Risk a wedding on MSC in November, or go with Disney/Princess/Royal?

luvavacation

My family loved the elegance of the atmosphere and main atrium on our Divina and Seaside cruises.  We now have a daughter planning her wedding, and the happy couple would like to be married on the MSC cruise out of Orlando.  They are looking at end of November, 2021.  We are confident that cruises will be sailing by then, but we not going to firm up the plan for another month, just to see how things progress for cruising.

I have expressed concern over the lack of confidence in MSC's main operations sticking with what ship and dates are on the books right now for November.  I am not sure if we can trust MSC to not change everything before the wedding date.  It would be terrible if all the guests had booked the cabins, and suddenly the ship and date or port of departure changes on us.

Yet, we all really loved what MSC offered, and it sure would be a beautiful ship to be married on, and our extended family and friends would like the more European touches.

If this was your child, would you start planning that MSC wedding?  Or, would you choose a cruise line that you have experienced, also liked, and have a bit more confidence in their planning services and lack of future "surprises"? 

Princess is usually listed as the top cruise line for weddings, and we have also done 2 Royal cruises and 14 Disney.  Carnival is also a possibility, out of Port Canaveral, but it is at the bottom of the list.  We have not appreciated our Carnival cruises as much as our Disney cruises (but the cabin rate for Disney might price it out of the budget for some of our guests).  

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, luvavacation said:

My family loved the elegance of the atmosphere and main atrium on our Divina and Seaside cruises.  We now have a daughter planning her wedding, and the happy couple would like to be married on the MSC cruise out of Orlando.  They are looking at end of November, 2021.  We are confident that cruises will be sailing by then, but we not going to firm up the plan for another month, just to see how things progress for cruising.

Personally, I wouldn't be planning for a wedding on any cruise line out of the US for the rest of 2021.  While cruises might be sailing by late November (and if so, what protocols will they need to follow?), they also might not be.  What a disappointment and complication it would be for the happy couple and all the guests who have made plans and paid to attend!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Personally, I wouldn't be planning for a wedding on any cruise line out of the US for the rest of 2021.  While cruises might be sailing by late November (and if so, what protocols will they need to follow?), they also might not be.  What a disappointment and complication it would be for the happy couple and all the guests who have made plans and paid to attend!

Me neither , it is just so risky to plan a shipboard wedding when nothing is sailing 

• Like 1

Every ship (from all mainstream lines) that has started sailing again after COVID has started with a different deployment or route, with customers needing to rebook on the new cruises.  

My opinion is there's too much uncertainty to plan until you really know MSC will be sailing from Orlando, and on which ship.  It's one thing to check the status of your holiday daily, but another to be doing the same for your wedding.  

In your position I would either hold off on planning the wedding (if possible) or plan something less stressful.

Thanks for the opinions!  Much to think about. 

It is hard to be young and have your dream wedding location set on something that might not happen, but perhaps they shall have to come up with some other plan and maybe have the cruise be the honeymoon.  Less risk.  

Edited by luvavacation

The only consideration is whether MSC Divina will be in PC then.  There is still time to adjust schedules/ships/itineraries.   I firmly believe we will be sailing out of Miami and Port Canaveral and maybe even Fort Lauderdale after ‘mid-summer’ as stated by the CDC Director. Yes, I have lost 5 cruises due to COVID, but I will not let pessimism rule my life. If your daughter’s wish is a shipboard wedding go for it.  Find a well-placed, experienced MSC travel agent and see what they can do.  Personally, I’d go for a group of Yacht Club cabins.  I have been on the Meraviglia for a shipboard wedding and the YC staff really went over the top.

flame suit on.😀

Dennis

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, luvavacation said:

I have expressed concern over the lack of confidence in MSC's main operations sticking with what ship and dates are on the books right now for November.  I am not sure if we can trust MSC to not change everything before the wedding date.  It would be terrible if all the guests had booked the cabins, and suddenly the ship and date or port of departure changes on us.

Yet, we all really loved what MSC offered, and it sure would be a beautiful ship to be married on, and our extended family and friends would like the more European touches.

If this was your child, would you start planning that MSC wedding?  Or, would you choose a cruise line that you have experienced, also liked, and have a bit more confidence in their planning services and lack of future "surprises"? 

Princess is usually listed as the top cruise line for weddings, and we have also done 2 Royal cruises and 14 Disney.  Carnival is also a possibility, out of Port Canaveral, but it is at the bottom of the list.  We have not appreciated our Carnival cruises as much as our Disney cruises (but the cabin rate for Disney might price it out of the budget for some of our guests).  

Thoughts?

I'd think November is a pretty safe bet, that's 7 months from now. I believe the dust will have settled by then and cruising will return by mid- to late summer. I hope it works out, it sounds lovely!

I believe that 4 of my last 6 MSC cruises have been cancelled.  The 2 most recent were not related to coronavirus issues, nor was one of the others.

I would not risk a wedding on MSC's scheduling.  Other cruise lines are also risky, but less than MSC, in my view.

As a side note, they are also very, very poor at communicating these changes to their customers in a timely manner.  I still have not been informed as to my 2 most recent cancellations, even though I am certain that they have been cancelled.

My wife and I got married in 2007 on the RC Adventure of the Seas sailing from Puerto Rico, it was lovely. That feels like a lifetime ago now and I honestly I would be wary of attempting to get married on a cruise in 2021 since we haven't seen the industry get going from US ports yet. Getting married on a cruise ship involves a  lot of moving parts and currently thing are just really unstable. I'd hate for your daughter to get her heart set on a specific wedding/cruise date and then have that postponed due to Covid.

On 4/27/2021 at 3:37 PM, luvavacation said:

Thanks for the opinions!  Much to think about. 

It is hard to be young and have your dream wedding location set on something that might not happen, but perhaps they shall have to come up with some other plan and maybe have the cruise be the honeymoon.  Less risk.  

Have you seen the latest from the CDC? There's a possibility cruising could resume from the US as early as mid-July. If that happens, then November from Orlando looks more and more like a possibility.

We have seen the information!😃

My daughter has decided that Disney will be the sure bet.  We haven't paid for anything nor confirmed anything, but in all our Disney cruises, we have never had a disappointment.  Unfortunately, as much as she would like an MSC wedding (and I am from Europe, my husband is Italian, we are not surprised by the MSC non-American focus, and for a regular vacation cruise, we find it fun), the uncertainty of their customer service is a big question mark for the wedding plans.

If anyone has been married on MSC, I would love to hear about the experience!

Princess is our second, Royal still our third option.  Confidence wise though, and competency of the wedding planner, still places the Disney experience at the top.  Every question answered in a timely manner, every guarantee offered, it all looks good.

Nothing is certain though until mom and dad hand over the credit card.  We are still giving until end of May for the final decision.

Optimusprime82, thanks for your input.  Good to know!

FYI, this cruise ship wedding thing is looking to be less expensive, even with our cabins, than a wedding at a venue on land.  Should've done this with the first daughter!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, luvavacation said:

We have seen the information!😃

My daughter has decided that Disney will be the sure bet.  We haven't paid for anything nor confirmed anything, but in all our Disney cruises, we have never had a disappointment.  Unfortunately, as much as she would like an MSC wedding (and I am from Europe, my husband is Italian, we are not surprised by the MSC non-American focus, and for a regular vacation cruise, we find it fun), the uncertainty of their customer service is a big question mark for the wedding plans.

If anyone has been married on MSC, I would love to hear about the experience!

Princess is our second, Royal still our third option.  Confidence wise though, and competency of the wedding planner, still places the Disney experience at the top.  Every question answered in a timely manner, every guarantee offered, it all looks good.

Nothing is certain though until mom and dad hand over the credit card.  We are still giving until end of May for the final decision.

Optimusprime82, thanks for your input.  Good to know!

FYI, this cruise ship wedding thing is looking to be less expensive, even with our cabins, than a wedding at a venue on land.  Should've done this with the first daughter!

Disney will get it right.  They aren't cheap, but they also don't disappoint.

On 4/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, luvavacation said:

Thoughts?

While I would not plan my child's wedding on ANY Cruise ship right now in the prevailing situation, I would offer it as a honeymoon option after the wedding.

How many guests are you planning to call and who will pay the cruise fare?

Usually with some travel agents, If you book 8 cabins you get 1 free.

Edited by drsel

On 4/27/2021 at 12:48 PM, luvavacation said:

Thoughts?

My daughter had her wedding booked for late May on Regal Princess out of Southampton. In January, she transferred it to late October (same ship, same itinerary) before May trips were cancelled. We are hoping that it will go ahead. If not, we will rethink but cruises starting again in UK this summer so are starting to feel optimistic. Princess were very good at transferring everything over (even though, at the time, the May one was still 'scheduled' to cruise).

Just close family on October. Some of the May guests decided not to rebook.

Tracey

7 hours ago, jones721 said:

My daughter had her wedding booked for late May on Regal Princess out of Southampton. In January, she transferred it to late October (same ship, same itinerary) before May trips were cancelled. We are hoping that it will go ahead. If not, we will rethink but cruises starting again in UK this summer so are starting to feel optimistic. Princess were very good at transferring everything over (even though, at the time, the May one was still 'scheduled' to cruise).

Tracey

How does a Cruise wedding work in terms of costing and finance ?

Do the guests have to pay their own Cruise fare? What about alcoholic drinks, photos and other add ons?

19 hours ago, drsel said:

How does a Cruise wedding work in terms of costing and finance ?

Do the guests have to pay their own Cruise fare? What about alcoholic drinks, photos and other add ons?

From what we have learned so far, there is a set price for the cruise wedding, depending on location on the ship and if it is before sail-away, during sailing, or at a destination.

Most things I would have to pay for separately on land are included (chairs, decor, cake, etc).  We can add on hors d'oeuvres, drinks other than champagne, live music, etc, depending on the cruise line.

Reception after wedding lasts about 2 hours, if I understand correctly.

Guests would pay their own fare.  The attendants, we are not sure about.  Traditionally, the bride's parents pay for accommodations on land, but there are many things that were "tradition" that are no longer practiced, so I am not sure.  The bride and her attendants will be figuring this out.  

The groom's parents are paying for their own way, but the bride's parents are paying for all wedding expenses.  Tradition would not come into play, since there will be no rehearsal dinner, officiant is included already, no open bar since no 6 hour long reception on ship.  

Over all, the cost for the cruise wedding, even with the cabins for the immediate family, and possibly the attendants, is costing out much less than a land wedding.  Also, no need to run around and find caterers, flowers, decor, etc.  

So far, this all sounds like a good option for our family, but we haven't made final decision yet.  The only thing we know are that MSC is out, and while Disney is the preferred, not all of the guests have experienced the magic of Disney, thus they may not find value in the price of the cruise.  Thus, Disney is probably out, but if a bag of money suddenly falls from the sky, then things might change again!

On 5/1/2021 at 7:42 AM, jones721 said:

Tracey

It is good to know that Princess was helpful.  Excellent customer service is priority for the wedding cruise.

14 hours ago, luvavacation said:

1. Guests would pay their own fare.

2. the bride's parents are paying for all wedding expenses

If the guests find the cruise too expensive, they may not buy their own Cruise tickets or they may decline your invitation.
Also why should the bride's parents pay for all wedding expenses? Expenses should be divided equally in my opinion.

Will the parents also pay for alcoholic drinks, photos, shore excursions for the guests during the wedding celebration or for the entire Cruise?

Edited by drsel