Anthem or Allure, or Mariner and a couple extra nights in Orlando

Hi all,

This will be hubby and my first RCI cruise, this coming fall (assuming cruises do in fact sail.)  My first two cruises were on Carnival, and he and I have both been on newer NCL and HAL cruises.  For the longest time I've been wanting to try Allure of the Seas.  I know Allure isn't so new anymore but I love all the pictures and reviews I've read.

Just looking for lots of opinions, please.  I've sort of eliminated this option, but not completely---  9 nt. Anthem of the seas NYE cruise this Dec., out of NJ.  We could drive up from VA and spend one night at hotel.  On paper it's exactly what I want--- nine nights (I always want more than seven,) five whopping days at sea (I always want more than 2-3 days at sea, and it goes to the one port I need to go to--- Labadee.)  But the reviews don't seem as good as the Allure and the pictures of the ships interior don't look as pretty as the Allure.  We went on the new Nieuw Statendam 12/19, a couple months before the pandemic started, and it was gorgeous.  The pictures of the pool area on this ship just look okay.

2nd, but main option--- 7 nt. Allure late September or early October (this year), out of Port Canaveral.  We could drive or fly down and then do another thing I've always wanted to--- go to Disney World.  I've been to Disneyland dozens of times, growing up in SoCal, but never to Disney World.  I think this is the best option as long as hubby agrees to it.  This also has a stop at Coco Cay, which I'd really like to see.  We've been to Half Moon Key, very nice, twice and would like to see another private island.

3rd option--- 4 nt. Mariner this Oct., out of Port Canaveral.  Similar to option two, BUT we could stay an extra night or two at maybe a more expensive hotel/resort in or near Disney World and go to Disney World two days instead of one, and/or Epcot, or Wild Animal Park, or Sea World, or....  I know this ship is older and it's only four nights.  This itinerary has just the one stop at Labadee, which is why I'm considering it, along with a longer Orlando portion of the trip.  Plus I'd love to sail out of Port Canaveral for a change.

Any comments/opinions on the ships and itineraries are welcomed!  We're late 40's-early 50's w/o kids.  Hubby isn't that picky but I like the newer nicer ships.  It doesn't have to be a mega ship, although most of RCI's are.  Last two cruises we got the drink package on NCL and HAL, which was great.  They both also have spa categories and RCI doesn't seem to, but I'm looking forward to going on one of their cruise and seeing Labadee.

Thank you!

First off I wouldnt waste time with SeaWorld as adults. To me it's more geared for kids who want a dolphin or whatever to splash the audience ..its all downhill after that imo.

I loved universal, would pick universal or disney whichever had the better deals.

I loved oasis pre amp. Allure isnt amped yet. Sept makes me a little nervous. I'd pick a date as far out as you can this year oct to dec. After nov the cso falls off and cruises might be less restricted. ..if I was booking now. 

Mariner is nice but it's not allure. 

• Like 2

Thank you firefly.  Sea World wasn't on the top of my list, so that's good to know.  I've read about the amplification.  I would pick Oasis, but it doesn't have the itinerary I want, leaving out of Port Canaveral.  I suppose we could hotel in Orlando, then drive or get transportation down to Miami but that's more planning.

What do you mean about cso?  I also know Sept is hotter and more likely hurricane season.  However, I meant to mention this in first post--- the Allure itinerary in late Sept is less full than later in Oct.  I probably shouldn't book based on that, but it would be nice if the ship wasn't completely full.

For me it would definitely be the 9N on Anthem. Fabulous ship and you’re getting an extra 2 nights on board. The longer the cruise the better imo. Having said that, I love Allure too. Voyager class not so much.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

Thank you firefly.  Sea World wasn't on the top of my list, so that's good to know.  I've read about the amplification.  I would pick Oasis, but it doesn't have the itinerary I want, leaving out of Port Canaveral.  I suppose we could hotel in Orlando, then drive or get transportation down to Miami but that's more planning.

What do you mean about cso?  I also know Sept is hotter and more likely hurricane season.  However, I meant to mention this in first post--- the Allure itinerary in late Sept is less full than later in Oct.  I probably shouldn't book based on that, but it would be nice if the ship wasn't completely full.

The cdc CSO is full of mandates and doesnt fall off until nov 1st. Includes things like masks at the private island and no self serve buffets. Just further out might be fewer cdc rules in place. Btw coco cay is pretty fabulous imo. 

When you say spa what is it you want? I love the solarium on rcl ships. Shaded pool and I need to get out of the sun and like to read. The solarium on oasis serves meals, kinda healthy but meals. I ate there quite a bit to avoid the crowds at the buffet anyway. It's a gorgeous poo, with shade and usually plenty of seating.

Edited by firefly333

I have no opinion regarding your choice of cruise ships. However, October 1st begins Disney World’s 50th anniversary celebration, and it will be exciting - but crowded. If you decide to go there, you’ll need to have admission tickets in advance in order to make theme park reservations. 

• Like 1

I like oasis class and voyager class , going on oasis class is like going to Disney world children everywhere which I don’t necessarily think it’s a good thing and entertainment on voyager class is good but not as good as oasis also more food choices , we are sailing on Allure in November in a grand suite.

1 minute ago, George C said:

I like oasis class and voyager class , going on oasis class is like going to Disney world children everywhere which I don’t necessarily think it’s a good thing and entertainment on voyager class is good but not as good as oasis also more food choices , we are sailing on Allure in November in a grand suite.

How nice for you regarding the grand suite.  Hubby has no interest in suites.  At least we always get a balcony.  No inside cabins! 🙂  I actually like kids, and don't mind 'some.'  But a ship full of them isn't so great.  That's why I always try to cruise when it's not a school holiday.

Voyager class- Mariner?  Did you mean less food choices on the Mariner?  I assume so.  Yes, it's a toss-up and I have a hard time deciding, and always want a longer/nicer trip.  Thanks for your response.

We have sailed on all there ships    My personal choice would be the NYE cruise on the Anthem.    9 nights is so much better than a 7 night cruise.   Plus should be an easy drive from VA to Cape Liberty, NJ.      I sailed out of this port many times and it is very convenient/easy to drive up to.     I have sailed Anthem several times and I prefer this ship over the Allure.     I am in my early 50's w/o children on vacation but we had lots of fun activities to do on the Anthem - love the bumper cars too!

Allure was nice to see the aqua show and the ice skating show but I don't know we just like Anthem better.     A NYE cruise will be lots of fun!   They go above and beyond on holidays too!

6 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

I have no opinion regarding your choice of cruise ships. However, October 1st begins Disney World’s 50th anniversary celebration, and it will be exciting - but crowded. If you decide to go there, you’ll need to have admission tickets in advance in order to make theme park reservations. 

Thanks Nancy- good to know about the 50th!!  I looked a while ago at when is a good time to visit DW.  One man's blog listed everything month by month, and it looked like October was a good time to visit.  Not as scorching hot, and fall is my favorite season.  🙂 

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

We have sailed on all there ships    My personal choice would be the NYE cruise on the Anthem.    9 nights is so much better than a 7 night cruise.   Plus should be an easy drive from VA to Cape Liberty, NJ.      I sailed out of this port many times and it is very convenient/easy to drive up to.     I have sailed Anthem several times and I prefer this ship over the Allure.     I am in my early 50's w/o children on vacation but we had lots of fun activities to do on the Anthem - love the bumper cars too!

Allure was nice to see the aqua show and the ice skating show but I don't know we just like Anthem better.     A NYE cruise will be lots of fun!   They go above and beyond on holidays too!

I'm responding to all the responses so far.  Thanks Sunshine.  I was hoping people would elaborate in their responses.  I've never been on a holiday cruise, and I'm sure it would be fun, different and maybe more exciting.  So you liked the Anthem?  I'm sure it's a very nice ship.  I don't know why I got a so-so opinion of it from the reviews.  The price is almost the same as the 7 nt. Allure.  Maybe we'll just do a separate trip to Orlando another time.  So hard to decide 🙂 .

1 minute ago, smilesntravels said:

How nice for you regarding the grand suite.  Hubby has no interest in suites.  At least we always get a balcony.  No inside cabins! 🙂  I actually like kids, and don't mind 'some.'  But a ship full of them isn't so great.  That's why I always try to cruise when it's not a school holiday.

Voyager class- Mariner?  Did you mean less food choices on the Mariner?  I assume so.  Yes, it's a toss-up and I have a hard time deciding, and always want a longer/nicer trip.  Thanks for your response.

Yes mariner is a voyager class which I love not to big or small but less food choices than Allure. My last oasis class was week after thanksgiving which we normally cruise and don’t see many children but that week had lots of children, lots of attractions for children and adults on allure. On allure you should reserve seats for all the shows , ice , aqua , mama Mia , etc , no reservations on mariner .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

For me it would definitely be the 9N on Anthem. Fabulous ship and you’re getting an extra 2 nights on board. The longer the cruise the better imo. Having said that, I love Allure too. Voyager class not so much.

Thanks CaroleC.  I agree- the longer the better!  It's just little things I'm trying to decide on because I love to travel and we usually only do one trip a year.

1 minute ago, smilesntravels said:

Thanks CaroleC.  I agree- the longer the better!  It's just little things I'm trying to decide on because I love to travel and we usually only do one trip a year.

If you choose Anthem I’m sure you won’t regret it. There’s just something about that ship, to me it seems to have incorporated the best of all the classes plus it has its own unique features.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The cdc CSO is full of mandates and doesnt fall off until nov 1st. Includes things like masks at the private island and no self serve buffets. Just further out might be fewer cdc rules in place. Btw coco cay is pretty fabulous imo. 

When you say spa what is it you want? I love the solarium on rcl ships. Shaded pool and I need to get out of the sun and like to read. The solarium on oasis serves meals, kinda healthy but meals. I ate there quite a bit to avoid the crowds at the buffet anyway. It's a gorgeous poo, with shade and usually plenty of seating.

Oh I was just thinking out loud about the spa cabins on other lines.  I've just noticed that RCL doesn't have spa cabins, and since we haven't been on one yet I am guessing you just have to buy a spa pass for the week if you want.  Not that I spend tons of time there, I just like the idea of a spa cabin and going a few times.  There's never enough time to do all that I want, that's why I really would like the 9 nt. cruise.

I watch the news often and have been following the pandemic stuff all along, but am not one here that often and don't know what 'cso' means.  So those are mandates issued by CDC regarding cruises? Hmmm, and I didn't even want to cruise in Sept, but the itinerary and port location along with price all sounded good.   I was fine with mask wearing and all that, but it won't be much fun wearing one outside on an island :).  

A four night on Mariner would be called by some a party cruise, it would be my last choice, although we love Mariner.. We have been on Allure, Oasis, and Symphony four times.  Three have been transatlantics and one Caribbean. We have the Harmony transatlantic booked for this Oct.  You can see we love Oasis Class. Even though it carries 6000+ passengers it rarely feels crowded. It is much larger than Anthem and has more dining venues and I would say more shows and things to do. Even though it is a older ship it is in top shape.  We just spent about two months trying to decide between Odyssey April 2022 transatlantic and Allure April 2022 transatlantic, we picked Allure once again. Pretty sure the Harmony TA in Oct. will be cancelled.  Picking either Allure or Anthem will end up being a great cruise.  The two extra nights might lean me towards Anthem, but probably not.If I was in your shoes I would be watching  Anthem and Allure YouTube videos all night .happy cruising

40 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

If you choose Anthem I’m sure you won’t regret it. There’s just something about that ship, to me it seems to have incorporated the best of all the classes plus it has its own unique features.

Yes, that sums it up very well.  If I had to choose between anthem or allure I would pick anthem.

If I had to choose between a 9 night NYE cruise or a 7 night cruise, I would pick the 9 night Nye cruise.

@smilesntravels if your plan is to do disney someday, you want a couple days there.  Disney park, hollywood studio, epcot, universal, disney springs, their water park is very nice for adults too, lots to do and you would regret if you only had 1 or 2 days there.  

You may want to check out obstructed view OV balconies on Anthem.  There are some that really dont have much obstruction.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smilesntravels said:

Hi all,

This will be hubby and my first RCI cruise, this coming fall (assuming cruises do in fact sail.)  My first two cruises were on Carnival, and he and I have both been on newer NCL and HAL cruises.  For the longest time I've been wanting to try Allure of the Seas.  I know Allure isn't so new anymore but I love all the pictures and reviews I've read.

Just looking for lots of opinions, please.  I've sort of eliminated this option, but not completely---  9 nt. Anthem of the seas NYE cruise this Dec., out of NJ.  We could drive up from VA and spend one night at hotel.  On paper it's exactly what I want--- nine nights (I always want more than seven,) five whopping days at sea (I always want more than 2-3 days at sea, and it goes to the one port I need to go to--- Labadee.)  But the reviews don't seem as good as the Allure and the pictures of the ships interior don't look as pretty as the Allure.  We went on the new Nieuw Statendam 12/19, a couple months before the pandemic started, and it was gorgeous.  The pictures of the pool area on this ship just look okay.

2nd, but main option--- 7 nt. Allure late September or early October (this year), out of Port Canaveral.  We could drive or fly down and then do another thing I've always wanted to--- go to Disney World.  I've been to Disneyland dozens of times, growing up in SoCal, but never to Disney World.  I think this is the best option as long as hubby agrees to it.  This also has a stop at Coco Cay, which I'd really like to see.  We've been to Half Moon Key, very nice, twice and would like to see another private island.

3rd option--- 4 nt. Mariner this Oct., out of Port Canaveral.  Similar to option two, BUT we could stay an extra night or two at maybe a more expensive hotel/resort in or near Disney World and go to Disney World two days instead of one, and/or Epcot, or Wild Animal Park, or Sea World, or....  I know this ship is older and it's only four nights.  This itinerary has just the one stop at Labadee, which is why I'm considering it, along with a longer Orlando portion of the trip.  Plus I'd love to sail out of Port Canaveral for a change.

Any comments/opinions on the ships and itineraries are welcomed!  We're late 40's-early 50's w/o kids.  Hubby isn't that picky but I like the newer nicer ships.  It doesn't have to be a mega ship, although most of RCI's are.  Last two cruises we got the drink package on NCL and HAL, which was great.  They both also have spa categories and RCI doesn't seem to, but I'm looking forward to going on one of their cruise and seeing Labadee.

Thank you!

Before Covid I read where Mariner was Amped Up and sent to Port Canaveral but it was supposedly being set up for young people. I took that to mean a young and more partying crowd. 3 and 4 day cruises. That was the gist of the article. And of course you have your views to cruising.  Nice class of ship. 

27 minutes ago, florida eagle said:

Before Covid I read where Mariner was Amped Up and sent to Port Canaveral but it was supposedly being set up for young people. I took that to mean a young and more partying crowd. 3 and 4 day cruises. That was the gist of the article. And of course you have your views to cruising.  Nice class of ship. 

3 nights are more party vibe than 4 nights

I'm a little confused about what cabin category you are considering.  One of the responses above mentioned suite....so I'm going with that.  While I love the Quantum class ships (Anthem), I am NOT a fan of the Grand Suites on the Q class.  They have a wall that separates the bedroom and sitting area and it makes the suite seem very small and cramped.  I have never been in an Owner's Suite on the Q class but I think they are very scarce to begin with.  The suites, in general, are much bigger on the Oasis class (Allure) than they are on the Q class.  That rule goes all the way from Junior Suites up to the Star Class suites.  Since the Q class ships are narrow (as compared to the O class) there is just less room....pretty simple.  All things being equal, I would probably want the longer 9 night itin but if you're looking for a nice, big suite, you're going to get a better experience (IMO) on Allure than you would on Anthem.  Of course, as a general rule, Anthem suites are cheaper than corresponding suites on Allure so there's that.....

1 hour ago, florida eagle said:

Thanks for pointing that out.  That's part of the reason I wasn't really looking for a four nt cruise, or one out of Miami.  We're not old, but not 20's-30's anymore either :(.  We do drink and are friendly, but I'd rather have more kids than the real young party crowd.

40 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I'm a little confused about what cabin category you are considering.  One of the responses above mentioned suite....so I'm going with that.  While I love the Quantum class ships (Anthem), I am NOT a fan of the Grand Suites on the Q class.  They have a wall that separates the bedroom and sitting area and it makes the suite seem very small and cramped.  I have never been in an Owner's Suite on the Q class but I think they are very scarce to begin with.  The suites, in general, are much bigger on the Oasis class (Allure) than they are on the Q class.  That rule goes all the way from Junior Suites up to the Star Class suites.  Since the Q class ships are narrow (as compared to the O class) there is just less room....pretty simple.  All things being equal, I would probably want the longer 9 night itin but if you're looking for a nice, big suite, you're going to get a better experience (IMO) on Allure than you would on Anthem.  Of course, as a general rule, Anthem suites are cheaper than corresponding suites on Allure so there's that.....

Well thanks for that.  The one thing I didn't ask about was what cabin to get 🙂 .  The man just mentioned that he's getting a grand suite on his next anthem cruise.  So I said great, and mentioned that we're getting a balcony cabin.  I'd love to try a suite sometime, but the cost is kind of high.  I plan a good deal of trips for us and always like nice hotels, newer ships, a nice all inclusive resort, etc.  So O class is wider than Q class.  I think I read something about that.  I read a lot of reviews, just don't post a lot in here.

I agree on the 9 nt cruise, too.  As long as we're in a balcony cabin on a nice ship, that is what I want!

• Like 1

Just now, smilesntravels said:

Well thanks for that.  The one thing I didn't ask about was what cabin to get 🙂 .  The man just mentioned that he's getting a grand suite on his next anthem cruise.  So I said great, and mentioned that we're getting a balcony cabin.  I'd love to try a suite sometime, but the cost is kind of high.  I plan a good deal of trips for us and always like nice hotels, newer ships, a nice all inclusive resort, etc.  So O class is wider than Q class.  I think I read something about that.  I read a lot of reviews, just don't post a lot in here.

I agree on the 9 nt cruise, too.  As long as we're in a balcony cabin on a nice ship, that is what I want!

On his next Allure cruise, not Anthem.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, that sums it up very well.  If I had to choose between anthem or allure I would pick anthem.

If I had to choose between a 9 night NYE cruise or a 7 night cruise, I would pick the 9 night Nye cruise.

@smilesntravels if your plan is to do disney someday, you want a couple days there.  Disney park, hollywood studio, epcot, universal, disney springs, their water park is very nice for adults too, lots to do and you would regret if you only had 1 or 2 days there.  

You may want to check out obstructed view OV balconies on Anthem.  There are some that really dont have much obstruction.  

Thanks Sunshine.  I actually like the larger balcony cabins on Anthem, and already priced them.  So a few people now say they'd pick the 9 nt.  It is what I want- a longer cruise with more sea days, and Labadee.  I would love to say that I've been to Haiti, even if it is their private closed off section.

Well we would do 3-4 nights in Orlando.  But 4-5 would be better, that's why I thought maybe do the four night cruise  But now I'm thinking no to that.  I agree one day isn't enough, but also thought if we don't have a lot of time to at least spend one whole day at DW.  Thanks for your opinion on the Anthem.  I now know it was the Aqua show on Allure that I'd like to see, and the Rock of Ages show (or something like that) on the Anthem is what didn't appeal to me.  Anyway, all the responses are helping me to decide.