Single cruiser

Kustomcars

Are you looking for someone to share a cabin with? Cruise Critic doesn’t offer that. There may be travel agencies that will match up cabin mates, but you would need to Google it and see what comes up.

Or are you looking for a cruise that has a singles group on board? Again, TA’s usually organize those.

You can also check these threads on Cruise Critic.

I have been a solo traveler since 2010, so if you have specific questions, I could maybe answer.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/85-singles-cruises/

Edited by crzndeb

Some older ships have a few single cabins, some new Norwegian Cruise Line ships (incl Norwegian Epic) have a section of single cabins, together with their own lounge (don't know the details, perhaps those who do can chip in)

But most cruise ships offer nothing smaller than double-occupancy cabins - and headline prices quoted are per person sharing a double-occupancy cabin.

For single-occupancy of a double cabin the price is double the per-person rate ☹️ .

And sometimes the prices are MORE than double. This is because cruise lines make money on passengers' on-board spend (drinks, shore excursions, speciality dining etc etc etc) and two people spend twice as much as one.

One possible positive - if a ship is seriously under-booked close to sailing date, a singleton might be able to negotiate a double cabin for their one fare. This is because an under-occupied cabin is better than an un-occupied cabin, and one person spending money on the ship is better than none.  

It's tough for singletons, I wish you good luck

JB 🙂

9 hours ago, Kustomcars said:

Does Cruise Critic have a way to search and book cruises for a single traveler?

You do understand that Cruise Critic is a travel forum, not a travel agency.  You can research cruising here, but not book cruises.  EM

I am only looking for cruises that have rooms for single travelers. When I do the "Find a Cruise" there are never options for a single person type of cabin, only the usual "inside, ocean view, balcony, suite". I had been hearing that cruise lines had been catering more to singles, and haven't been "punishing" singles with 2 person room rates.

Hi Kustomcars,

Most people recognize that cruise lines aren't "punishing" singles in an cabin. Just like in a hotel they typically post the room/cabin rate, there is no discount for wanting a room/cabin for yourself.

There are some cruise lines that may occasionally not charge the full double fare, but that has never been a standard for any cruise line, and now with the pent up demand for cruises I would doubt you would find any cabins discounted in this way. NCL ships do have "single" occupant cabins,  but those are very often priced at a rate that would be more than if you paid the full double rate for an interior cabin.

Online you can find sites that will show how much the single supplement for any given cruise. Just do a search for solo cruising. You can also find sites that will have organized "singles" cruises, that will match you up with another person if you need. This site doesn't provide those functions. On this site read up on the "solo cruising" threads. There you will see possible good value for singles that others have found.

Nic6318 mentioned NCL and some RCI ships also have single cabins. However, as mentioned, they can sometimes cost more than just a regular double occupancy cabin. Normally you need to call the cruise line to see these.

I have mentioned in other threads, as a solo cruiser, I don’t think of it as a supplement. I look at a daily price for cabin, food, and entertainment, and several new ports.. I would be hard pressed to find a better deal, going to one city and getting a hotel for 7 nights, and that doesn’t include anything else. I have a set daily budget in my head and usually stick to that. Every so often, I may go a bit over, but that is usually for very unique destinations, in other countries or continents.