Sky Suite Personal Butler

ScottC4746

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, agree. Staying on PH deck in a higher end suite tends to get the best butlers. An S-1 will get you a mediocre one at best. It is all about the real estate.

I would tend to believe that many of the Butlers in the "lower end" suites are in a learning mode... They have to start somewhere, just like those of us who book a suite for the first time!!! LOL

Unfortunately, those who are accustomed to great Butler service in the "higher end" suites and books into a a lower end, will see the difference for sure... not to say that there are not Butler's in the higher end require additional training....

Those who are accustomed to great Butler service at any level suite, may run into one who is not so great or does not perform to the level we may anticipate or expect, as well.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Just providing my experience. Also, I really do not need a butler and rarely ask for anything. However, I found our butler on Solstice in a CS to be far superior to our butler on Oceania. 

The best butler we have ever had was actually on Ponant in Antarctica. He would insist on removing my boots after our excursions. LOL! I was embarrassed but he insisted on doing his job.

Sounds like my type of Butler....

Did you bring them home????

bon voyage

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

I would tend to believe that many of the Butlers in the "lower end" suites are in a learning mode... They have to start somewhere, just like those of us who book a suite for the first time!!! LOL

Unfortunately, those who are accustomed to great Butler service in the "higher end" suites and books into a a lower end, will see the difference for sure... not to say that there are not Butler's in the higher end require additional training....

Those who are accustomed to great Butler service at any level suite, may run into one who is not so great or does not perform to the level we may anticipate or expect, as well.

bon voyage

You are exactly correct. We did a B2B for 30 days on Solstice for Oz, Fiji, and NZ. Our 1st leg in a CS and the best butler we had ever had. We could not get the same suite for NZ so had the S1 Aft corner suite. Both on PH floor. There was a very noticeable difference in butlers and probably due to training.

We had the PH on Millennium in 2019 and had an exceptional butler. They all need to earn their stripes.

I always try for the PH deck now when purchasing a cruise and the suites are very hard to come by. You must get them early. 

The Ponant guy was over the top and the seas were like we were in a washing machine. He supplied me with as many baguettes as necessary. 😉  The best of the best.

Bon voyage to you, as always.

• Thanks 1

The last Cruise we took was in Dec 2019 Dubai  to Singapore on the Constellation . We had a suite S1 or S2  cabin at the stern on deck 6 . We always used to leave it to the last minute  and check out what's available. . This cabin had a connecting door to one of the top suites so they could bring their entourage if need be. This was pre Kelly Hoppen  and it had with nice  woods and a feel of real quality about it. We then found the best butler we have ever had called "Bart ". This was a butler with real presence ! , and I have attached his photo as some of you may have met him in your travels. Anyway the guests in the top suites valued their privacy so we had him almost to  ourselves. On the day of disembarkation he arrived at our suite took our overnight trolley bags and wheeled them through the ship at top speed  scattering all before him with us trying to keep up.

As an aside we spent our last afternoon in Changhai airport a week before Christmas doing a grand tour , looking at the waterfall and suchlike. We were blissfully unaware of Covid,  which must have been circulating by then and coupled with a messy change at Dubai on Emirates  we are fortunate not to have  come back to the UK ,as patient Zero !

We shan't see those days again as its now all about rebuilding balance sheets !! Cannot believe the price they now want for suites be interesting to see if they can fill them in say a year.

20191214_092207.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 6:27 AM, chemmo said:

This means your butler can schedule a time to meet you at your cabin. You do need to be present when your cases are unpacked. 

I wouldn't have used the service anyway, but WOW! I cannot imagine being the type of person to sit and watch someone else unpack my stuff and tell them where to put it!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hampshirelad said:

The last Cruise we took was in Dec 2019 Dubai  to Singapore on the Constellation . We had a suite S1 or S2  cabin at the stern on deck 6 . We always used to leave it to the last minute  and check out what's available. . This cabin had a connecting door to one of the top suites so they could bring their entourage if need be. This was pre Kelly Hoppen  and it had with nice  woods and a feel of real quality about it. We then found the best butler we have ever had called "Bart ". This was a butler with real presence ! , and I have attached his photo as some of you may have met him in your travels. Anyway the guests in the top suites valued their privacy so we had him almost to  ourselves. On the day of disembarkation he arrived at our suite took our overnight trolley bags and wheeled them through the ship at top speed  scattering all before him with us trying to keep up.

As an aside we spent our last afternoon in Changhai airport a week before Christmas doing a grand tour , looking at the waterfall and suchlike. We were blissfully unaware of Covid,  which must have been circulating by then and coupled with a messy change at Dubai on Emirates  we are fortunate not to have  come back to the UK ,as patient Zero !

We shan't see those days again as its now all about rebuilding balance sheets !! Cannot believe the price they now want for suites be interesting to see if they can fill them in say a year.

20191214_092207.jpg

The shade here is very interesting.  I've sailed Constellation in the long ago past and not in a suite.  Is this a corner S1 and do they all have a tarp like shade over the balcony?

Edited by Oceangoer2

On 5/3/2021 at 9:06 AM, ScottC4746 said:

My PCC at X and I were discussing when I booked my Sky Suite for Alaska 2022.  He said they changed the butlers so it is 1:1 ratio.  What exactly does a butler on X do?  I am reminded of the scene in Clue where Tim Curry is asked what a butler does and he response that he buttles. 

I have a feeling that the PCC got hung up on the word "personal" and interpreting that to mean your own butler, not shared with others.  I know when I first read that I took it that way and then reasoned with myself that was not what was meant.

Donna

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I wouldn't have used the service anyway, but WOW! I cannot imagine being the type of person to sit and watch someone else unpack my stuff and tell them where to put it!!

I agree with you, WrittenOnYourHeart - because it would negate the purpose, which is not having to do a chore on holiday. But if it is a service offered, and if we don't have to be in the suite to 'supervise' them doing it, then it is a service we'd gladly use. We don't generally constitute much work for our stateroom attendants, and we certainly don't see them as servants. 

If we have to be there to watch, we might just as well do it ourselves, and would do so.

3 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

The shade here is very interesting.  I've sailed Constellation in the long ago past and not in a suite.  Is this a corner S1 and do they all have a tarp like shade over the balcony?

This would be 6146, an S1 which connects to the PH, 6148, which has the corner.  And half the back of the ship.

• Thanks 1

On Celebrity you do have to be present to use the butler unpack/pack services.  This is not typically used by Celebrity suite passengers as far as I know.   The only time I heard of someone using it was someone who had some sort of physical problem which would make unpacking difficult and the butler happily assisted.

• Like 1

Guys, I have a really weird question, and I know it. If no one here knows I will start a new thread once cruises actually get going again.

Do butlers wear cufflinks? Has anyone noticed? 🙂

On 5/8/2021 at 3:31 PM, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, agree. Staying on PH deck in a higher end suite tends to get the best butlers. An S-1 will get you a mediocre one at best. It is all about the real estate.

Personally I think this is a perception.  Before ever being in a suite we stayed in AQ. Passengers thought the attendants were those that were among the best.   One time we had a rookie that was their first time ever on a cruise ship 

Since being in suites that were always SS1 or  SS 2  the service was just as good as the one time we were in the RS.  There were times in a SS2 that  the Butler was a almost annoying as he tried to do everything for us.  He seen  us walking with a drink in our hand he wanted to carry it and asked what was.   We told him a Woodford Old Fashion.   After that there would always be 2 in our cabin.   Problem was it was just Woodford neat 

I think if you respect them as a person instead of a slave and aren’t too demanding as if you the only person on board that they have to attend to or being a dictator as if you are entitled you get better service. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

I have a feeling that the PCC got hung up on the word "personal" and interpreting that to mean your own butler, not shared with others.  I know when I first read that I took it that way and then reasoned with myself that was not what was meant.

Donna

Exactly. If you logically think about it the Butler’s pay is tips.  Do you think that they would work for the daily tips from one person? 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

9 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

We have never used this service either. I only know through talking to others. I am not totally sure why you need to be present, could be possibly to prevent later allegations of theft?

The people I do know have used this have been elderly and with mobility issues. Having cruised once in a wheelchair if my better half hadn’t sorted the luggage I would have needed the help.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, miched said:

I think if you respect them as a person instead of a slave and aren’t too demanding as if you the only person on board that they have to attend to or being a dictator as if you are entitled you get better service. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I respect everyone! I also do not use the Butler very often and even leave the suite spotless for the housekeepers.  That is the type of person I am. Not demanding, not a dictator, and not entitled. I offered my opinion on the service I received. You had a different experience.

At the end of the cruise, I am also very generous with the tips to all, even if the service was mediocre.

We book suites for the space and love having 2 bathrooms when on a long cruise.

That is who I am!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I could get used to that, until they learn my system... LOL

bon voyage

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

We have never used this service either. I only know through talking to others. I am not totally sure why you need to be present, could be possibly to prevent later allegations of theft?

The people I do know have used this have been elderly and with mobility issues. Having cruised once in a wheelchair if my better half hadn’t sorted the luggage I would have needed the help.

That would be my guess.  To protect the butlers from allegations of theft.

The main thing I can imagine us needing is a nice coffee service on the veranda, nice pot of coffee, some creamers and sweeteners, and maybe a pastry or two just to get the morning taste out of our mouths before we head out to breakfast.  Perhaps a small bite and my first Old Fashioned in the room before we head to dinner.

An example that we will Not being going back to ‘normal’ after the Pandemic is more under control: I’m now visiting, reading and Posting(!) on a thread talking about Butler service! 

We missed 3 cruises last year and Hope to cruise our first time in November, and I’m now booked in a Sky Suite for our 2022 TA. So interested in all of this!

Ahhh, life changes as we realize we’ve got to make the most of it Here And Now. I’ll thank my kids just before I expire that I appreciated going Suites/Retreat using their inheritance…..and they’ll love it!!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

An example that we will Not being going back to ‘normal’ after the Pandemic is more under control: I’m now visiting, reading and Posting(!) on a thread talking about Butler service! 

We missed 3 cruises last year and Hope to cruise our first time in November, and I’m now booked in a Sky Suite for our 2022 TA. So interested in all of this!

Ahhh, life changes as we realize we’ve got to make the most of it Here And Now. I’ll thank my kids just before I expire that I appreciated going Suites/Retreat using their inheritance…..and they’ll love it!!

Den

Welcome to the “SKI” club, Den! 😉

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2021 at 7:11 PM, Lunesse said:

Guys, I have a really weird question, and I know it. If no one here knows I will start a new thread once cruises actually get going again.

Do butlers wear cufflinks? Has anyone noticed? 🙂

I am guessing that the answer is yes, but I have never noticed.  Why on earth do you ask?

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 12:53 PM, TFree said:

I am guessing that the answer is yes, but I have never noticed.  Why on earth do you ask?

Tom & Judy

I am a metalsmith, and I was thinking about a gift to give at the end of the cruise, I read a thread about ways to thank a butler or steward, and cufflinks are the rare sort of men's jewelry I could make as a thank you. Our upcoming cruise will be my first experience with a butler, who knows if I ever will again, so... for me it's a relatively easy and heartfelt way to say thanks.... if they wear them. 

I know, it sounds SO random. 😃 Hope that demystified it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Lunesse said:

I am a metalsmith, and I was thinking about a gift to give at the end of the cruise, I read a thread about ways to thank a butler or steward, and cufflinks are the rare sort of men's jewelry I could make as a thank you. Our upcoming cruise will be my first experience with a butler, who knows if I ever will again, so... for me it's a relatively easy and heartfelt way to say thanks.... if they wear them. 

I know, it sounds SO random. 😃 Hope that demystified it. 

It does.  Really nice idea.  Maybe somebody on this board will know the answer, or have contact with a butler and could ask.

Tom & Judy