Athens--looks like they will be SUPERBUSY this summer!

Lois R

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hey stranger, good to see you again😃 hope you doing well!  Been a very long year (for all of us).

I think I recall you mentioning Bill a few years back.  Nice.  In touch with any of the old group?

I lost touch with all of them a long time ago.

Yes, most of us are on Facebook and keep in touch. Which Apex are you on? I moved to Hawaii a year ago when my Army daughter decided to finally have a baby, but I will be returning to Arizona in July.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podie said:

Yes, most of us are on Facebook and keep in touch. Which Apex are you on? I moved to Hawaii a year ago when my Army daughter decided to finally have a baby, but I will be returning to Arizona in July.

Hi Celeste, I am not on Apex. I am sailing on Silversea. Brand new ship called The Moon🙂

I haven't sailed with Celebrity in over 4 years.   Congrats on becoming a new Grandma!😃

On 5/4/2021 at 1:36 PM, Lois R said:

Hi Celeste, I am not on Apex. I am sailing on Silversea. Brand new ship called The Moon

Great that Lois and others have cruises planned for Greece this summer.  Any reactions to the below article from this major U.S. newspaper?  Does anyone feel any sense of "risk" for doing these upcoming "adventures" to Europe and Greece?  Am I being too pessimistic in sharing this article and raising these questions/concerns?

From the New York Times Travel Section today to be published this weekend, they had this headline: “‘We Cannot Wait Until June’: Greece’s Reopening Gamble" with this sub-headline: "In easing its restrictions, the country, largely dependent on tourist dollars, has jumped ahead of a broader European Union plan to welcome visitors from outside the bloc.”

Here are some of their story highlights: “Greece has reopened to many overseas visitors,jumping ahead of most of its European neighbors in restarting tourism, even as the country’s hospitals remain full and more than three-quarters of Greeks are still unvaccinated.  It’s a big bet, but given the importance of tourism to the Greek economy — the sector accounts for one quarter of the country’s work force and more than 20 percent of gross domestic product — the country’s leaders are eager to roll out the welcome mat.  And although the U.S. State Department recently added Greece to its long list of countries with the designation 'Level 4: Do Not Travel.'  Greek officials maintain that — with social distancing measures and testing protocols, alongside the warming weather — tourism in the country will be safe, for visitors and residents alike.  In easing its border restrictions, Greece has jumped ahead of a broader European Union reopening. Among European Union members, Croatia and Cyprus have also already opened to vaccinated and Covid-negative tourists. President Emmanuel Macron of France announced last week that, if the country’s epidemiological situation allows, the country will open on June 9 to all non-European Union visitors, provided that they carry a 'health passport,' details of which have yet to be announced. Outside the European Union, but still within Europe, Iceland, Montenegro and Serbia have already taken steps to ease their border restrictions, including for American visitors.  According to the current rules, visitors arriving from the United States, the European Union, Britain, South Korea, Australia and a handful of other countries are now allowed quarantine-free entry into Greece, on the condition that travelers provide proof of Covid vaccination or a negative PCR test taken up to 72 hours before their arrival. Arriving visitors may also be subject to random, obligatory rapid tests at the airport; anyone with a positive result will be required to quarantine at a Greek hotel along with their traveling companions for at least 10 days, at the expense of the Greek government.”

Here is more from their highly-detailed reporting: "Greece has been in various stages of lockdown since November, with residents subject to a curfew and limits on movement within the country. Shops, schools and cultural institutions have been forced to close, while restaurants and bars have been limited to takeaway service only.  The restrictions gutted the lively cafe culture in Athens, where the past winter was even quieter than usual, said Georgia Nakou, a political and economic analyst for the media outlet MacroPolis. But compliance with the rules has slackened as the weather has warmed, and many Greeks have begun congregating in large numbers in the squares of central Athens. Everyone, it seems, is ready for a break."

Full story at:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/travel/greece-travel-covid-usa.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 38,377 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Great that Lois and others have cruises planned for Greece this summer.  Any reactions to the below article from this major U.S. newspaper?  Does anyone feel any sense of "risk" for doing these upcoming "adventures" to Europe and Greece?  Am I being too pessimistic in sharing this article and raising these questions/concerns?

From the New York Times Travel Section today to be published this weekend, they had this headline: “‘We Cannot Wait Until June’: Greece’s Reopening Gamble" with this sub-headline: "In easing its restrictions, the country, largely dependent on tourist dollars, has jumped ahead of a broader European Union plan to welcome visitors from outside the bloc.”

Here are some of their story highlights: “Greece has reopened to many overseas visitors,jumping ahead of most of its European neighbors in restarting tourism, even as the country’s hospitals remain full and more than three-quarters of Greeks are still unvaccinated.  It’s a big bet, but given the importance of tourism to the Greek economy — the sector accounts for one quarter of the country’s work force and more than 20 percent of gross domestic product — the country’s leaders are eager to roll out the welcome mat.  And although the U.S. State Department recently added Greece to its long list of countries with the designation 'Level 4: Do Not Travel.'  Greek officials maintain that — with social distancing measures and testing protocols, alongside the warming weather — tourism in the country will be safe, for visitors and residents alike.  In easing its border restrictions, Greece has jumped ahead of a broader European Union reopening. Among European Union members, Croatia and Cyprus have also already opened to vaccinated and Covid-negative tourists. President Emmanuel Macron of France announced last week that, if the country’s epidemiological situation allows, the country will open on June 9 to all non-European Union visitors, provided that they carry a 'health passport,' details of which have yet to be announced. Outside the European Union, but still within Europe, Iceland, Montenegro and Serbia have already taken steps to ease their border restrictions, including for American visitors.  According to the current rules, visitors arriving from the United States, the European Union, Britain, South Korea, Australia and a handful of other countries are now allowed quarantine-free entry into Greece, on the condition that travelers provide proof of Covid vaccination or a negative PCR test taken up to 72 hours before their arrival. Arriving visitors may also be subject to random, obligatory rapid tests at the airport; anyone with a positive result will be required to quarantine at a Greek hotel along with their traveling companions for at least 10 days, at the expense of the Greek government.”

Here is more from their highly-detailed reporting: "Greece has been in various stages of lockdown since November, with residents subject to a curfew and limits on movement within the country. Shops, schools and cultural institutions have been forced to close, while restaurants and bars have been limited to takeaway service only.  The restrictions gutted the lively cafe culture in Athens, where the past winter was even quieter than usual, said Georgia Nakou, a political and economic analyst for the media outlet MacroPolis. But compliance with the rules has slackened as the weather has warmed, and many Greeks have begun congregating in large numbers in the squares of central Athens. Everyone, it seems, is ready for a break."

Full story at:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/travel/greece-travel-covid-usa.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 38,377 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Does anyone feel any sense of risk? I have been living in Hawaii for the past year and feel more at risk by all the tourists here (yes, tourism is booming in Hawaii) who refuse to abide by our mask orders. I am fully vaccinated and do feel some sense of relief (not invulnerability) knowing my immune system will at least recognize and fight Covid-19 if I'm exposed. I believe it's time to ease back into life. The tourists here in Hawaii have basically forced us to do that. Based on what I see here, a day visit to Santorini, Rhodes, and Israel, while traveling on a new ultra-clean ship, is a good way to break back into normalcy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Does anyone feel any sense of "risk" for doing these upcoming "adventures" to Europe and Greece?  Am I being too pessimistic in sharing this article and raising these questions/concerns?

Whilst I really don't want to see this thread turn into yet another covid discussion, could I just say that during the past (approx) 12 months, while most of Europe had shut down travel except for essential reasons, I have been stunned to read on these boards of people in U.S. travelling major distances in their trailers/RV's etc, while the mortalities and infection rate soared.  Please don't take this as a political complaint, it is mentioned solely to show that Europe takes its precautions just as seriously as the majority of Americans.  DW already has already received both shots of Pfizer vaccine and I will receive my second shot this coming Saturday.  As the vaccine supplies ramp up, more and more Europeans will be fully vaccinated.  Personally, I would have no difficulty in heading to Spain, Italy or indeed Greece by mid summer.  

(I have re-read this several times and do not believe that anyone could take offence from any of my comment, but if anyone does take offence, I apologize in advance, as no slight was intended).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Whilst I really don't want to see this thread turn into yet another covid discussion, could I just say that during the past (approx) 12 months, while most of Europe had shut down travel except for essential reasons, I have been stunned to read on these boards of people in U.S. travelling major distances in their trailers/RV's etc, while the mortalities and infection rate soared.  Please don't take this as a political complaint, it is mentioned solely to show that Europe takes its precautions just as seriously as the majority of Americans.  DW already has already received both shots of Pfizer vaccine and I will receive my second shot this coming Saturday.  As the vaccine supplies ramp up, more and more Europeans will be fully vaccinated.  Personally, I would have no difficulty in heading to Spain, Italy or indeed Greece by mid summer.  

(I have re-read this several times and do not believe that anyone could take offence from any of my comment, but if anyone does take offence, I apologize in advance, as no slight was intended).

Hi,  we all have different views on this topic and as for turning it into a covid thread, its ok as long as everyone stays civil🙂 

The question was about risk.  Terry, do I feel I am putting myself at risk by taking this cruise? I guess my answer is I am willing to take the chance.  Brand new ship that only holds 600 and from what I have been told, they will not sail full so less guests. My tours will be through the cruise line.  My flight? Business Class so I won't be sitting thisclose to the next person.   I have been fully vaccinated and I feel fine with my decision!   I really want to go away and this is my chance😀

As I read the evidence, now that I am vaccinated the chance of me giving a deadly case to someone or getting one myself is less likely than getting hit by lightning. I'm way more nervous about car travel.

That said, the big unknown is whether sites will be open, will Greece have second thoughts, will someone get sick on the ship and shut everything down, etc. I don't have anyway to predict the odds, but it is pretty high something weird happens. I've just decided I need to roll with it since the chance to travel with my 20 year old son to Greece may not come again. I was supposed to take a train across Canada with my other son when Covid hit and I'm not sure we will ever get back to taking that trip. First world problems and all that but it makes me want to seize the day.

I also think there's a good chance this summer is the best time to travel and we may have more shut downs this fall or winter. 

On 5/6/2021 at 10:55 PM, irvington said:

As I read the evidence, now that I am vaccinated the chance of me giving a deadly case to someone or getting one myself is less likely than getting hit by lightning. I'm way more nervous about car travel.

That said, the big unknown is whether sites will be open, will Greece have second thoughts, will someone get sick on the ship and shut everything down, etc. I don't have anyway to predict the odds, but it is pretty high something weird happens. I've just decided I need to roll with it since the chance to travel with my 20 year old son to Greece may not come again. I was supposed to take a train across Canada with my other son when Covid hit and I'm not sure we will ever get back to taking that trip. First world problems and all that but it makes me want to seize the day.

I also think there's a good chance this summer is the best time to travel and we may have more shut downs this fall or winter. 

You raise some excellent points.  DW and I debated long and hard before we decided to make a major financial commitment to return to Greece this July for both a 14 day cruise and some additional island hopping time.  We have previously been to Greece many times and have always enjoyed our visits.  After carefully reviewing the news in Greece it became obvious that the Greek government has made a major commitment to opening up to tourism on May 15 (they have already quietly opened up many facets).   They have also adopted policies to make it easier for International visitors to enter Greece (you only need proof of vaccination) and have adopted an official policy of prioritizing the vaccination of residents on the many Greek Islands (the major tourist draw).   While anything can happen in this crazy COVID world we feel confident that Greece will do everything possible to encourage and support tourism this summer season.  In fact, Greece is leading the world with this effort (Croatia is not far behind as is Cyprus).  While other European countries are doing lots of talking, Greece is actually "doing."   The downside is that many Europeans (from all over the EU) will also be heading to Greece since it is one of the few countries truly welcoming tourists.   The Greek Islands (and to a lesser degree the mainland) are going to be very busy starting next week.

My advice to folks thinking about going to Greece is book your hotel reservations now!  We did this a few weeks ago and quickly found that many of the most desirable hotels/inns on various Greek Islands were either booked or quickly filling up.  I think the last minute traveler to Greece this summer might have lots of trouble finding a decent place to stay.

Hank

Update on vaccinations in Greece:

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1161715/vaccinations-in-greece-top-5-million/

And vaccinations in the islands.  Good news for Santorini, Rhodes, Corfu, Mykonos and others.  Not so good for Cephalonia, Zakynthos, Lesvos and Samos.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1161598/discrepancies-in-island-inoculation-speeds/

21 hours ago, marazul said:

Update on vaccinations in Greece:

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1161715/vaccinations-in-greece-top-5-million/

And vaccinations in the islands.  Good news for Santorini, Rhodes, Corfu, Mykonos and others.  Not so good for Cephalonia, Zakynthos, Lesvos and Samos.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1161598/discrepancies-in-island-inoculation-speeds/

Thanks for sharing, good information to have.

This is good.  Thanks marazul.  We are hoping that we might be able to fly into Athens and island hop our way to Crete and then possibly to Cyprus in the fall/late fall.  

If we go it will a very last minute departure and it will very much depend on the covid situation.

Edited by iancal

• 4 weeks later...

We will skip Athens.   We have been there before a number of times.  Plan to  go directly to Piraeus from ATH, then  island hop on our own  through the Cyclades and finish up in Crete for a few weeks.  Then fly home from Heraklion.

17 hours ago, iancal said:

We will skip Athens.   We have been there before a number of times.  Plan to  go directly to Piraeus from ATH, then  island hop on our own  through the Cyclades and finish up in Crete for a few weeks.  Then fly home from Heraklion.

We are following a similar itinerary.  Our plans do not include going into Athens (have been there many times) but we do have a turn around day in Pireaus (between back to back cruises) when we could jump on the Green Line and head into Athens for the day.  Whether that happens will likely depend on the weather since Athens is not normally a good place to be in August (too darn hot).

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We are following a similar itinerary.  Our plans do not include going into Athens (have been there many times) but we do have a turn around day in Pireaus (between back to back cruises) when we could jump on the Green Line and head into Athens for the day.  Whether that happens will likely depend on the weather since Athens is not normally a good place to be in August (too darn hot).

Hank

On one trip we stayed in Glyfada for a few days.  Very different.   The airport bus dropped us off near our hotel and we had a choice of bus or tram into Athens.  Very convenient.  Easy for us we each only have a light carry on bag.   

We may end up taking a ferry from Rafina instead of Piraeus...depends on our itinerary.  Never been there.

Edited by iancal

We are heading to the Dodecanese for a couple of weeks and had planned to stay in Glyfada before our cruise. However, a friend decided to join us on the cruise and we will meet up in Athens for a couple of very hot days. Glyfada next time.

32 minutes ago, marazul said:

We are heading to the Dodecanese for a couple of weeks and had planned to stay in Glyfada before our cruise. However, a friend decided to join us on the cruise and we will meet up in Athens for a couple of very hot days. Glyfada next time.

Marazul...we have a list of preferred islands but we have not yet looked at the various ferry scheds to determine what route looks best for 'fitting in' some of the those islands to the ferry routes.   Are the routes getting back to normal or are they being pared back?

Are the ferries from Dodecanese Islands to Turkey operating?  Any restrictions that you are aware of?

As an aside, we thought the restaurants we tried in Glyfada were excellent.  In most instances better than many in Athens.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Marazul...we have a list of preferred islands but we have not yet looked at the various ferry scheds to determine what route looks best for 'fitting in' some of the those islands to the ferry routes.   Are the routes getting back to normal or are they being pared back?

Are the ferries from Dodecanese Islands to Turkey operating?  Any restrictions that you are aware of?

As an aside, we thought the restaurants we tried in Glyfada were excellent.  In most instances better than many in Athens.

iancal,

The ferries to and around the Greek islands seem to be back to normal. Unfortunately, the ferries to Turkey are not. We wanted to do a day trip Kos-Bodrum, so we are hoping that they will be running by mid-August. 

We haven't done it, but some of our friends have a place in Rafina and take ferries from there. Apparently, it is a very pleasant beach town.  We will have to visit one of these days... 

We will miss Glyfada this time. At least we got a hotel with a pool in central Athens.

I remember going in late May and the heat being a killer. Still loved seeing the Acropolis though, and I hope others get the chance.

I would think crowds would still be smaller than usual. If so I definitely would recommend the Acropolis. It was so crowded when it went (I think there were a couple ships in port).