CURRENT HOLLAND AMERIC's COVID PROTOCOLS

mcrcruiser

11 hours ago, harkinmr said:

That is a great question.  Who will cruise?  It sure sounds like there is a good amount of demand for the North American cruises that are starting up, as well as some of the newly planned cruises for the Greek Isles and the UK.  So apparently there are people willing to sail with some very strict protocols, plus a vaccine requirement.  As I said in an earlier post, I am reluctant to spend a good deal of money to cruise under circumstances that may impact my enjoyment of a cruise.  That being said, I fully support all of the health protocols and follow them religiously in my own life, and am fully vaccinated as of this past Wednesday.  I am concerned about my cruise being interrupted by quarantine or cancellation and associated circumstances.  Finally,  perhaps a deeper concern I have is the potential for conflict on cruises under protocols whether between passengers and cruise line staff or between passenger and passenger.  I want no part of that experience.  My hope is all of the initial cruises go well, that everyone enjoys themselves and I hear great things.  I will look forward to my Spring and Fall 2022 cruises, provided they occur as scheduled.    

I wonder how much of the demand will fall off the table once protocols are announced.

For instance, we really would like to take some sort of vacation. We saw that American Steamboat Cruise line was requiring all passengers and crew to be vaccinated for their river boat cruises starting July 1. OK, sounds good, and I signed up for their catalogue. Researching further, just like European river cruises, they included the excursions. Their catalogue said they used hop on hop off buses and gave you admission tickets to the various attractions in the ports. Sounds good, freedom to explore.

But then I read that they are not doing that. No hop on hop off buses, rather the infamous bubble excursions. And like you bubble excursions are not something I want any part of.

And there will be others who want to cruise, and do the same. And there will be others who say if masks are required, that is no longer a cruise I want. And the same for vaccines required or not required.

22 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I wonder how much of the demand will fall off the table once protocols are announced.

Interesting because I wonder how much demand will Rise once protocols are announced.

Joseph

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

For instance, we really would like to take some sort of vacation. We saw that American Steamboat Cruise line was requiring all passengers and crew to be vaccinated for their river boat cruises starting July 1. OK, sounds good, and I signed up for their catalogue. Researching further, just like European river cruises, they included the excursions. Their catalogue said they used hop on hop off buses and gave you admission tickets to the various attractions in the ports. Sounds good, freedom to explore.

But then I read that they are not doing that. No hop on hop off buses, rather the infamous bubble excursions. And like you bubble excursions are not something I want any part of.

And there will be others who want to cruise, and do the same. And there will be others who say if masks are required, that is no longer a cruise I want. And the same for vaccines required or not required.

I think you raise a good point.  At least for the North America cruises, a number of the lines have said "final protocols" will be available 30 days from sailing.  The lines have implied that protocols could change.  They may, but I don't think anytime soon.  I think the cruise lines are delaying release because of pushback so far.  By the time cruisers see the final protocols they are locked in.  I'm not sure that will work out well for the lines.  And that could impact future reservations as well.  But at the same time, I think most of the newly reserved cruisers should know what they are getting themselves into.  It is fairly obvious what restart cruises are like elsewhere in the world.  Those who reserved before the pandemic have more of bone to pick and argument for a full refund.  JMO.

Edited by harkinmr

To be totally honest, what we are waiting for besides protocols is the number of ships and the number of passengers on each ship comes back home with Covid infections. Luckily our next cruise isn't until October 2022, but would really love to do a holiday cruise at the end if this year if we could feel reassured.

Once I am satisfied that zero infections come back to home port THEN we will feel comfortable sailing.

But that is just how we have decided to proceed.

Joseph

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 3:10 PM, mcrcruiser said:

As more & more people get vaccinated   there would be far less danger  to go ashore  individually .This may take several months   to accomplish  once cruising starts but imo ,it shouldn't take  the cruise lines longer for individual tours  in most parts of the developed world  . Having all pax & crew vaccinated would lead to a clean voyage  .They may pre test at the pier  but ,that is fine   .just bring your vaccine CDC cards with your pass ports 

There are countries that are not yet allowing non-citizens to enter them.  

46 minutes ago, BlackJack2 said:

If bookings are linked, will HAL allow the linked parties to sit at the same table for dining?  

My understanding from way back when was yes.  You would be considered part of family.  But at the time my TA and I discussed this and HAL had stipulated it, it was long ago and everyone thought that the pandemic would be well past the level we are at now.

Who knows what the real rules will be once the ships start to sail.  We need to be told and before final payment.  JMO.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:44 AM, mcrcruiser said:

Here are the protocols from HAL's web site .Princess has the same  . Excursions right now are via ship only  excursions

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory/traveling-and-staying-healthy/covid-guest-protocols.html

I can live with these directives.

• Like 1