Specialty dining

Cadeleon1

I will hopefully be a first time cruiser in 2022 and though have tried to find specific info on specialty dining I have not found the answer to my question.  How do you order at a specialty dining restaurant on a Celebrity Summit ship?  Is it like the MDR where you can order anything you want for the set price or can you only order one of each category, appetizer, main course, dessert?  Your reply and any advice for a first time cruiser will be greatly appreciated.

I can only speak on Celebrity in general, I have been on the Reflection and Silhouette, I'm sure they may be all the same.

We have eaten at Tuscan quite a few times and from what our waiter told us you may order anything on the menu.

I have requested a couple appetizers, two entree's, a couple of sides and 2 deserts, no problem, the portions are not that big.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cadeleon1 said:

I will hopefully be a first time cruiser in 2022 and though have tried to find specific info on specialty dining I have not found the answer to my question.  How do you order at a specialty dining restaurant on a Celebrity Summit ship?  Is it like the MDR where you can order anything you want for the set price or can you only order one of each category, appetizer, main course, dessert?  Your reply and any advice for a first time cruiser will be greatly appreciated.

In our experience staff in the speciality restaurants want your visit to be ‘special’ and will do all they can to make it so.

We generally find portions ample and struggle to eat all available. Generally people do book one starter, one mains and one desert but if you asked for an extra starter, mains or desert I am sure there would be no issues. If you want something different than the standard menu if you chat the evening before I am sure they will do everything they can to accommodate your preferences or dietary requirements.

In general customers at the specialty restaurants can order whatever they want from the menu in past years. We've ordered multiple appetizers and have been able to order smaller portions of main pasta dishes as an appetizer. However, I recently noticed that the sample menu for the Fine Cut Steakhouse on the Apex has an * at the bottom of the menu that says there's an extra $20 fee for ordering an extra entree. 

14 minutes ago, Cadeleon1 said:

Thank you all for your reply, you have answered my question at last.  I have  reservations at the Tuscan Grille and wanted to know what to expect before I went.  

In the Tuscan Grill, there are up charges for some cuts of steak.  In my experience, the regular portions of an appetizer,  salad, main entree, and dessert are plenty.  Be advised that a tip has been included in the price of the meals.  We always add an additional tip as the service has been excellent.

Edited by keesar

3 hours ago, Cadeleon1 said:

How do you order at a specialty dining restaurant on a Celebrity Summit ship?  Is it like the MDR where you can order anything you want for the set price or can you only order one of each category, appetizer, main course, dessert? 

NCL is the outlier in terms of mass market cruise line specialty dining. At a few of their restaurants, if you’re using a dining credit, you’re limited to a single main, which is strictly enforced. 

21 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

NCL is the outlier in terms of mass market cruise line specialty dining. At a few of their restaurants, if you’re using a dining credit, you’re limited to a single main, which is strictly enforced. 

The food on NCL, IMHO, is mediocre at best, so a single main would not be a problem for me

• Haha 1

You could order 2 main at Murano.  My wife could not decide between 2 different ones and after hearing she said that,  the waiter just said why don't I bring you both?  This was a few years back though.   We really like Murano and would definitely go back.

1 minute ago, lostchild said:

You could order 2 main at Murano.  My wife could not decide between 2 different ones and after hearing she said that,  the waiter just said why don't I bring you both?  This was a few years back though.   We really like Murano and would definitely go back.

Exactly why I love Celebrity, always a step above

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lostchild said:

We have experienced similar...I was ‘dithering’ between lamb and lobster (my husband had already chosen the beef) and the waiter said why don’t I cook you a lobster to share?

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 8:24 PM, cruiserchuck said:

Holland America also limits you to a single items from each course in their speciality restaurants.  They also would not let me order a smaller portion of a main course item as an appetizer.  

We must have lucked out? When we dined at Tamarind on the Koningsdam in January 2019, we were definitely allowed to order multiple apps and mains… although sushi had been moved off menu to the sushi bar/restaurant only. 

We’ve dined in Murano's many times. Even for their lunch special where you get a fillet and lobster tail for $20 we have never went away hungry or even thought of asking for another entree. I’m a big eater too. By the time I get the salad, appetizer, bread and bread sticks plus entree I am plenty full. Oh yeah desert!

Wait staff have been really good if you are on the fence with what to have for an entree they will bring you both. We have never ever been told No I can’t have this or that. They do their best to make you happy.

• Like 1