.

I'd suggest it's not cruising as the relaxing holiday that we know and love

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2773417-grandiosa-1-week-sailing-with-covid-protection-activated/

Two last minute itinerary changes

One port where the passengers couldn't leave the ship.

4 Covid tests

Being sent to an isolation cabin

Disembarking the ship in a Hazmat suit.

All for a 7 day cruise.

For me, that is just too much hassle for a week long cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We were quite lucky, as we had decided that we weren’t going to do much in the way of cruising in 2020, so were less affected by cancellations than we might otherwise have been.

However, we have still lost three cruises or 35 nights.

March 2020 Fred Olsen Boudicca 18 nights

March 2021 Iona 14 nights. (In a different world, we’d have been on the road right now to Southampton)

May 2021 CMV Amy Johnson 3 nights (went bust)

our remaining 2 cruises have already been rescheduled to 2022

Hi Dermotsgirl ..... in a different world we would have been aboard Iona with you. We would have travelled round the M25 from our home at the top of the North Downs yesterday, and stayed just off the motorway in a Premier Inn then resumed the journey to Southampton this morning.  
Should be doing muster round about now ?? 

When we got back to our room our luggage would have arrived and we would be anticipating sail away and the first evening on board with a glass of wine while deciding what to wear ...🥂!!

Never mind ... WE WILL be doing all of this again and hopefully it won’t be too long  now 🤞.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

Hi Dermotsgirl ..... in a different world we would have been aboard Iona with you. We would have travelled round the M25 from our home at the top of the North Downs yesterday, and stayed just off the motorway in a Premier Inn then resumed the journey to Southampton this morning.  
Should be doing muster round about now ?? 

When we got back to our room our luggage would have arrived and we would be anticipating sail away and the first evening on board with a glass of wine while deciding what to wear ...🥂!!

Never mind ... WE WILL be doing all of this again and hopefully it won’t be too long  now 🤞.

Hi, Best Guessed.

I've been thinking about the other world all day today.  Right now, we'd be out on the open decks, as we set sail.  It'd be cold, but a beautifully sunny late spring afternoon.  We'd have to wrap up warm.

• Like 1

Hi Dermotsgirl .... We are feeling very deflated today.

We have been thinking of all the familiar things we love about the first few hours on board when the whole cruise is ahead of us .....

The routine of boarding, finding our cabin, checking to locate table in dining room, meeting our steward, having a wander round the ship, attending muster (not our favourite bit but nevertheless!!) sail away along The Solent leaving the lights of Southampton behind as we head out into the Channel.  
Unpacking !!

Dressing for dinner ..... Ooh I think I might cry 😢😢!!!

• Like 2