Is Sky Princess mini-suite bathtub too high for a challenged person?

barante

My partner prefers showers because they are easier to negotiate. But Sky Princess mini-suites come only with a bathtub that you have to climb into in order to take a shower.

She was ambivalent after seeing youtube videos about that bathtub. Has that posed a challenge to anyone who actually cruised o the Sky?

Although not disabled, I do have difficulty getting into a tub.  We always book a mini suite and I’ve found that the grab bar is close enough to assist me in lifting my leg over the top of the tub to get in and out.  It depends on your level of mobility, so it might be more difficult for you.  For me the extra space of the mini suite is worth the inconvenience of the tub.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Although not disabled, I do have difficulty getting into a tub.  We always book a mini suite and I’ve found that the grab bar is close enough to assist me in lifting my leg over the top of the tub to get in and out.  It depends on your level of mobility, so it might be more difficult for you.  For me the extra space of the mini suite is worth the inconvenience of the tub.

I am disabled with a permanent balance disorder and with the help of the grab bar and my foot firmly on the floor mat, I have no difficulties getting in and out.

• Like 1

DW has mobility problems with her knees, and we do not book mini-suites on Princess ships. She has problems stepping into a tub.

We book either a balcony or outside cabin or a full suite. Even though the showers in balcony and outside cabins are small, they are much easier for her to use.

They are about 22" tall but you can ask Princess to provide a shower bench that will allow an individual to sit and then pivot into the shower and stand up. It is much safer. Princess suggested one two years ago for my Mother's Cabin. It worked great. 

• Like 2

I am typically-abled and 6’4”.  I think they are high.  That said, the tub is significantly higher as you get in as opposed to getting out.  I wonder if a small step could be used on the outside of the tub to accommodate a person.

I would say yes.   Besides the step up getting in and the awkward step down getting out the tub walls have a curve to them in the bottom of the tub.   You have to be sure you place your foot closer to the center of the tub when entering.   For someone tall like myself once inside the tub the ceiling height is low.   

If you try it and decide it is too difficult to get in and out, ask for a tub transfer bench, or use the showers in the fitness center. I haven't been on the Sky, but the on ships I have been on they are really nice stall showers.

I am an active walker, stair-climber, and regular exercise person.  Yet I have always found the Princess mini suite tubs to be high and difficult.  Just sayin'

I often have a Princess mini suite, on many dfferent Princess ships, including  Golden, Grand, Star, Diamond,  Sapphire, Emerald and Ruby.  

What about sitting on the edge of the tub, swivel around so your feet are inside the tub, reach over to the grab bar and pull yourself up to standing.  I find getting out of the tub easier than getting in....just one step down, but I hold onto the grab bar till my foot reaches the floor.  Just a suggestion that may work for you.

You can request a shower bench. What I do is put the bench beside the outside of the tub. I sit down and then my husband puts my leg closest to the shower into the tub. I stand up and he transfers the bench into the tub. I sit down and he transfers my outside leg into the tub. This works but I prefer to get an accessible cabin as it is much safer, easier to use, and has room for my wheelchair. You can waitlist for an accessible cabin when you are in a standard cabin.

• Like 1

We were discussing the tub situation and mini suites. We have had tubs in the past and find them more difficult to use than a shower. The sides were higher to enter and exit. The standing area was rounded on the sides, uncomfortable. The shower head was too low. We thought it might be good marketing on new builds to have some minis with larger showers and some with the standard tubs, maybe 50% of each.

• Like 3