Alaska Tourism Recovery Act Passes U.S. Senate

joepeka

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wonder what the "for other purposes" could be....?

This is a routine phrase that is inserted into many, many pieces of legislation that our Congress considers and/or passes.  Sometimes the titles of Bills/Resolutions are so long and detailed that it would take too much time for the Clerk of the House and/or Senate to read the entire title.  Congress already wastes (in my opinion) to much legislative time.  Having the Clerk to read an abbreviated version is a better use of the Senate's and House's time in session.

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

- also from BC and my view is that we (BC and Canada as a whole) really screwed up on this! Fingers crossed it truly IS just a temporary measure...

I understand your concern.  What starts out as "temporary" sometimes becomes not so "temporary".  

For the sake of Canadians as well as those of us who enjoy spending time in your Country, I hope that it will be temporary as well.  

• Like 2

On 5/18/2021 at 2:50 PM, NavArch64 said:

I suppose Nancy P could "zip" it through on a voice vote anytime the House is in session if she chooses

The Speaker so chose.  To me, such quick passage of some legislation encourages me to think that our Congress is not as dysfunctional as it too often seems to be.  

• Like 1