NCL to restart ships

Jancruz

From Harry Sommer President of NCL..today

The Cruise Line will restart operations at a reduced capacity with Norwegian Jade, Joy and Gem as the first of its 17-ship fleet to welcome guests back on board. Travelers long-awaiting a return to cruise will have the opportunity to spend the summer exploring ancient ruins and sunny beaches with all new seven-day cruises to the Greek Isles on Norwegian Jade from Athens (Piraeus) beginning July 25, 2021. They can also island hop with week-long Caribbean itineraries available from Montego Bay, Jamaica as of Aug. 7, 2021 on Norwegian Joy or from Punta Cana (La Romana), Dominican Republic on Norwegian Gem beginning Aug. 15, 2021.

Jancruz1

It seems as if the entire industry has decided to start again without touching American shores as Viking and Crystal are also beginning to sail from places such as Greece, Iceland, and Bermuda.  IMHO, there is no alternative other than to sit still and go broke.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hanoverian said:

It seems as if the entire industry has decided to start again without touching American shores as Viking and Crystal are also beginning to sail from places such as Greece, Iceland, and Bermuda.  IMHO, there is no alternative other than to sit still and go broke.

But NCLH has also submitted a US restart request with a July 4th effective date to the CDC, so they are not just depending on offshore-based cruises.

48 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

From Harry Sommer President of NCL..today

The Cruise Line will restart operations at a reduced capacity with Norwegian Jade, Joy and Gem as the first of its 17-ship fleet to welcome guests back on board. Travelers long-awaiting a return to cruise will have the opportunity to spend the summer exploring ancient ruins and sunny beaches with all new seven-day cruises to the Greek Isles on Norwegian Jade from Athens (Piraeus) beginning July 25, 2021. They can also island hop with week-long Caribbean itineraries available from Montego Bay, Jamaica as of Aug. 7, 2021 on Norwegian Joy or from Punta Cana (La Romana), Dominican Republic on Norwegian Gem beginning Aug. 15, 2021.

Jancruz1

Great news.  But what about O and Regent?  Any news on when they might start? 

48 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

But NCLH has also submitted a US restart request with a July 4th effective date to the CDC, so they are not just depending on offshore-based cruises.

Hedging their bets, Proving their clean/COVID policy will work.  The 4th is not going happen.  FDR is a skilled marketeer and he picked the date specifically.   What works is that they get the OK so they do not lose the 2021/22 Caribbean season that begins in the fall.

33 minutes ago, RJB said:

Great news.  But what about O and Regent?  Any news on when they might start? 

Insignia is now docked in Aruba and Insignia has been moved to Acapulco.  Perfect for similar non US port cruises.

Edited by PaulMCO

1 minute ago, PaulMCO said:

Hedging their bets, Proving their clean/COVID policy will work.  The 4th is not going happen.  FDR is a skilled marketeer and he picked the date specifically.   What works is that they get the OK so they do not lose the 2021/22 Caribbean season that begins in the fall.

I have no doubt that July 4th was chosen for its political/PR value rather than it representing a realistic restart date. My point is that NCLH is not only relying on offshore homeporting but is also actively pursuing a domestic restart, something no other cruise line has done as of yet....or at least hasn't done publicly.

• Like 2

Just now, njhorseman said:

I have no doubt that July 4th was chosen for its political/PR value rather than it representing a realistic restart date. My point is that NCLH is not only relying on offshore homeporting but is also actively pursuing a domestic restart, something no other cruise line has done as of yet....or at least hasn't done publicly.

Agree -- he has thrown down the gauntlet.  He is the most public of the CEO's and I would bet it was done with the others encouragement.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Squeeze play.  Look, I am trying to be reasonable.  Here's my plans.  Look them over, tell me what is specifically wrong with them, and maybe we can work it out in time for July 4 (my strawman deadline).  And, oh by the way, look at that, will you, everyone else starting up elsewhere.  Seems that they were able to get the approval of other governments.  Gee, their port workers, suppliers, crews, excursion folks must be happy.  Bet ours would be, too, if you would only look at my plans.  Hear that - your phone is ringing - maybe it is OUR port workers, suppliers, etc., who are also calling the WH and Congress.  OK, your move.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Hanoverian said:

Squeeze play.  Look, I am trying to be reasonable.  Here's my plans.  Look them over, tell me what is specifically wrong with them, and maybe we can work it out in time for July 4 (my strawman deadline).  And, oh by the way, look at that, will you, everyone else starting up elsewhere.  Seems that they were able to get the approval of other governments.  Gee, their port workers, suppliers, crews, excursion folks must be happy.  Bet ours would be, too, if you would only look at my plans.  Hear that - your phone is ringing - maybe it is OUR port workers, suppliers, etc., who are also calling the WH and Congress.  OK, your move.

Sounds reasonable from a reasonable person. However, both Fauci and the CDC have publicly and clearly stated they don’t consider economic consequences in their decisions. 

The decision to allow cruising to resume, in the near term, will be made at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, not at CDC Headquarters. Stop trying to apply logic to any governmental agency.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Sounds reasonable from a reasonable person. However, both Fauci and the CDC have publicly and clearly stated they don’t consider economic consequences in their decisions. 

The decision to allow cruising to resume, in the near term, will be made at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, not at CDC Headquarters. Stop trying to apply logic to any governmental agency.

That was my point, but maybe not that clear.  Other government entities under pressure themselves might pressure the CDC.  No agency or organization lives in a total vacuum.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hanoverian said:

‘Squeeze play’ versus ‘bring me a rock.’  You can bet that whatever plan each line submits, there will be CDC dithering and goal-post-moving. 

’July’ is now grayed-out on the O website under ‘Plan a Cruise;’ one of my Roll Call mates in the U.K. reported their TA told them we were cancelled. 

14 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I was a senior attorney in the Federal government before I retired. THE BIGGEST problem I had with my staff was the same as I’ve seen with CDC and Fauci. They know ONE thing, in a complex multidimensional problem. They demand that ONLY their thing has any value. So my attorneys would craft a policy or action recommendation that optimized the legal stance — no or THE minimum legal risk. That attitude struck the clients as arrogant, and it got in the way of an optimal OVERALL solution. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jan, when and where are we going when all of this shakes out? John and I will be getting our first vaccine next week.  We need to see you make up for our December cruise.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I read on the Celebrity site today that O put out notification on its' site that cruising won't restart until Mid-August.

I don't see any such statement on Oceania's website. Oceania has said that cruises through the end of July have been cancelled.

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I don't see any such statement on Oceania's website. Oceania has said that cruises through the end of July have been cancelled.

Same here as you.  Early August cruises show availability.  of course that doesn't mean they won't be cancelled 🤔

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 6:25 AM, njhorseman said:

I have no doubt that July 4th was chosen for its political/PR value rather than it representing a realistic restart date.

NCLH has now announced a July U.S. restart is not possible.

Unable to get the ships ready to sail in time.

I have little doubt the movement of vaccinated crew from countries such as India, Philippines and Indonesia would be one of the big hurdles. 

Last month on the Nautica refurbishment thread I wondered if Nautica was remaining in the Med this year, as cruises through the canal and after appeared fully waitlisted.

Makes sense given the situation.

Likewise, following Australia's 2022 border opening predictions, it appears unlikely Regatta will  be heading that way any time soon.

Edited by Tranquility Base