Sky Suite Personal Butler

ScottC4746

7 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Curious. What other cruise lines with butlers have you sailed to make that superlative comparison?

Have you had many Celebrity butlers?

NCL 2x, Royal, Carnival, Summit and Edge, thus my superlative comparison is based on my personal experience.  Celebrity hands down

• Thanks 2

Depends on how you operate.  Our "butler" experiences were pretty much nothing more than our normal cabin attendant.  But, we didn't feel the need to ask for much.

I've now been in suites (mostly Sky Suites) a few times.  First time we didn't know what to with our very nice butler.  At one point he came down to Luminae at breakfast and asked if he could help us in any way.  He also left us a bottle of nice wine.

I think I've now been in suites 3 times (out of 6 or 7 cruises - I've kind of lost track with all the cancellations).   Each time I've taken more and more advantage of their service.  

One of my favorite experiences:  On my second time in a suite, I was with my sister (others were with DH).  In Key West, we ran into some casual friends from a charity event we do in San Diego each year.  They were in Aqua, so we met them for breakfast the next day.  They mentioned that they wanted to see a suite, so we invited them to stop by the next evening.  I mentioned to our butler that they were coming and asked for 4 wine glasses and a corkscrew to open a bottle of wine we had.  Also, I asked if instead of the 4 little snacks they dropped off every day, could we have some cheese and crackers.  His response was that he would take care of everything.

When we arrived at the room that evening, not only were the wine glasses there, there were champagne glasses and a bottle of champagne.  The cheese plate had become a full charcuterie plate and there were chocolate covered strawberries and a shrimp plate.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

We're looking forward to our first two 'proper' suite class (yes, only sky suite, but still) cruises next year. We're hoping the butler will unpack for us. It is something we probably wouldn't have wanted previously, but on our last cruise (MSC YC) our butler did that and it was great. (I was in a terrible mess because my mum had died recently, and my OH had hurt his back.)

I suspect otherwise we won't make much use of the butler - but not having to unpack on embarkation day is lovely.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, talljules1 said:

We're looking forward to our first two 'proper' suite class (yes, only sky suite, but still) cruises next year. We're hoping the butler will unpack for us. It is something we probably wouldn't have wanted previously, but on our last cruise (MSC YC) our butler did that and it was great. (I was in a terrible mess because my mum had died recently, and my OH had hurt his back.)

I suspect otherwise we won't make much use of the butler - but not having to unpack on embarkation day is lovely.

Most guests do not use the packing or unpacking service so your butler is unlikely to anticipate you want this.  

On boarding most suite guests head to Michael’s/Retreat for a drink before lunch. If you mention to the concierge that you would like help with unpacking he/she will be able to let your butler know. This means your butler can schedule a time to meet you at your cabin. You do need to be present when your cases are unpacked. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Most guests do not use the packing or unpacking service so your butler is unlikely to anticipate you want this.  

On boarding most suite guests head to Michael’s/Retreat for a drink before lunch. If you mention to the concierge that you would like help with unpacking he/she will be able to let your butler know. This means your butler can schedule a time to meet you at your cabin. You do need to be present when your cases are unpacked. 

That's good to know - we didn't need to be present for it on MSC. 

What kind of special things has you butler done for you? Bridge tour, anything out of the ordinary? Did you have to ask or did they take it upon them selves? How much above the prepaid tips did you give to them?

45 minutes ago, Bailey Boy said:

What kind of special things has you butler done for you? Bridge tour, anything out of the ordinary? Did you have to ask or did they take it upon them selves? How much above the prepaid tips did you give to them?

Ship tours, like the bridge, are usually organised by the concierge. Let them know on boarding what you are interested in (bridge, galley, theatre...) and they will do their best to set it up for you.

Butlers work best when they know what you want...Communication is really important. If you want evening snacks let the butler know, if you want to host a sail away party talk to the butler.

A rule of thumb re additional tips tends to be based on services ‘above and beyond’...

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Ship tours, like the bridge, are usually organised by the concierge. Let them know on boarding what you are interested in (bridge, galley, theatre...) and they will do their best to set it up for you.

Butlers work best when they know what you want...Communication is really important. If you want evening snacks let the butler know, if you want to host a sail away party talk to the butler.

A rule of thumb re additional tips tends to be based on services ‘above and beyond’...

Tipping the butler is IMHO totally dependent on how you use their services.  I very frequently have breakfast in my room and on sea days, may have lunch and/or dinner.  I also usually by end of cruise will host a small group of passengers that I have met during the cruise.  I ask the butler to bring some libations, shrimp cocktail and charcuterie etc, always always does such a wonderful job.  So for me, I do tip over and above what has already been included.  They work so hard and I have never been disappointed and always beyond impressed with how hard he/she works!  These past many months have been so hard on them I am sure, I for one cannot wait to get on board again and see their smiling faces.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2021 at 10:01 AM, George C said:

Some are excellent some are so so.

Yes, agree. Staying on PH deck in a higher end suite tends to get the best butlers. An S-1 will get you a mediocre one at best. It is all about the real estate.

9 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, agree. Staying on PH deck in a higher end suite tends to get the best butlers. An S-1 will get you a mediocre one at best. It is all about the real estate.

If S-1’s get the mediocre butler ‘at best’, what the heck do I get with S-3? They hand me the butler outfit and I go to work??? 

Had inside/oceanview/veranda/concierge and had excellent room stewards and a few not-so’s even in better SRs. Not sure how that would work with butlers being so different on one ship, but since I’ve not been on Retreat yet at any level, I guess that’s how it works there. 

Den

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

If S-1’s get the mediocre butler ‘at best’, what the heck do I get with S-3? They hand me the butler outfit and I go to work??? 

Had inside/oceanview/veranda/concierge and had excellent room stewards and a few not-so’s even in better SRs. Not sure how that would work with butlers being so different on one ship, but since I’ve not been on Retreat yet at any level, I guess that’s how it works there. 

Den

Den - I was in an S3 on Edge, the butler was incredible!  You've nothing to worry about, at least in my experience.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Den - I was in an S3 on Edge, the butler was incredible!  You've nothing to worry about, at least in my experience.  

We had a better butler in sky suite than in our royal suite.

• Like 1

Just now, LGW59 said:

I wasn’t worried, really. Looking forward to the whole experience. And I remember when you posted how I’d not be going back after going Retreat and I said I’d save it for special cruises……I’m finding myself looking more and more at that option on upcoming’ s!

Den

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Den

They're not so different.  Had a so so butler in what may be called a 'snobby' suite (with a piano - who ever plays?) on one ship (not Celebrity)..and in an S1.... an excellent butler.  IMO it's all in how you behave yourself.  I wouldn't blame a butler to be a little cooler if he felt he was being looked down on.  But they all work very hard to make our vacation what we want it to be.  In our case, we don't ask much so we can't be disappointed in them.  OTOH, our butler seems disappointed in us that we don't ask for more....LOL.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 2

Just now, Oceangoer2 said:

I really, really like your sense of humour.....😄...you will charm any butler into giving YOU a tip...😉

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Den

Just providing my experience. Also, I really do not need a butler and rarely ask for anything. However, I found our butler on Solstice in a CS to be far superior to our butler on Oceania. 

The best butler we have ever had was actually on Ponant in Antarctica. He would insist on removing my boots after our excursions. LOL! I was embarrassed but he insisted on doing his job.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Just providing my experience. Also, I really do not need a butler and rarely ask for anything. However, I found our butler on Solstice in a CS to be far superior to our butler on Oceania. 

The best butler we have ever had was actually on Ponant in Antarctica. He would insist on removing my boots after our excursions. LOL! I was embarrassed but he insisted on doing his job.

Our best butler was on MSC yacht club, he walked us to shows , he knew we had dinner at 8 he made sure a table would be waiting and carried our drinks from the lounge up the stairs to there restaurant. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, George C said:

Our best butler was on MSC yacht club, he walked us to shows , he knew we had dinner at 8 he made sure a table would be waiting and carried our drinks from the lounge up the stairs to there restaurant. 

I read a lot of great reviews of MSC YC. I have looked at their website but find it difficult to navigate and their YC seems different on some of their ships. Do you have a suggestion?

13 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I read a lot of great reviews of MSC YC. I have looked at their website but find it difficult to navigate and their YC seems different on some of their ships. Do you have a suggestion?

The newer ships have them , you are correct many don’t , might ask a travel agent we did Seaside which we loved , I found it easier just booking with a travel agent with msc , we book direct with celebrity and rccl. mSC has ten percent discount for veterans and some professions and if you are elite on Celebrity or diamond on rccl they will match your status and give you perks including 5 percent I believe.

1 minute ago, George C said:

The newer ships have them , you are correct many don’t , might ask a travel agent we did Seaside which we loved , I found it easier just booking with a travel agent with msc , we book direct with celebrity and rccl. mSC has ten percent discount for veterans and some professions and if you are elite on Celebrity or diamond on rccl they will match your status and give you perks including 5 percent I believe.

Thank you. I am Elite on X and also always use a TA. I never book directly with the cruise line.

6 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Thank you. I am Elite on X and also always use a TA. I never book directly with the cruise line.

Now use a local TA also and she finds not only great deals, she follows up and assists as needed. 

den 

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I respectfully disagree.  I've had 3 cruises with butlers - S1, S2, X Suite and all were very good.