Florida sues to reopen cruise ports

Ken the cruiser

11 hours ago, markeb said:

The only low roar is on Cruise Critic

It seems this is where the cruising legislation is coming from...to no end.  But it's satisfying to complain/explain.  There are many knowledgeable folks on this thread...I'm learning a lot...so keep it coming.  😉

16 hours ago, markeb said:

I really don't know. I suspect ultimately the TSA and airlines felt it was unworkable, and  people could get in a car and drive across state lines without being tested.

I was just pointing out that the current POTUS was not following the science but conceding to the politics and airline executives.  I would assume that the CDC briefed him on the science and history.

Having travelled under both administrations and CDCs I did not notice any difference in interstate travel.  My point was ultimately it is the POTUS that makes the call and the CDC is an advisor.

10 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I was just pointing out that the current POTUS was not following the science but conceding to the politics and airline executives.  I would assume that the CDC briefed him on the science and history.

Having travelled under both administrations and CDCs I did not notice any difference in interstate travel.  My point was ultimately it is the POTUS that makes the call and the CDC is an advisor.

Actually the science comes down to risk benefit.

Main reason for testing on international flights is keep new variants out of the country.

Any variants on domestic flights are already inside of the country

Also while there have been some cases of spread on flights.  The number is relatively small.  While there might be some spread the R0 is also pretty low, not anywhere close to the R0 of 14 documented on the Diamond Princess.  

Apparently the POTUS has listened to his advisors and backs the CDC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, nocl said:

Actually the science comes down to risk benefit.

Main reason for testing on international flights is keep new variants out of the country.

Any variants on domestic flights are already inside of the country

Also while there have been some cases of spread on flights.  The number is relatively small.  While there might be some spread the R0 is also pretty low, not anywhere close to the R0 of 14 documented on the Diamond Princess.  

Apparently the POTUS has listened to his advisors and backs the CDC.

Nonsense if you believe the numbers from each state attributed to travel.  Travel was the number one contributor most weeks for Covid in our state.  Historically travel has been a big spreader of diseases.

Look at all of the state restrictions on travel.  Travelling into DC you must either have a negative Covid test or proof of vaccination.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

Just now, NMTraveller said:

Nonsense if you believe the numbers from each state attributed to travel.  Travel was the number one contributor most weeks for Covid in our state.

The question is what travel?  Travel within the state. Travel by car from one state to another.  For most of the pandemic until just recently most travel was by surface, not by air.

Post a link to your source please

4 minutes ago, nocl said:

The question is what travel?  Travel within the state. Travel by car from one state to another.  For most of the pandemic until just recently most travel was by surface, not by air.

Post a link to your source please

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html

I could not find links to all of our state's weekly Covid briefings.  

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I could not find links to all of our state's weekly Covid briefings.  

That is funny I can find some.

While most do mention the states restrictions on travel and that anyone coming in from out of state needing to quarantine.  Most seemed to focus on the Interstate 40 corrido. Very little mention of air travel though it is lumped in with the other out of state travel.

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

While most do mention the states restrictions on travel and that anyone coming in from out of state needing to quarantine.  Most seemed to focus on the Interstate 40 corrido. Very little mention of air travel though it is lumped in with the other out of state travel.

🙄

8 minutes ago, nocl said:

Post a link to the biweekly video.  All that I could find were press briefings.  An hour or two video has details.

So now you are disagreeing with the CDC and Dr. Fauci?  Dr. Fauci has commented on travel.

Edited by NMTraveller

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Post a link to the biweekly video.  All that I could find were press briefings.  An hour or two video has details.

So now you are disagreeing with the CDC?

nocl seems to want nothing more than to prove everyone wrong here, who has a differing opinion, constantly asking for "links" etc, it is so old already.  Earlier, another CC "expert" made a comment about the so called media medical experts, which I took to mean we should only believe the CC experts.  Sorry but not sorry, I get my COVID information from science, not social media such as CC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

nocl seems to want nothing more than to prove everyone wrong here, who has a differing opinion, constantly asking for "links" etc, it is so old already.  Earlier, another CC "expert" made a comment about the so called media medical experts, which I took to mean we should only believe the CC experts.  Sorry but not sorry, I get my COVID information from science, not social media such as CC.

Maybe you need to buy nocl an AI cocktail.

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

From my perspective, politics has influenced the "science experts" to keep the country and the world closed.  Politics have forced the "science experts" to minimize the different risks between vaccinated and unvaccinated people.  There will never be zero risk for contracting Covid and vaccinated people will not be the major source of spreading variants, unvaccinated people are the major risk for spreading variants.  We need to allow more freedom to the vaccinated portion of the population to resume their normal lives.  Scientists can't make this decision for us, reasonable leaders can.

3 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Hmmm. so I am chopped liver now?  I thought I was getting the cocktail? 😉

ABSOLUTELY NOT, TrulyBlonde, never!!!  The order of my AI beverage offering is - TrulyBlonde (2 for you), ipee and MAYBE nocl, at this point it is a positively definite maybe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT, TrulyBlonde, never!!!  The order of my AI beverage offering is - TrulyBlonde (2 for you), ipee and MAYBE nocl, at this point it is a positively definite maybe.

Should I take offense at being left out? Maybe I should be a little more contrary?

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Nonsense if you believe the numbers from each state attributed to travel.  Travel was the number one contributor most weeks for Covid in our state.  Historically travel has been a big spreader of diseases.

Look at all of the state restrictions on travel.  Travelling into DC you must either have a negative Covid test or proof of vaccination.

I hate to tell you, but you are working against your own argument for opening up cruising.  Travel of all kinds was a big contributor in the spread of Covid early on, and particularly over the winter months.  So, clearly travel in any form is inherently risky for virus spread both during and after travel has stopped.  Doesn't sound good for the cruise lines to me.

People should not have been traveling.  They were advised to stay home.  They didn't.  Not surprising.  We're not very good at taking suggestions.  I would have been all for shutting down domestic travel except for essential workers.  There was no reason for anyone to be flitting off somewhere just for kicks when all h*** was breaking loose here.  My husband is a pilot and has to travel commercially to reach his aircraft to fly.  I would have much preferred him to be safe without a mass of people who didn't need to travel surrounding him.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Actually I am debating NMTraveler, not as you say trying to prove everyone wrong.  There are quite a few I happen to agree with.

3 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I hate to tell you, but you are working against your own argument for opening up cruising.  Travel of all kinds was a big contributor in the spread of Covid early on, and particularly over the winter months.  So, clearly travel in any form is inherently risky for virus spread both during and after travel has stopped.  Doesn't sound good for the cruise lines to me.

Not really.  I am pointing out that whether we travel is more political than science based.  The politicians hold the keys to the car.

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

So now you are disagreeing with the CDC and Dr. Fauci?  Dr. Fauci has commented on travel.

You are the one that seems to be rather inconsistent.  Taking the position that the CDC is being too hard on Cruise lines a form of international travel, while pointing to a reference that all travel should be limited.

• Like 1

Just now, nocl said:

You are the one that seems to be rather inconsistent.  Taking the position that the CDC is being too hard on Cruise lines a form of international travel, while pointing to a reference that all travel should be limited.

Advisories and policies are different.  Policies are influenced by politics.  The CDCs policies on the travel industry are inconsistent and influenced by politics.

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

ipeeinthepool graciously offered that I buy you and AI beverage on our next cruise.  See you at the bar where we will all be joined by TrulyBlonde and Oceangoer2.  Cheers!!   

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Advisories and policies are different.  Policies are influenced by politics.  The CDCs policies on the travel industry are inconsistent and influenced by politics.

The policies are more consistent when you consider that they are risk benefit based.  As with many things in the medical and public health side.  

Cruise lines high risk low benefit.