The Daily for Saturday Mar 06, 2021

richwmn

25 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

And I ache for you, because I know how I would feel.  

I'm wondering if we were on the same cruise, because I was on the Rotterdam May 2006.  I hadn't discovered Cruise Critic yet, not until our next cruise in 2007.

Again, I had to go back in my files, but we weren't on the same cruise - ours was October 9 - 23, 2006.  Wonderful memories, as I'm sure you have as well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ahoy from north of the border.

We most often sail on HAL, but in 2020, we had the chance to tick off a trip we had always wanted to take.

One year ago today, we were just unpacking from our flight home from Cairo after spending the better part of three weeks in the Middle East, first with a week in Jordan followed by a dozen days in Egypt traveling from Cairo, along the Nile River as far south as Abu Simbel, just about 30 miles or so from the border of Sudan. We did not visit today's port of Alexandria, but since many people who ported there did travel to Cairo and Giza, we thought some might like to see photos of Cairo and our trip along the Nile.

https://canucksinegypt.blogspot.com/

Here is the url link to the non-commercial blog we did during our trip. We had wifi access daily and could post photos and notes. I did take many photos inside the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, but a photo pass was required. 

Both Egypt and Jordan are interesting countries as long as one likes history and visiting ancient historical sites (we do). Be aware that our blog is quite photo laden. Also, the blog opens to the most recent posting. The small three horizontal bars menu icon (top left) will let you navigate back to the earlier posts. 

Four days after we arrived home, the first Covid-19 cases were reported in Luxor, Egypt where we had disembarked our river cruise ship just a couple days prior.

Hoping you enjoy our blog posts.

Remember: Stay positive, but test negative!

Cheers

• Like 16

Well, I finally got my first jab today.  I'm the last one in Western Washington to get started on it.  Well, at least of those who inhabit this forum.  I know that all of my neighbors @USN59-79, @Cruising-along, and @HAL4NOW have at least received your first and some of you (maybe all?) are finished.  My appointment for today at the K-P facility in Everett was made on Jan 21.  I went in TERRIFIED that they might be short on doses, but all went well.

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 18

18 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Well, I finally got my first jab today.  I'm the last one in Western Washington to get started on it.  Well, at least of those who inhabit this forum.  I know that all of my neighbors @USN59-79, @Cruising-along, and @HAL4NOW have at least received your first and some of you (maybe all?) are finished.  My appointment for today at the K-P facility in Everett was made on Jan 21.  I went in TERRIFIED that they might be short on doses, but all went well.

Yay!  I have almost asked you if you'd been successful at getting an appointment.  Thanks for letting us know. 🙂  We had to drive to Seattle for both 1st and 2nd doses, but that was fine with us.  

• Like 10

Cruisepuck’s detailed blog is like taking a Nile cruise all over again! Great photos and narrative bring back happy memories.

One recollection I have is men wearing traditional dress (galabeya) riding donkeys while talking on their cellphones. Tradition and technology.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Av8rix said:

We, in Bremerton, finished our 2nd doses Feb. 23.  I'm volunteering at our local Public Health site & we have been busy!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

We, in Bremerton, finished our 2nd doses Feb. 23.  I'm volunteering at our local Public Health site & we have been busy!!!

We, in Silverdale got ours a day later.  It is hard to express how much more comfortable I feel going out now, even though I still wear a mask.  I am wondering if next year we will get a combined flu and COVID shot at the same time.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Av8rix said:

I was scheduled for the second shot on March 2nd, but because of some supply issues the appointment was changed for Friday, the 5th. I got my second dose a little after 7AM yesterday, and I am feeling fine today; just a little more tired than normal.

• Like 12

My trip to Egypt was in Jan 2009....two years before the Arab Spring of 2011. The trip did not include Alexandria, but since others are including memories of Cairo, I will too.  It was a river cruise by Gate 1 Travel. (someone else mentioned them on a previous post) But we spent about 3 days in Cairo before and went to a resort on the Red Sea after the cruise.  There were armed guards everywhere even back then.  I remember the guard, who was riding on the bus with us, falling asleep!  At that time we also stayed at a hotel with a view of the Giza pyramids but it was a Hotel Sofitel then.  I also remember following a pickup load of what appeared to be dead donkeys....until one of them moved!  And a dead horse in a drainage ditch next to the road.  I was surprised at all of the half-finished buildings.  They don't pay tax on them until they are finished so remain that way for years.  And, like someone else mentioned, I got the worst food poisioning of my life.  But, in spite of all of this, I really did enjoy the trip!  Thanks for posting all of the pictures and stories....it made my memories come flooding back.  My pictures are somewhere on a CD.  I should copy them to my computer someday.

• Like 7

Another Washingtonian chiming in. We're up near the Canadian border (between Mount Vernon and Bellingham). We got our second shot on the 20th. I had a sore arm but DH (who has underlying conditions and is 80) had body weakness that was bad enough I had to call 911 and they took him in to be checked at our local ER. It took most of the week for him to get mostly back to normal. 

My 94-year-old mom in BC (who I haven't seen in a year) got her first shot last Monday and says her second is in 4 months. I've heard that they are separating the vaccine doses more than we are down here, but 4 months? 

Waiting for cruising to open up. Meanwhile staying home, doing some day trips and exploring, and wearing our masks! 

Haven't been to any of the ports yet but love reading about them. Our cruises have all been to Alaska so if an Alaskan port comes up I'm ready!

Karen

• Like 11

Pretty much the whole country is now moving to a pause of four months between jabs,  of course if sufficient vaccine arrives they will move to the second one sooner.   The hope is that even just the first vaccination will be enough to prevent the spread of the virus if everyone gets it pdq.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1