What is Your Favorite Desserts you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

• 3 weeks later...

There are ice cream flavors that I have tasted during my cruises that I had not tasted before.  Particularly, this seemed to occur when the cruise line was purchasing premium ice cream from such companies that produced that.  A Coconut Pineapple Ice Cream made by Hagan-Daz that was once served on HAL ships is one that I was able to buy in my grocers and is still usually available.  It's delicious.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

But do like the tasting plate of Desserts at the Crown Grill on Princess

You jogged my memory.  I have tried that once as well and that was a satisfying and delicious dessert.  Mine was on Royal Princess at their Crown Grill.  

• 3 months later...

Just started to bake my Famous Apple Pies we have just entered baking season. This evening was the second one and haven't lost my touch. I enjoy when this season starts with the right apples available. I like using Honeycrisps from the Hudson Valley in the Catskills. The smell in the house can't match any candle on the market.

When next September/Fall comes, have to see how the apple pies on board the Mary tastes next to my. I don't think I ever saw apple pies on the menu. Apologize if I am wrong. I know there are many fancy selections from my memory.

I like it plain without ice cream or cheese. Ice Cream just melts and messy on the plate. And cheese???

What is your favorite pies this time of year? I do also like others like strawberry/rhubarb. sweet potato to name a few. Not into holiday ones like mince, pumpkin. 

Good morning BB, I have been on a cruise to Lisbon......got home very late Thursday night.  It was a fabulous trip😃

I recall posting about having cheeses for dessert (rather than sweets)........well, I did that several times on my cruise and it hit the spot.  I just don't always feel like something sweet.....I know, some of you will think I am crazy LOL.......

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning BB, I have been on a cruise to Lisbon......got home very late Thursday night.  It was a fabulous trip😃

I recall posting about having cheeses for dessert (rather than sweets)........well, I did that several times on my cruise and it hit the spot.  I just don't always feel like something sweet.....I know, some of you will think I am crazy LOL.......

L R.

Welcome  back.....

I was too full to have tried the cheese plate when we went up north in September. Maybe I will try on the September sailing if QM2 doesn't fill me. In the Club Dining Room, we have the extra menu that is quite attractive. Plus the Flamba's 

I too don't care for sweets at night especially if we had it at Tea Time.

Pavlova!  I first learned of it while living in Australia.  There it was always homemade, so I was spoiled. Since then, I've tried it on Celebrity (no resemblance), and RC (excellent, and available every day).  Made me wonder where all the egg yolks were being used, as Pavlova uses many many egg whites (and very precise baking).  Nothing like the meringue on a Baked Alaska or lemon meringue pie.

One of my favorite pies at home is pecan; however, on a ship they have always been very different from the Thanksgiving classic.  It appears that they don't even call it pecan pie on a ship any more; probably too many people said "huh?".

MSC chocolate ships were excellent.

I have yet to taste a decent piece of pecan pie onboard any ship.  It is such a simple pie to make but nobody seems to do it right.  Even when an attempt is made they seem to sully it up with chocolate or such.

Pavlova is a delight if done the right way…very precise.

Chocolate lava cake is done on most of the lines and is always a hit.  I have seen it done in a number of different ways.  The Princess version is outstanding.

Try and find a good apple pie onboard a ship.  That is another recipe they seem to mangle.  Why do they always throw in another type of fruit?  Apples and pears…apples and blackberries…no thanks.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I have yet to taste a decent piece of pecan pie onboard any ship.  It is such a simple pie to make but nobody seems to do it right.  Even when an attempt is made they seem to sully it up with chocolate or such.

Pavlova is a delight if done the right way…very precise.

Chocolate lava cake is done on most of the lines and is always a hit.  I have seen it done in a number of different ways.  The Princess version is outstanding.

Try and find a good apple pie onboard a ship.  That is another recipe they seem to mangle.  Why do they always throw in another type of fruit?  Apples and pears…apples and blackberries…no thanks.

CGT,

I think they want to treat us to another level above home style desserts with elegant design. True Lava is that level. Opera cake too!

But simple pies like pecan, apple are for home and not for sailing. But give me a piece of apple pie like I am noted for with maybe a ball of ice cream like cinnamon and that tops off the meal. 

On 10/31/2021 at 5:31 PM, shipgeeks said:

Pavlova!  I first learned of it while living in Australia. 

My introduction to this delight was when I sailed on my first cruise in Australian waters.  On the ships, some of the Pastry Chefs do a better job than others with their renditions of the dessert.  

On 10/25/2021 at 8:16 AM, Lois R said:

I recall posting about having cheeses for dessert (rather than sweets)...

I have had tablemates who regularly ordered a cheese plate for dessert.  One gentleman would have a sweet dessert followed by a cheese plate.  I have ordered it, but, usually found that there were some cheeses served that I did not particularly like.  

On 10/23/2021 at 11:12 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I like it plain without ice cream or cheese. Ice Cream just melts and messy on the plate. And cheese???

Apple Pie is great without ice cream or cheese in my opinion.  Dutch Apple Pie is good, but I prefer the "traditional" pie.  

On 10/23/2021 at 11:12 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

What is your favorite pies this time of year? I do also like others like strawberry/rhubarb. sweet potato to name a few. Not into holiday ones like mince, pumpkin. 

I do like Pumpkin and Mince.  Trying to find Mince Pie, fresh or frozen, is nearly impossible anymore.  Sara Lee made Mince Pie which was good, but, the grocers where I live to not stock it.  Maybe, Sara Lee doesn't make it anymore.

On 10/31/2021 at 4:12 PM, 2specialkidsforme said:

chocolate lava cake

Ordered it; ate it; wasn't impressed.

I enjoy a well prepared and cooked souffle.  Flavor preference?  Not really.  I have found the best to be prepared in a ship's specialty restaurant Galley.  But.....my recent experiences in the Pinnacle Grill have been disappointing.  Being under baked has been my experience.  No excuse for that since I inform my Steward that will be my dessert when my order is taken.  

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

LOL…I hate to admit this but Mrs. Smith’s pumpkin custard and their mince meat pies are my go to pies at Thanksgiving.  So much easier than having to make them and almost as good.

I have never baked a pie in my life (that I can remember).  My Mom? She was a fabulous baker......her apple pie could have won an award.....best I ever had.  As for Mrs Smith.........she makes some delicious pies and I would do the same thing😀....oh, I have made an ice box pie😀....but you don't bake that kind LOL

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have never baked a pie in my life (that I can remember).  My Mom? She was a fabulous baker......her apple pie could have won an award.....best I ever had.  As for Mrs Smith.........she makes some delicious pies and I would do the same thing😀....oh, I have made an ice box pie😀....but you don't bake that kind LOL

Which brings us to the next subject.  Why can’t any of the lines produce good basic pies?  It seems like they have all these exotic combinations but none of the basics.  I would love to see a good peach or pecan or apple or blueberry pie being offered.  Once in a while I do see a lemon meringue pie but they are never as good as my homemade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Which brings us to the next subject.  Why can’t any of the lines produce good basic pies?  It seems like they have all these exotic combinations but none of the basics.  I would love to see a good peach or pecan or apple or blueberry pie being offered.  Once in a while I do see a lemon meringue pie but they are never as good as my homemade.

Good morning, I am not "A baker"  but I do make a really good carrot cake😀 but as for pies, I know (for me anyway)it is all about the crust.......if it is not flakey and if it is too "chewy".....then the pie is a no go for me.........I LOVE a flakey pie crust!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Agree CGT.

How many times I had a good apple pie, crumb, in a soup dish with a ball of good ice cream is a treat at the end.

My apple pies only take less than 6 ingredients minus the crust to make.

Plus they do have a bakery section for breads, desserts and tea time right?

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I am not "A baker"  but I do make a really good carrot cake😀 but as for pies, I know (for me anyway)it is all about the crust.......if it is not flakey and if it is too "chewy".....then the pie is a no go for me.........I LOVE a flakey pie crust!!!!!!!!

Hi Lois,  I hate to say this but the absolute flakiest crust is made with lard.  My grandmother was a genius at pie making and always used lard…as did my mother.  Hmmm…what are the chances of seeing that at sea…lol.  The next type of crust that would meet your preference would be puff pastry.  Pie crusts made with shortening are way too tough and the ones with butter are not much better.  Pork rules!!  

8 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Agree CGT.

How many times I had a good apple pie, crumb, in a soup dish with a ball of good ice cream is a treat at the end.

My apple pies only take less than 6 ingredients minus the crust to make.

Plus they do have a bakery section for breads, desserts and tea time right?

It’s funny but Cunard used to make great pies.  I’m looking at my Caronia II menus from the 1950’s and they had all the basics…pecan, blueberry, peach, blackberry, apple etc.

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I hate to say this but the absolute flakiest crust is made with lard.  My grandmother was a genius at pie making and always used lard…

Yep!  My experience as well.  My Grandmother was an excellent cook.  Homemade noodles, dumplings, and any and all dessert items.  My Mother learned well, but, she didn't have the time to do what my Grandmother was able to do.

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I would love to see a good peach or pecan or apple or blueberry pie being offered.  Once in a while I do see a lemon meringue pie but they are never as good as my homemade.

There are apple and pecan "pies" offered on some menus that I have seen.  But, they are not the "pies" that I remember nor currently eat.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:26 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I hate to admit this but Mrs. Smith’s pumpkin custard and their mince meat pies are my go to pies at Thanksgiving.  

Apologizes not needed; Mrs. Smith's pies are good.  Mince Pie?  Have not seen that in my grocer's freezer.  I like Sara Lee pies and can''t find Mince Pie; once did, though.  I am thinking of asking the bakery manager of an upscale local grocer whose bakery department is excellent if I could special order a pie or two for the holidays.  Then, I wonder:  what are those pies going to cost and is it worth it?

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

I do make a really good carrot cake

Carrot Cake! 😍    Red Velvet is another favorite of mine!  😍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

most of the time I go for a nice cheese plate unless they have some sort of custard like a zabaione or creme brulee.

Always going for the great sounding goodies and have to try the next time - the cheese plate.

Always feel the cheese plate may be too much and filling.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Always going for the great sounding goodies and have to try the next time - the cheese plate.

Always feel the cheese plate may be too much and filling.

Nope.....on my recent sailings you could get as few or as many pieces as you prefer.......I would try 2 or 3 and maybe some fruit........not too much at all🙂

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Nope.....on my recent sailings you could get as few or as many pieces as you prefer.......I would try 2 or 3 and maybe some fruit........not too much at all🙂

Smoked Gouda, sharp cheddar, aged Roquefort and a ripe plum or grapes washed down with a Pinot Grigio.  The perfect ending to a perfect meal.

13 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Smoked Gouda, sharp cheddar, aged Roquefort and a ripe plum or grapes washed down with a Pinot Grigio.  The perfect ending to a perfect meal.

YUMMY👍😃