Sailing on a chartered theme cruise while not being part of the charter group?

23 hours ago, island lady said:

No it was a very strict religious group.  

I believe I know the group you are referring to.  We were on with them in 2020 and had no issues other that the Solarium Bistro being closed to all others.  I know in previous years there had been many issues posted about that group.

On our very first cruise in 1978 we had a a group that was about 1/3 of the capacity of the ship.  They would take over and close different public areas every day.  This was back in the days when jacket and tie was the standard after 6pm but many of them would be hanging out in the bars in their scruffy jeans.   For the last sea day they invited anyone that cared to do it could spend the day with them in a lounge and be in their show.   The group was the cast and crew of The Love Boat TV show. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Vroooooooooooom - Vroooooooooooom - Vroooooooooooom!!!!! I guess that is a Hogs call??????

Nope. At idle it's more like  pop-pop...pop-pop...pop-pop...  or potato...potato...potato...☠️

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

I believe I know the group you are referring to.  We were on with them in 2020 and had no issues other that the Solarium Bistro being closed to all others.  I know in previous years there had been many issues posted about that group.

The ones we were on with had taken over Wipe Out Cafe each day (and wow what a mess they made in there!!).   Also took over Blaze each night.  

2 hours ago, island lady said:

The ones we were on with had taken over Wipe Out Cafe each day (and wow what a mess they made in there!!).   Also took over Blaze each night.  

It is the same group.  I had heard that they had done that in previous years.  Maybe they learned to behave better or maybe we were just good at ignoring them.

15 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

It is the same group.  I had heard that they had done that in previous years.  Maybe they learned to behave better or maybe we were just good at ignoring them.

Felt bad for the officer we talked to.  He was not only miserable for himself, but for his crew as well.  He said one of them even took a picture of his name badge to "send to corporate and report him".   He said he just stood there confused as to what the man thought he had done.  

They were horrible during disembarkation, pushing and shoving their way to front of the line to get to customs agents.  Crew seemed scared to say anything to them.  

21 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

On our very first cruise in 1978 we had a a group that was about 1/3 of the capacity of the ship.  They would take over and close different public areas every day.  This was back in the days when jacket and tie was the standard after 6pm but many of them would be hanging out in the bars in their scruffy jeans.   For the last sea day they invited anyone that cared to do it could spend the day with them in a lounge and be in their show.   The group was the cast and crew of The Love Boat TV show. 

I hope it was on a princess ship 😁😁

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 9:13 AM, WI-Cruiser said:

Just found out our 27 March 2022 Oasis cruise is hosting the “Legends of Pittsburgh Steelers” cruise.  My understanding is that they’re not chartering the entire ship, just reserving a huge block of cabins for about 1000 - 1200 people, so our reservation is probably safe. 

We’re considering rebooking.  My concern is the impact on our cruising experience.  I’m sure there will be special events for attendees that will likely restrict our access to certain venues at times and expect the whole 'vibe' of the cruise will be different.

Has anyone sailed on similar cruises and if so, how was your experience?

I've two heard first hand experiences that unless you're getting a killer deal on it or have your mind and heart set on that particular sailing that it's best to avoid altogether. Charter groups often have big sections of bars, buffet and pool area closed off for themselves. They also have priority debarking so getting off on port is a big PITA. They sometime hold events in common areas and those are closed completely to regular passengers. If you're OK with that arrangement, then cruise away otherwise move dates if possible.

Edited by coldflame
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, island lady said:

Great clip....I think I heard some potato at the end there.  😉 

Right on. 👍There's another creed within the HD community. "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand". Kathy gets it but she doesn't ride with me. Scares her plus she hates the helmet hair look. 

Back on topic. 2016 we did a B2B Caribbean cruise on Celebrity's Equinox out of Miami. There was a small group (about 25 bikes) that book with a TA out of Miami that specializes in Caribbean cruises for bikers. Something I have no interest in doing. I met the owner and his wife and talked with them about the biker cruises. He was at one time a CD before starting his business.  I even bought one of their logo T-shirts. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

Just now, Blizzard54 said:

yes, it was on the old Island Princess.  I enjoy watching that old episode from time to time.  For some reason I look a little different than I do now.

Caught an episode when we took the land yacht (with limited TV stations) out for a few days.  I laughed at myself and told Bucky.... "Wow...I am so cruise starved, I am down to watching old Love Boat shows".  😉  

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Caught an episode when we took the land yacht (with limited TV stations) out for a few days.  I laughed at myself and told Bucky.... "Wow...I am so cruise starved, I am down to watching old Love Boat shows".  😉  

Don't forget to watch Gilligan's Island too. I often wondered if the folks had to pay extra for going over the 3 hour tour.................one really needs to read their excursion tickets fine print!!!!!!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

We occasionally watch them also

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Pictures from the episode we are in.  Not good quality taken of TV screen.

20210131_152953.jpg

20210131_152902.jpg

20210131_152031.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I never knew this.   This would p** me off outside of the pool.

Yes. It all depends on arrangements the chartering company made with cruise line -- which are unknown to the rest of travelers until it's too late and cruise lines generally won't tell pax ahead of time what limitations their cruise will have which is a bit sleazy, IMO.

On 4/23/2021 at 9:13 AM, WI-Cruiser said:

Just found out our 27 March 2022 Oasis cruise is hosting the “Legends of Pittsburgh Steelers” cruise.  My understanding is that they’re not chartering the entire ship, just reserving a huge block of cabins for about 1000 - 1200 people, so our reservation is probably safe. 

We’re considering rebooking.  My concern is the impact on our cruising experience.  I’m sure there will be special events for attendees that will likely restrict our access to certain venues at times and expect the whole 'vibe' of the cruise will be different.

Has anyone sailed on similar cruises and if so, how was your experience?

I think you got lucky.  "Here we Steelers, here we go"  😀

1 hour ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

The Amish are cruising now?😄

That is not who she was referring to but yes they are.  We were on a cruise with a group of Amish just before the shut down.  It was within a couple weeks of that other group.  We were on for 5 weeks and there was quite a variety of groups during that time.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Don't forget to watch Gilligan's Island too. I often wondered if the folks had to pay extra for going over the 3 hour tour.................one really needs to read their excursion tickets fine print!!!!!!

Guilty...used to watch that show many years ago.  Not sure why.  😮  I think I had a crush on the Professor as a kid.  😄