Princess EZ Air, flexible vs restricted

CHK

Other than the obvious--that the restricted fares seem to be so much higher than flexible--what are the benefits/risks of using the flexible option? After selecting a flight time, class and airline, can those be changed without our knowledge/approval prior to the cruise or at ticketing 45 days prior to the cruise? Was planning on booking business class for a long flight to Europe. Any positive or negative experiences using EZ Air will be welcome.  Thanks

For travel from North America to Europe, the cost savings can be substantial. As an example, our Biz Class fare to Barcelona is less than 1/2 the price that the airline itself quotes on its website.

Plus, you don't have to pay for it until you pay for your cruise.

5 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

For travel from North America to Europe, the cost savings can be substantial. As an example, our Biz Class fare to Barcelona is less than 1/2 the price that the airline itself quotes on its website.

Plus, you don't have to pay for it until you pay for your cruise.

Thanks for your reply. I'm just concerned that they might pull a switcheroo on us at the last minute. Heaven knows, the airlines themselves have done this to us many times, cancelling a flight and replacing it with another one that leaves within minutes of the original one but since we lose our seat assignments we get shifted to seats that are not together.

They will only change your flight if the airline you booked changes it schedule.  This happens frequently on flights booked well in advance.  If you do not like the flight you have been assigned just call EzAir and they will work with you on getting a flight that works for your schedule.  It is no different if you are flexible or restricted.   Remember to check the EzAir prices regularly so you can take advantage of any price drop.  It's a great program especially in the world today.

Edited by franktown
add
  • Like 2

The only downside is if the government taxes/fees are increased, you would need to pay that if you go with the flexible option.  Other than that, don't see why restricted is better than flexible if prices are not better.

Airlines can switch your flights even if you go with the restricted option, since Princess does not control the schedules.

2 hours ago, CHK said:

Other than the obvious--that the restricted fares seem to be so much higher than flexible--what are the benefits/risks of using the flexible option? After selecting a flight time, class and airline, can those be changed without our knowledge/approval prior to the cruise or at ticketing 45 days prior to the cruise? Was planning on booking business class for a long flight to Europe. Any positive or negative experiences using EZ Air will be welcome.  Thanks

The big advantage is that you can cancel or Flexible EzAir up to 45 days before the cruise. After that you are subject to airline rules and fees.

Changes can occur if and when the airline changes their flight schedule. This would occur no matter if you choose the restricted or flexible fare. Flexible fares are the way to go. You can change them yourself if the price goes down, or the flight schedule changes up to 45 days before the flight. Payment is due at the time of the final payment for the cruise, usually 90 days prior to sailing. Once booked you can keep checking by doing a mock cruise. EZ Air is the way to go for 1st/business class to Europe. Very good pricing.

Flexible all the way.  Even with restricted you are not immune to airline rescheduling.  

Used EZAir R/T from Florida to OZ connecting through ATL and LAX.  Airline rescheduled and gave us a 30 minute window in ATL - unworkable but "legal."  Worked with them to rebook out of MCO instead of TPA and saved $800 on the rebooking.  Good people and knowledgeable at EZAir.  On the other hand had RCG's air people reschedule us once between TPA and YQB with three (3!) stops.  Rebooked that one with an overnight at EWR...

12 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I have read many positives post regarding Princess air. 
As clarification though (maybe what @CHK was asking.) is are these consolidator tickets? 

Don't believe so.  EZAir works directly with the airline to book flights and make changes.  A "consolidator" doesn't do that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tillys mom said:

In talking to the EZAir folks about flights, they have told me that they can only offer the flights that the airlines make available to them.

And they do not work with all airlines.

On 4/18/2021 at 1:11 PM, CHK said:

Thanks for your reply. I'm just concerned that they might pull a switcheroo on us at the last minute. Heaven knows, the airlines themselves have done this to us many times, cancelling a flight and replacing it with another one that leaves within minutes of the original one but since we lose our seat assignments we get shifted to seats that are not together.

As with any booked flight it is best to check your flight status periodically. 

An airline moved us from a one stop flight to a two stop flight where in the connecting flight left for NY an hour before the first leg landed.  I had to scramble to get a one stop flight instead, with connecting flight from an altogether different city, Boston.  I wasn't notified; only noticed through a periodic check.  Princess handled the change, although I had to go back and forth between the airline and Princess.  Worked out, mostly.  One reason to discover these changes early, is that, you can get a better choice before others discover a flight is cancelled or unsatisfactorily modified.

15 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Don't believe so.  EZAir works directly with the airline to book flights and make changes.  A "consolidator" doesn't do that.

Thanks for your reply and will call them to be certain before final payment.

I know Celebrity, Oceania, and one other we sailed with use consolidator tickets.

Personally we have used consolidator tickets many times but, people should take 15 minutes to study their pros and cons before purchasing them (we learned the hard way the first time).

Cheers,

John 

16 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

They are sometimes bulk fares. Sometimes get FF miles credited, sometimes not, depending on airline and fare code.

But savings have been substantial and flexible.

5 hours ago, franktown said:

Cannot use airline credits or miles on EzAir.  Have tried.  Credits can only be used with the airline.

But if you book with Princess air, you could then contact the airline and use credits for an upgrade.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

But if you book with Princess air, you could then contact the airline and use credits for an upgrade.

When I tried to do that with AA they told me that it couldn't be done until EzAir had the flight ticketed. When I called EzAir they said I could have they flight ticketed early buy paying for the flight but then it would no longer be flexible and that they ticket the flight about 45 days out.  By the time it was ticketed there was no longer any seats available on AA to upgrade to.

31 minutes ago, franktown said:

When I tried to do that with AA they told me that it couldn't be done until EzAir had the flight ticketed. When I called EzAir they said I could have they flight ticketed early buy paying for the flight but then it would no longer be flexible and that they ticket the flight about 45 days out.  By the time it was ticketed there was no longer any seats available on AA to upgrade to.

Similar with United. In addition United does not allow you to upgrade, even by paying, from economy to premium economy until they receive payment from EZ Air. United in 2020 also did not honor the free luggage benefit from owing their credit card. Prior to 2020 they did. 

Some down sides might be EZair does not always have the cheapest flights offered  by the airline.   You should check both before deciding. EZair does not always offer the most direct flights.  We have found EZair to be great for  International flights.

It's been awhile, but I requested early ticketing for a Delta flight so that I could switch to Delta comfort.  It was about 3 or 4 months before final payment for the cruise so I did have to pay in full for the ticket before contacting Delta to change to Comfort seating.  Princess at one time required an Early Ticketing Form Request be submitted but the last time I only had to make a phone call to get the flight ticketed early.

4 hours ago, waltd said:

Some down sides might be EZair does not always have the cheapest flights offered  by the airline.   You should check both before deciding. EZair does not always offer the most direct flights.  We have found EZair to be great for  International flights.

Agree, but in these times when no cruise on the books is a certainty for actually taking place, booking a flexible fare with Princess is better than a non-refundable fare directly with an airline, even if it costs a little more or is not the best routing.

The ability to not have to deal with a non-refundable fare if Princess cancels the cruise is worth the routing inconvenience or a few extra $$ on domestic flights. If your cruise becomes more of a certainty enough in advance, you can charge to better flights/pricing with the airline if still within the flexible fare cancel with no penalty period.

I always book Flexible with EzAir and modify it.  Near final payment I check prices of the airline and compare the price with EzAir and take the cheapest.

Booking with the airline you are locked with the price when you purchase.  Flexible with EzAir no payment until final cruise payment and can still modify/cancel up to 45 days of your cruise.