What is Your Favorite Desserts you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

This is the season of fresh fruit for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere.  Sometimes the most satisfying dessert after a good dinner is a dish of mixed berries (no Blackberries for me due to intestinal reasons) or another mixture of fruit.  Sometimes that dish of berries is "augmented" by some type of topping.  Really no need to do that for me.  Maybe a slight sprinkling of sugar will add to the dish.  Often, even that is not needed.  

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This is the season of fresh fruit for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere.  Sometimes the most satisfying dessert after a good dinner is a dish of mixed berries (no Blackberries for me due to intestinal reasons) or another mixture of fruit.  Sometimes that dish of berries is "augmented" by some type of topping.  Really no need to do that for me.  Maybe a slight sprinkling of sugar will add to the dish.  Often, even that is not needed.  

We have in the refrig fresh Cantalupe chilled for breakfast and will bring another one in with Honeydew to follow.....Also Blueberries from NJ......

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

BON VOYAGE Lois!!  I see you are saving your appetite for better things to come…lol.

The morning of sailing I am personally too busy and lucky I have Juice and maybe a bagel or SMALL bowl of cereal. You are somewhat distracted with thought of get going.

Yes I agree CGT about better things to come. But the way things sound like in Brooklyn Terminal and Embarkation delays for Cunard...May have to thing about a  bit more to eat this time or take a doggy bag for the terminal. 

Will most likely be awhile before seeing the buffet or food on board this trip. 

On 6/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

The morning of sailing I am personally too busy and lucky I have Juice and maybe a bagel or SMALL bowl of cereal.

The morning of embarkation, I have a continental breakfast.  Nothing heavy in anticipation of having a nice lunch once aboard.  

On 6/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

But the way things sound like in Brooklyn Terminal and Embarkation delays for Cunard...May have to thing about a  bit more to eat this time or take a doggy bag for the terminal. 

Or call for pizza delivery while you are inline?  I hope you will have a better embarkation experience than this could be!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Away in the Hudson Valley of NY.

Last year had the greatest find. Basil Ice Cream. Enjoyed many time.

Today offered Strawberry Basil Sorbet.

What's your honest opinion? Opted for Chef's Bread Pudding of the Day.

Sorry Basil IC not available. 

• 3 weeks later...

Basil ice cream: sounds interesting.  Once upon a time I had an ice cream maker, and a recipe book. I said I would close my eyes and open to a page and make that.  It was zucchini.  It was mild.

Actually, I came here to ask if anyone ever had Spumoni on a cruise.  The name came to me, unbidden, this morning, and I've been drooling at the thought of it.  Cherry, pistachio, and chocolate ice cream or gelato, with bits of nuts and fruits throughout.  I looked through the entire freezer section at the grocery this morning; nothing even close.  And now I want some.  Might MSC have it at their gelato bars?

(Not to be compared to the bland Neopolitan ice creams we had as children at birthday parties: individually wrapped blocks containing vanilla, strawberry and chocolate layers.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

if anyone ever had Spumoni on a cruise

No.  The only time I have ever seen Spumoni on a menu was in a few Italian restaurants.  I remember the gelato bar on Meraviglia; many, many varieties, but, I didn't look closely enough to remember what any of them were.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Not to be compared to the bland Neopolitan ice creams we had as children at birthday parties: individually wrapped blocks containing vanilla, strawberry and chocolate layers.)

It has been a very long time since I even had thought of Neopolitan ice cream!  Certainly not the quality of the old Lady Bordon brand (remember that?) or some of the current quality brands of ice cream, but, heck, it was good ice cream.  

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Basil ice cream: sounds interesting.  Once upon a time I had an ice cream maker, and a recipe book. I said I would close my eyes and open to a page and make that.  It was zucchini.  It was mild.

Actually, I came here to ask if anyone ever had Spumoni on a cruise.  The name came to me, unbidden, this morning, and I've been drooling at the thought of it.  Cherry, pistachio, and chocolate ice cream or gelato, with bits of nuts and fruits throughout.  I looked through the entire freezer section at the grocery this morning; nothing even close.  And now I want some.  Might MSC have it at their gelato bars?

(Not to be compared to the bland Neopolitan ice creams we had as children at birthday parties: individually wrapped blocks containing vanilla, strawberry and chocolate layers.)

Sorry but come to Brooklyn and you have it all over..Spumoni....

Also possibly Costa line being Italian should have it regularly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Also possibly Costa line being Italian should have it regularly.

Italian cuisine, ambiance, Italians whom I have encountered:  I have enjoyed all of those experiences.  Costa is a line that I kept considering in recent years.  Just never made a booking.  

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Basil ice cream: sounds interesting.  

Actually, I came here to ask if anyone ever had Spumoni on a cruise.  The name came to me, unbidden, this morning, and I've been drooling at the thought of it.  Cherry, pistachio, and chocolate ice cream or gelato, with bits of nuts and fruits throughout. 

Our Italian Bakery's make Gelato fresh homemade. They also prep the items ahead. Marinate the Cherrys, Fresh Shelled Pista and Ice Cream or Gelato are made with finest Valrhona Dark Chocolate. It's to die for. Never tasted Choco like that.

But the Basil Ice Cream I missed this year. It was very interesting to have tried last year and would keep it all year in the house. Have to see if I can make it at home.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 8:30 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Our Italian Bakery's make Gelato fresh homemade. They also prep the items ahead. Marinate the Cherrys, Fresh Shelled Pista and Ice Cream or Gelato are made with finest Valrhona Dark Chocolate. It's to die for. Never tasted Choco like that.

But the Basil Ice Cream I missed this year. It was very interesting to have tried last year and would keep it all year in the house. Have to see if I can make it at home.

A friend of mine developed a Vegan Gelato called Genuto.However,at present it is only available in stores in Northern California.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We had Baked Alaska for the first time in 2018 on our Alaskan cruise. Ever since then, I make one every year for my family of 5 (plus my mom who comes over that day). We've had several flavors and it's easy to make, it just takes time to freeze everything. In 2022, we had pistachio and strawberry ice cream with a brownie layer instead of pound cake, and I made them in individual Bundt pans which was lots easier than making one big one.

I'm a sucker for Creme Brulee or Tiramisu when we have a nice dinner, but also love a good carrot cake or layered chocolate cake. Truthfully, I haven't met many desserts that I don't like.

31 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

We had Baked Alaska for the first time in 2018 on our Alaskan cruise. Ever since then, I make one every year for my family of 5 (plus my mom who comes over that day). We've had several flavors and it's easy to make, it just takes time to freeze everything. In 2022, we had pistachio and strawberry ice cream with a brownie layer instead of pound cake, and I made them in individual Bundt pans which was lots easier than making one big one.

I'm a sucker for Creme Brulee or Tiramisu when we have a nice dinner, but also love a good carrot cake or layered chocolate cake. Truthfully, I haven't met many desserts that I don't like.

Don't forget the Cherry Jubilee I hope you learned how to make on board. Our M'd taught us well for future use. What a accomplishment for BA.......  

11 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Don't forget the Cherry Jubilee I hope you learned how to make on board. Our M'd taught us well for future use. What a accomplishment for BA.......  

We didn't have Cherries Jubilee, and none of us like cherries anyway. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 3:24 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Can't beat it 

Love Cherries Jubilee!  I have had many renditions including the QE2…but the best was onboard the NCL Norway.  They set up a station in the beautiful Chambord dining room. They had a giant salad bowl that had to be at least 3 feet across and it was filled with perfectly ripe pitted bing cherries.  The Maitre D’ would masterly prepare the dish for each waiter so they could deliver the Cherries Jubilee a la minute.  That, I think, is the secret of good CJ…freshly made and delivered on the spot.

On 12/31/2022 at 4:57 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Love Cherries Jubilee!  I have had many renditions including the QE2…but the best was onboard the NCL Norway.  They set up a station in the beautiful Chambord dining room. They had a giant salad bowl that had to be at least 3 feet across and it was filled with perfectly ripe pitted bing cherries.  The Maitre D’ would masterly prepare the dish for each waiter so they could deliver the Cherries Jubilee a la minute.  That, I think, is the secret of good CJ…freshly made and delivered on the spot.

Hi CGT, hope you are feeling well!  I remember many, many years ago Celebrity's dining rooms did the same thing........The Maitr'd prepared it AND Bananas Foster tableside. It was quite the event LOL

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi CGT, hope you are feeling well!  I remember many, many years ago Celebrity's dining rooms did the same thing........The Maitr'd prepared it AND Bananas Foster tableside. It was quite the event LOL

Those were the days Lois when the Roux brothers ruled the galleys of Celebrity ships!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL YOU FOODIES!  Let’s hope 23 is better than 22.

CGT

• Like 1