DeSantis is OK with NCL leaving Florida

coaster

Looks like this is on the way to being resolved:

The Florida Health Department informed Royal Caribbean this week it can directly appeal to the CDC to begin cruises.

One of the mandates included in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) plan for cruise ships to be able to restart sailings from the United States is for each line to  secure agreements with port and health authorities in the U.S. cities they plan to visit.

Royal Caribbean Group announced it had signed a port agreement with Port Canaveral to operate cruise ships, and Port Everglades informed RoyalCaribbeanBlog it had also signed a similar port agreement with Royal Caribbean Group on May 10.

The agreement explains what the cruise terminal would do in the case of Covid-19 cases on a cruise ship, as well as how it intends to keep the cruise terminal and gangways sanitized.

In the letter, Dr. Rivkees said Florida has "limited statutory authority with respect to cruise lines, and the Department's permission is not required for your company to resume operations."

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Looks like this is on the way to being resolved:

In the letter, Dr. Rivkees said Florida has "limited statutory authority with respect to cruise lines, and the Department's permission is not required for your company to resume operations."

I hope you're right, but I don't think so.  I'm guessing that the Governor/Legislature are of the opinion that vaccination requirements are more than just a health issue.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

I hope you're right, but I don't think so.  I'm guessing that the Governor/Legislature are of the opinion that vaccination requirements are more than just a health issue.

I'm still wondering if RCI can get around Florida's law about not being able to ask passengers their vaccine status by having passengers provide that info online (i.e. upload a covid vaccination card). That way. the cruise lines are not asking the vaccination status literally from Florida?

Btw, got any cheese?

rat-60.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, texasaggies said:

I'm still wondering if RCI can get around Florida's law about not being able to ask passengers their vaccine status by having passengers provide that info online (i.e. upload a covid vaccination card). That way. the cruise lines are not asking the vaccination status literally from Florida?

rat-60.gif

I think that is the plan everywhere.  They can refuse to issue boarding documents regardless of what FLA has to say about it.  Sure, there might still be some people without computers/internet who would show up at the dock, but I'm guessing that might be a very looooong, slooooow, "special" line.  More likely, they'll send notification that if a person can't upload their documents they will need to send in copies at least two weeks prior.  Those without computers likely use a TA, who would upload it for them.  Nice RAT!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

I think that is the plan everywhere.  They can refuse to issue boarding documents regardless of what FLA has to say about it.  Sure, there might still be some people without computers/internet who would show up at the dock, but I'm guessing that might be a very looooong, slooooow, "special" line.  More likely, they'll send notification that if a person can't upload their documents they will need to send in copies at least two weeks prior.  Those without computers likely use a TA, who would upload it for them.  Nice RAT!!!!!

I think it will be both.  You have to upload proof of COVID vaccination 30 days prior to embarkation (all below taken from NCL's Sail Safe guidelines.

Proof of vaccination must be submitted prior to sailing. Proof must be in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by either the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination or the guest's medical provider that completed the vaccine administration. Electronic vaccination records will be accepted for residents of countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form. Communication regarding proof of vaccination submission will be sent to all booked guests in the 30 days prior to setting sail.

At the dock....

At this time, we expect each guest will need to provide the following:

• For cruises with embarkation dates through October 31, 2021, all guests must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date with an authorized vaccine;
  • Any documentation required from the country where you are embarking the vessel. This could include proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for entry into the country and will vary by departure country and is the responsibility of the guest;
  • Negative COVID-19 antigen test result prior to embarkation, which will be administered and paid for by cruise line;
  • Completed health questionnaire;
  • Typical travel documents, including passport or any visas as required by the departure country.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I think it will be both.  You have to upload proof of COVID vaccination 30 days prior to embarkation (all below taken from NCL's Sail Safe guidelines.

Proof of vaccination must be submitted prior to sailing. Proof must be in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by either the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination or the guest's medical provider that completed the vaccine administration. Electronic vaccination records will be accepted for residents of countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form. Communication regarding proof of vaccination submission will be sent to all booked guests in the 30 days prior to setting sail.

At the dock....

At this time, we expect each guest will need to provide the following:

• For cruises with embarkation dates through October 31, 2021, all guests must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date with an authorized vaccine;
  • Any documentation required from the country where you are embarking the vessel. This could include proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for entry into the country and will vary by departure country and is the responsibility of the guest;
  • Negative COVID-19 antigen test result prior to embarkation, which will be administered and paid for by cruise line;
  • Completed health questionnaire;
  • Typical travel documents, including passport or any visas as required by the departure country.

We have a tendency to book last minute, usually two weeks out. Would we not be eligible to book that late because proof of vaccination must be done 30 days prior to setting sail? Will our last minute bookings be a thing of the past? What do you think?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

We have a tendency to book last minute, usually two weeks out. Would we not be eligible to book that late because proof of vaccination must be done 30 days prior to setting sail? Will our last minute bookings be a thing of the past? What do you think?

Great thought and question.  We switched from LMB's, which we used successfully, to forward bookings a couple of years ago if the CL was making an attractive offer (usually, an onboard future cruise consultant would set up appointment with us to make a pitch).

Again, great question, especially if your country has adopted the 12-week interval regimen for the vaccine (professes 3X antibodies).  

8 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I book last minute cruises too but since I don't plan on sailing before December, I bet that deadline will change to within 24 hours of embarkation.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

30 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

"All below taken from NCL safe Travels"? It's a bit eye opening that you failed to actually read the guidelines you referenced and thus came away with the conclusion that.... "You have to upload proof of COVID vaccination 30 days prior to embarkation?" That is not at all what NCL says.

NCL safe travels guidelines (which you quoted but didn't read) says that communication about how you will prove you are vaccinated will be sent in the 30 days prior. There is nothing here even remotely implying that proof must be sent 30 days prior.  In fact, it's suggesting the opposite. They don't want anything until 30 days prior at the earliest

We all make errors at times reporting information on the forum, but doing so on a daily basis is irresponsible.

21 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I am also a last minute cruise booker.  I rarely book anything more than 2-3 weeks out....sometimes 4 weeks max.  NCL was unique in a way that you could get some really good deals if you waited until the last minute to book.  That was just the opposite of the other cruise lines, which seemed to have better pricing the earlier you booked.  One way's not better or worse than the others....just a different pricing philosophies. 

I did book an MSC Mediterranean cruise 3 months out a couple of years ago.  But, I had  my GF, my son, my sisters and my nephews in tow.  Getting everyone singing from the same page of the hymnal on that one was a minor miracle.

For the foreseeable future, I don't think being able to book a week or two out from embarkation is going to be possible.

That said, I got a tremendous deal on the Joy sailing from Montego Bay this August for a Haven Suite.  That fare is the cheapest I've ever paid for a Haven Suite.  Weird circumstances as it's only the 3rd sailing of the Joy after lockdown.  Still, it's a sweet deal.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:48 PM, CaptainWoody said:

Yeah, I already had to upload my covid vaccination card to the Bahamian Health Authority to get my Bahamas Health Travel Visa (for my Adventure of the Seas cruise, July 17-24, 2021. @HBCcruiser will be aboard also, making this the 1st official "rodent pack" cruise).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, texasaggies said:

Yeah, I already had to upload my covid vaccination card to the Bahamian Health Authority to get my Bahamas Health Travel Visa (for my Adventure of the Seas cruise, July 17-24, 2021. @HBCcruiser will be aboard also, making this the 1st official "rodent pack" cruise).

I was thinking about Farmer since he is sailing out of the DR and it looks like the rodent pack thread has been deleted? 

Did any other port require you to upload the vaccine card or just Bahamas?

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 9:36 PM, CaptainWoody said:

That seems a bit silly.  I would imagine that the cruise lines will just require that a passenger upload a scanned image of their vaccination card as part of check in, while also suggesting that they have a copy when they sail.

While it's pretty hard to create a fake passport that wouldn't get flagged by security checks the lines run on passenger lists before sailing, a vaccination card is an entirely different beast.

I know Celebrity is requiring the physical card at boarding in St. Maarten. From their travel guidelines website for St. Maarten: "Proof of vaccination is required in the form of the original vaccination card. No photocopies or photos accepted."

Celebrity already has fully electronic check in (no waiting in line for a desk agent). You scan you passport, put a credit card on file,  and take a photo at home via the app before boarding, then the app spits out a code. In the terminal, reps with tablets can the code, look at your passport (and now I assume your CDC card) and you stroll through security and onto the ship.

I don't anticipate it will cause any extra delays, and having physical vaccination cards reviewed by the agents will definitely make me feel safer on board next month.

I just contacted NCL using their chat function and the representative told me two things I'd asked about:

1. Vaccination card will be required to show proof

2. Ship will be sailing at reduced capacity, but she didn't say how much

Of course, as with everything Covid-related these days, things are subject to change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I just contacted NCL using their chat function and the representative told me two things I'd asked about:

1. Vaccination card will be required to show proof

2. Ship will be sailing at reduced capacity, but she didn't say how much

Of course, as with everything Covid-related these days, things are subject to change.

I had heard sailing at 50% capacity from a couple of different sources.  The proof of COVID vaccine has been consistent.    Prices are going up on my August 28th cruise on the Joy.  I'm assuming they are nearing that 50% capacity range.

• Like 1

Given the reduced capacity sailings for at least August sailings, I'm trying to wrap my head around that 50% number on a ship the size of the Joy.  No crowded loungers around the pool areas.  No lines at the bars.  Restaurants should be easy to find a time and table you want.  No crowds waiting for shows.

Hoping this will be fun!

• Like 1

Just now, graphicguy said:

I had heard sailing at 50% capacity from a couple of different sources.  The proof of COVID vaccine has been consistent.    Prices are going up on my August 28th cruise on the Joy.  I'm assuming they are nearing that 50% capacity range.

Thank you.

We booked a MB for our Gem cruise and the sailing one week prior to ours costs $300 more. The early sailings in August and the later ones in October were also more expensive, I guess for some reason our dates got discounted, but who knows why? 

At any rate, given the Gem's capacity of ~ 2400, at 50% capacity there'll be a maximum of 1200.

Not too shabby!

• Like 1

On the reduced capacity sailings, I wonder how they will determine who is permitted to sail. For example, if the ship was 100% booked, how do they determine who is removed from the sailing? I feel like it should be based on the order in which people booked (the people who booked sooner are safe vs those who booked later). However, I can’t see them cancelling sailings booked in more expensive cabins, regardless of when they were booked. This will be really interesting.

2 hours ago, Murph269 said:

On the reduced capacity sailings, I wonder how they will determine who is permitted to sail. For example, if the ship was 100% booked, how do they determine who is removed from the sailing? I feel like it should be based on the order in which people booked (the people who booked sooner are safe vs those who booked later). However, I can’t see them cancelling sailings booked in more expensive cabins, regardless of when they were booked. This will be really interesting.

They will not book at 100% capacity.  They'll book only to 50% capacity (if that's indeed the number they're allowing to sail).  Therefore, no one will be removed from the sailing.  Once 50% capacity is achieved, bookings will close.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

They will not book at 100% capacity.  They'll book only to 50% capacity (if that's indeed the number they're allowing to sail).  Therefore, no one will be removed from the sailing.  Once 50% capacity is achieved, bookings will close.

I’m referring to sailings that were already booked beyond 50% prior to the capacity limit decision. For example, what if a cruise leaving in September has already been booked beyond 50% capacity since bookings have been available for that cruise for over a year now?

Edited by Murph269

14 minutes ago, Murph269 said:

I’m referring to sailings that were already booked beyond 50% prior to the capacity limit decision. For example, what if a cruise leaving in September has already been booked beyond 50% capacity since bookings have been available for that cruise for over a year now?

To my knowledge, all bookings were cancelled through 2021 for any NCL sailings originating in North America, and just recently opened back up.  Granted, I haven't looked at all of them over the last several months.  But, I know the ones I had scheduled for 2021 were all canceled.  I just booked the Joy a few weeks ago, and I believe August was the first month they offered start up sailings.

IF they did offer sailings during this whole period of shutdown, I'm thinking they were not close to the 50% capacity.

The 50% capacity sailing still hasn't been officially mentioned by NCL.  I know my TA says that's what they said NCL's plan was, but that was a few weeks ago.

My guess is no one who is booked on anything currently will be "kicked off" the sailing.

But, that's a question you might want to ask your PCC or TA.  They might have more insight than my TA or I.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

To my knowledge, all bookings were cancelled through 2021 for any NCL sailings originating in North America, and just recently opened back up.  Granted, I haven't looked at all of them over the last several months.  But, I know the ones I had scheduled for 2021 were all canceled.  I just booked the Joy a few weeks ago, and I believe August was the first month they offered start up sailings.

IF they did offer sailings during this whole period of shutdown, I'm thinking they were not close to the 50% capacity.

The 50% capacity sailing still hasn't been officially mentioned by NCL.  I know my TA says that's what they said NCL's plan was, but that was a few weeks ago.

My guess is no one who is booked on anything currently will be "kicked off" the sailing.

But, that's a question you might want to ask your PCC or TA.  They might have more insight than my TA or I.

Interesting. Last year I booked a sailing on the Encore out of Miami for the last week of November 2021. That was never cancelled, but that’s also after the 10/31 expiration of the CDC order, so maybe that has something to do with it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Murph269 said:

Interesting. Last year I booked a sailing on the Encore out of Miami for the last week of November 2021. That was never cancelled, but that’s also after the 10/31 expiration of the CDC order, so maybe that has something to do with it. 

Probably does.  I know they cancelled a Caribbean cruise and two Alaska cruises for me.  One was in February then March and finally May of this year.  They cancelled about 2 months before sailing.  So, my guess is yours is good to go.  I think a lot of people cancelled on their own when NCL offered either cash refunds or 110%-125% FCC and no penalties for cancellation.

My guess is your reservation is fine.